Project Oliver

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm a little over $2k licensed and on the road. All it "needs" now is a fan shroud.

Some impressions after our trip to the Swell last weekend.

I love this thing. It rides so smooth on dirt roads. I now understand a little of the DC taco hype. We did 400 miles in it over the weekend loaded up with gear for 3 plus a huge fat dog. It got 21mpg! That really surprised me.

It does need the rear springs replaced. With gear in the back it was constantly hitting the bump stops.

I will call the Toyota Dealership today and get the rear spring recall scheduled. I am going to see if I can get the 99 highlander springs since they are 1" taller.

I may also pick up a set of tundra front struts that are on KSL. They are only $40 and have 50k miles on them so it's a cheap way to replace my front springs and shocks.

Overall, I am really happy with this rig. How it handles dirt roads, the space inside for my wife and I and a couple kids and the fuel economy. I think I will be driving/moding this thing for years to come.

IMAG0245.jpg

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Well I've been enjoying the runner as much as my family will let me. My MIL was in town for a few weeks and drove it the whole time. I finally got it back and my boys truck broke, then my jeep so I just started driving it again.

The break helped me realize how bad 90's stereos were. For Father's day my wife bought me a deck and some speakers so this week they went in.
Door speakers before
View attachment 100222

And after.

View attachment 100223

Sounds so much better now
While I had everything out I hard wired a new 12v socket to the battery since the old one was broken and Toyota switches their outlets.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
This week the 4 Runner let me down.

It has had a fail to start on two occasions where all I get is a click. It does this one or two times then starts. The battery is good so I figured a dead spot in the starter or a bad solenoid. Well this week it changed. I started it up in a parking lot and as I was heading to the road I noticed it was making a noise. I rolled the window down and couldn't determine the cause so I pulled over and shut if off. Well, I turned the key off and noticed the started was still cranking. I tried the key several times with no luck so I pulled the neg terminal. Tapped the starter several times with a hammer and it was still cranking with the terminal connected. I wasn't sure if it was the starter or the relay/ignition switch so I pulled the starter relay and connected the neg terminal. Still cranked, it was the starter. A few more taps on the starter with a hammer and it stopped cranking. I got it home and pulled the starter and checked the solenoid. I think these contacts have seen better days.

IMAG0531.jpg

Got a new set at the dealer and threw them in. Total job took about 2 hours. While I was pulling the starter I noticed this

IMAG0534.jpg

Holy cow are they proud of Toyota sway bar end links. I ended up buying a cheap lifetime warranty part from Autozone but hey, it's easy to replace if it fails.

The Runner is now at 153K miles and was due for an oil change so I knocked that out while I was dirty.

I have really been loving this rig but it definitely needs some new suspension. The rear is hitting the bump stops regularly. A set of OME coils/shocks and new tires are in the fall/winter plans.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have really been loving this rig but it definitely needs some new suspension. The rear is hitting the bump stops regularly. A set of OME coils/shocks and new tires are in the fall/winter plans.

Check to see if it has an open recall for the rear springs, mine was doing this same thing swapped out from recall in no time. No issue after that.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Check to see if it has an open recall for the rear springs, mine was doing this same thing swapped out from recall in no time. No issue after that.
It does have the recalled Springs and they haven't been replaced. I need to get it in and have them replaced.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Ok, I am now ready to upgrade the suspension on this rig. I'll be placing an order for an OME kit in the next week or so.

Question for those that have had OME stuff on a 3rd gen 4 Runner.
Which springs should I go with?

I mostly DD and explore dirt roads on day trips with this rig and it is great for that. I am not looking to convert it into an overland vehicle. It won't every have an RTT, a drawer setup or a bunch of added weight in bumpers. I do camp out of it on occasion but pretty light weight, 2 adults 1 child, cooler tent and a change of clothes. I also haul my mountain bike on a hitch rack that combined weighs about 150 lbs.

So for daily driver comfort, lightly loaded often(200lbs in the rear) and an occasional camping trip, what would be my best bet?

ricsrx

i bought my kit used and dont know the spring rate, but my CV boots on both inner CV's tore with in 2 months, maybe i should have lowered the front diff to offset this.... any way i strapped the torn end of the boots down to the axle to prevent CV contamination and grease loss but it was a lame repair at best...

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Got a little bit done on the rear today before work.

For reference I did some pre lift measurements.
Drivers side from the ground to the fender lip at the middle of the wheel well is 35 3/4" both front and rear.
Passenger side is 36".

I am running Jeep Rubicon take offs I think they are 255/75/17.

I started on the rear because I don't have a spring compressor and didn't want to bother with that today in the few hours I had.

Kevin had mentioned that the rear shocks are a beast. I agree but no worse on this model than any other car I have replace rear shocks on. It should be industry standard to have flats on the shock shaft below the bottom bushings where you can actually hold it with a wrench.

I started by supporting the frame on jack stands and removed the wheels so I could get the rear axle to droop. I disconnected the sway bar end links on both sides, the three tabs the hold the rear brake line on the axle (this was probably not needed) and the frame side track bar mount. At this point I noticed the shocks were my limit so I removed the lower shock mounting bolt and pried them off the stud.

Then I was able to pull the axle down enough that the coils springs came out without much work. Now I had ample room to get to the top shock bolt.

I started on the drivers side with this setup but didn't take pictures. (this is the passenger side)
shock.JPG

The nut was rusted on. This is a 97 and these are factory 19 year old shocks. I ended up busting the weld where the dust cover meets the shaft so I pulled out the sawzall and cut the shaft and pushed it and the top bushing up through from the bottom.
Luckily the passenger side came off after only slipping once and smashing the shit out of my finger between the ratchet and frame.

With both shocks and coils out of the rear I cleaned up the surface rust on the upper shock mounts with a wire wheel and sprayed some POR15 on them.

Some comparison shots of the old and new springs before they go on.
spring.JPG

1997 factory shocks vs the now OME nitro's
Capture.JPG

I'm hoping I can finish the install tomorrow.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Got the rear buttoned up last night.

0f85d1eec15fbc2536325649dd5e8bc1.jpg

This might be the most rust free 97 Toyota in Utah.

Stated working on the front but the spring compressor I rented from Auto zone was making contact with the shock body. After a few adjustments I found the correct combination of which coil to pull and the order of shock, boot and Bushings.

Front strut before
0ac32f7c771fb3bb926b8c662800220d.jpg

Old spring and shock vs the Ome
dbfa64ed068fe5b1ec7032a356663f63.jpg

Nitro shock with 2880 coil installed.
a08491b07405fc0360450b21f66e4b28.jpg

Measurements for at the fender are now 38" so I got exactly 2" of lift.

I'm pretty stoked how it turned out.

716e7651fe221206695c315e7dc94e70.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
That looks great and you just really gotta love the cheap rubicon take offs don't you? Thanks for the pics.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Thanks guys. I am really liking this rig. I think the tire size/lift is perfect for what I use it for.

I have a few hundred miles on the suspension now and I am loving the OME kit. I was a little hesitant to go with the spring choice I did. I usually error on the side of too stiff and usually regret it. This time I figured I'd listen to the manufacture, crazy I know. It is so much better than the clapped out stock stuff. I can't wait to load it up for some camping in a month or two.

That looks great and you just really gotta love the cheap rubicon take offs don't you? Thanks for the pics.

I really didn't want MT tires on this rig as I am a grown up now and am capable of making good decisions and this thing is a 90% pavement machine. BUT, they are such a good tire and I paid $300 for 5 almost brand new tires and they fit this rig so well. I am afraid my cheap side will keep this thing humming down the highway for the foreseeable future.