Toyota Project: TacoCart

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Disclaimer: not a real taco cart.

So here goes. I picked up this Tacoma from TRD270 last year and intended to use it as a mountain trail truck with the occasional side duty of getting groceries. But, I just couldn't leave well enough alone.

Project goals:
not-so obvious solid axle swap on coilovers / 3-link or radius style arms (still undecided) / etc
35" tires to keep some of the road manners (but I'll be damned if 37's are not tempting)
I'll also be building out some custom bumpers and other protection for it.

Parts I have accrued:
D44 waggy axle & ARB locker, 5.38 r&p
5.29's for the rear (I've read that the ratio is close enough...? Any experience with this?)
WFO frame plates
IFS steering box
Other misc items I'm sure I'm forgetting

So I finally started on this a few weeks ago, slowly cleaning up the donor front axle and last week removing the IFS from the tacoma. If anybody needs spare IFS stuff, let me know!

Cleaning up the front axle:

Stuff falling off:

Super excited to grind all of this:

Doing a rough check of axle placement. The goal for placement is a tad forward from previous centerline and about 2" over previous ride height for a total final lift of about 3.5 - 4"

And this last weekend I finished cleaning up the frame and prepping it for the WFO frame stiffeners.

:beer: Cheers!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I came for the taco.....I'll stay for the SaS. What truss are you going to install on the D44?

Probably nothing too special. I may run something the length of the longer side for strength but that's a maybe. My biggest concern is just preventing tube spin if I go with a 3 link.

OrangeSkidPlate

I remember seeing something about the different gear ratios on a runner build, it's fine if you are on loose surfaces but I believe they had issues on slick rock or hard surface. I had 4.88's in mine with 37's and it actually wasn't as horrible as I expected it to be. I mean, hills were fun.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Small bits of progress... chews up a lot of time prepping, measuring, double checking the frame plates and steering box mounts. I have the box mount tubes welded into the frame, hopefully it's as proper as can be. After doing more measuring I found out I'm gonna have to convert the oilpan, which is fine... just extra work I didn't account for. :)

I've also cut out the area for the steering box but didn't take a photo because I kinda hacked it up. I'll clean it up later once the box is fit.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I guess that means the axle goes where the sump currently is, huh? Too bad. At least changing a pan/pickup isn't *that* hard...