Isuzu Project: Stratotrooper

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Did you at least get them to install some bionic upgrades while they were in there? :)

$6,000,000 doesn't go as far as it used to, sadly... :confused:

Wow, that sucks. Best wishes on healing and getting better. I used to run gates at Nordic Valley way back in the day. Fun night skiing and race training for a little resort.

Thanks. It was my first time there. Seemed like a fun little spot. My girlfriend and I had free passes from seeing a Warren Miller film in October. Not so free anymore. :rofl:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Phase II:

So the kid who backed into me and I had decided to handle everything without insurance. The damage to his Subaru was far greater to the damage to the Trooper and he wanted to avoid having to pay his deductible. Fine. And really since I was planning on rebuilding the bumper anyway and everything drives fine, I was just looking for a couple hundred bucks to help that along. After going back and forth via e-mail a few times, we settled that he'd give me $200 in two payments because he was "running on fumes."
First payment was supposed to be the 11th, second on the 15th. I sent him an e-mail while I was literally laying in the ER on the 15th saying that I hadn't received anything on the 11th, could he get me everything that day. And if not, let me know. Honestly, at that point I was fine if he needed more time because, yaknow, I suddenly was in no rush to get things fixed! But just communicate your intentions with me so I know.
Nothing. Radio silence. So finally last Friday, the 22nd, after not hearing a thing since the 11th, I said F it and called my insurance. I had all his info including his policy number, so I opened a claim. Lo, come Monday morning he'd sent the money to my girlfriend's Venmo account (what the hell is the point of Venmo if there is PayPal, by the way?). And I got this lovely e-mail from him:

46497808194_dc038ee371_c.jpg

Cry me an F-ing river, kid! God forbid that you'd be held accountable for crashing into someone! I feel SO bad that you have to live off Ramen for a week. Give me a break. He's damn lucky he didn't back into a brand new BMW or something. I was half tempted to let the insurance continue to have their way with him, but I canceled the claim.

God I hate people.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Since I'm still not able to do very much with the Trooper due to my injury, I've been thinking about paint and body work. Anyone know of a decent body shop? Not looking for concourse quality here, just a reputable shop that can take care of the little bit of rust and do a decent paint job. Figure if I cant be doing anything on it, I may as well have someone else working on it.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I recently used Higgins Autobody in West Jordan. They were excellent to work with and the repairs are flawless.
Higgins has a most excellent reputation.
Ive used Higgins as well and have been pleased.

Hows their pricing? Any body work I've had done in the past has been by Schneider's; and they are amazing but you pay for that. Since this is not a job that needs to be amazing; I don't want to pay premium pricing.

Tonkaman

Hows their pricing? Any body work I've had done in the past has been by Schneider's; and they are amazing but you pay for that. Since this is not a job that needs to be amazing; I don't want to pay premium pricing.
I have no idea, mine was an insurance claim.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
A few tips for saving money.

- offer to pay cash. Many shops will give a discount for that.
- negotiate the work during the summer months, it's their slow season in Northern Utah. The big rush for work is during winter, so shops are hungrier for work in mid-late summer.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Update of sorts. Took the Trooper out on its first real trip since the rebuild two weeks ago to the Swell. We ran Eagle Canyon, Eva Conover, North and South Coal Wash and Devils Racetrack. Everything was running like a champ until I bounced a bit on a ledge on Devils Racetrack. After that, unless I was in 4-Low it'd just sputter until I raced the engine up over 3500 rpm and dump the clutch.

Some basic diagnosis at camp had me thinking it was a bad fuel pump. Trailered it home, did some more tests for fuel pressure and it sure looks to be a pump. So now I'm soaking those tank bolts in anticipation of dropping that! Goodie. And right in the middle of buying a new house and moving; great timing...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
It is great timing...because that means you were able to use it. ;) That's a good change from the last couple months.

That is true. It was good to get out and do a bit of camping and use the Trooper. Crappy that it had to happen, but at least it was an old part; not something that I'd already rebuilt!