Land Rover Project: Sexy Back: Love is in the Eye of the beholder.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
You must get a testosterone IV every day to have this much energy. This thing is cool

No. I don't think my wife would like me taking testosterone. LOL. Thanks though.

Just hate wasting time watching tv. Plus I work from home. I don't have to waste time commuting. So I have those hours to do stuff. I try to complete on task per day except Sunday.

I really should spend more time on my business..

Just want to get this done before summer.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Radiator support and wiring is all done.

Next up air intake, using a Donaldson air filter assembly. Running out of room pretty quickly under the hood. I'm going to have to do some trickery here.

34728341_10155746207925028_2151966850827681792_o.jpg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So update,

The engine has a blown headgasket on the passenger side. I finally got it filled with water and got it up to operating temperature yesterday. The cooling system seemed to be getting over pressurized and then I noticed it was starting to leak water from the passenger-side. Thinking, what hoses do I have over there, none, damn. I crawl under and can see water coming out from the head.

So annoyed with the ebay seller of this engine I could kill him. I have had to basically repair the whole thing. So I'm ordering a headgasket kit and headstuds. I'll have the heads decked locally. Doesn't look like a horrible job. Would have been a lot easier to do outside of the vehicle, but oh well.

This will put me back a few weeks, but its summer and I wasn't planning on going anywhere fun until this fall.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Dang, that sucks! Any recourse with the seller thru Ebay or PayPal? I'd try get a partial refund if he claimed it was good to go.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Yeah. I just did a charge back on my credit card. I'm pissed. This engine was a freaking mess. Definitely not just pulled and running perfect like the seller said.

That said it should be like new when it's done. It sounds good even with a blown head gasket

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The head gasket was blown. Making it hard to start and leaking water out from the head.

You'd think that by putting a different kind of non- Land Rover engine in it I'd be done with head gaskets. Well lesson learned head gasket God's. Well played Land Rover. Well played

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The head gasket was blown. Making it hard to start and leaking water out from the head.

You'd think that by putting a different kind of non- Land Rover engine in it I'd be done with head gaskets. Well lesson learned head gasket God's. Well played Land Rover. Well played

Well, you did swap in an engine that commonly had head/head gasket problems. Hope it runs well for you now! :usa:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Ok, I haven't updated in a while. My buddy and I bought some defenders 110's and have been fixing those up.

I finally got to work on this last night.

The new engine had a 4L80E on it. Unfortunately I didn't realize the flexplate was different until I had the transmission all bolted up and was trying to hook the torque converter up to it. I had to order a flexplate for a 700R4. That been sitting in the garage for a month now. I decided to finally swap it out last night. It actually didn't go to bad and I had it swapped out and back together in about 3 hours. With some time left in the night, I decided it was time to redo the transmission crossmember I had cobbled together in a hurry when I first did the swap.

I had purchased a cross-member for a chevy truck with a 700R4 about 8 months ago, but they sent me the wrong one. I think they sold me one for a 4x4. They apologized and refunded me my money. I asked how they wanted me to ship it back to them. They said I could just keep it. So its been collecting dust on the shelf for months. Last night I took some measurements, figured out how to shorten it down and make it mount up to my 4x4 700R4.

I just bought a tig welder and decided it was time to practice on something. So after cutting this thing up, I welded it all back together with the tig welder. It went pretty good. I'm starting to get the hang of it. My welds are not the pretty yet. But I can work on that. I know I got good penetration and things are not going to break.

After I finished building that, I went to bed.

This morning I installed it and welded my mounting points into the frame. It fits very well, uses the stock bushings, and has a lot more clearance than the old one. I'll try to post some pictures when I get around to it.

I only have a short list of things left to do:

1. Have the rear driveshaft lengthened
  2. Hook up the transmission wiring
  3. Figure out the transmission kick down cable / pressure cable (or go full manual conversion, probably going to do this)
  4. Put the hood on
  5. Paint the new wheels I got for it

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Full manual reverse valve body with engine braking is installed.

Wasn’t horrible. The instructions sucked. Kept getting stuck or scared I was going to screw it up. But it’s all back together. I’ll fill it up tomorrow and hopefully take it for a quick spin.

All I have left to do is hook up some wiring from the transmission to a switch so I can control the torque converter lockout.

D13AC7C6-DAAB-46CA-BB24-104AA857B9C7.jpegB08A760D-3449-48A4-A6B9-8D631C776E19.jpeg34D37D82-910A-40F8-8A15-DA152CCBB815.jpeg1F8B0DD6-E45E-4619-9338-A5D63B14D5B5.jpeg71034E19-3C99-4FFE-9AB4-7AA9FDC01867.jpeg