Toyota Project: TacoCart

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
We should have a get-together for the SAS rigs. :) Call it the Former Independent Suspension Truck run. Who's in for F.I.S.T.-fest?
What do you call the initiation ritual? X-D
You could do a road trip something like
Provo
Erda
Nephi
Iron county then back to
Salem

Seems to be a good trip for the new club
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That looks reeeeaaally close. You could rotate that bent horizontal tube out just a bit to gain some space....

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yea I was thinking about just making the lower piece without as much of a bend, that will kick it out a tad more.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
OK fine, I remade the lower bar with less of a bend, now I have 1/2" clearance at the bottom and 1 1/8" at the top. I feel like if this drums the tailgate I have bigger issues like a crappy mount to the frame. The hinge is really solid! (summit machine hinge)

66G0.jpg

Added the "too much bend" piece as the upper brace on the right side and the rest of it went to the center support, so I didn't waste anything really. :cool:
6IfL.jpg

I've had one of these nearly break off on the highway in the long past. Braced this one up good.
6Qyw.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
With the bumper nearly done (just need to pull off and fully weld / paint) I moved on to getting the rear shocks setup.

I went with 2" remote-res shocks at 12" length. I decided to outboard the shocks and also used the opportunity to have the shock mount help reinforce the frame (hence why it's extended far back)

Mounted, the shock has 5.25" uptravel.

6YJ1.jpg

6KDA.jpg

648c.jpg

6AIf.jpg

Here are a couple extra photos of the bumper after adding some extra bracing. I plan on making the bumper to frame mount stronger after I pull it to finish it up.

Quarter panel brace:
6Gdk.jpg

Up skirt:
6co3.jpg

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Those are bypass shocks?:thinking: In the pics it's hard to tell, but I assume the shock bodies are far enough away from the frame that they won't swing into it when the axle articulates? Will your shock hoops tie into the frame anywhere else to add to their frame-bracing qualities?

I like the relative simplicity of the bumper too. Have you considered adding bracing from the forward-most part of your bumper into the frame to keep those wings from kissing (killing) your lower bedsides.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Those are bypass shocks?:thinking: In the pics it's hard to tell, but I assume the shock bodies are far enough away from the frame that they won't swing into it when the axle articulates? Will your shock hoops tie into the frame anywhere else to add to their frame-bracing qualities?

I like the relative simplicity of the bumper too. Have you considered adding bracing from the forward-most part of your bumper into the frame to keep those wings from kissing (killing) your lower bedsides.

Ahh derp. Fast typing. Remote res I meant.

Shocks clear well! Super close but they clear. I will have to get bumpstops in to limit the up travel a little but over all it's good to go.

As for the bumper, the wings will get one more brace but not until I stregthen the frame mount... I'm going to box it and then run another tube on each side. :cool:

Pike2350

Looks good. Any concern with the lower myself being in front and below the axle tube? Most i see put them behind..... but most still try not to have them below if custom and not oem

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Looks good. Any concern with the lower myself being in front and below the axle tube? Most i see put them behind..... but most still try not to have them below if custom and not oem

I'm not concern, it's not much below and it's far enough outward that the tires will provide a lot of protection. I'll be adding some material to the mounts to protect the lower end of the shock just in case, but I don't see it being a problem. :beer:

Coco

I'm not concern, it's not much below and it's far enough outward that the tires will provide a lot of protection. I'll be adding some material to the mounts to protect the lower end of the shock just in case, but I don't see it being a problem. :beer:

My old SAS'd 4runner was the same way, I never hit them on 37s.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
New toy: :D

6b8D.jpg

This thing welds so smooth, feels like cheating.
I'm going to clean up my old Hobart and get it listed for sale. If anybody is interested, it's still a great unit!

Anyhow, finally pulled the bumper this weekend and finished welding it.

6uMC.jpg

Here you can see the extra bracing I added for the quarter panel bars.

6mGg.jpg

Bumper painted and installed. I also got the shocks pressured up and installed as well. Tomorrow I'm hoping to pull the front shocks, pressure them up and adjust the steering a little bit and hopefully take it for a spin. Crossing my fingers

6dIu.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Looks good! But you never picked up the trailer hitch I have for you...and now it's painted. :(

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Those Esab EMP welders are flippin sweet!

I'm in love with this machine. No buyers remorse at all. I love that I can drag it outside and stick weld up whatever I need too fix as well. If anybody is interested in ESAB, watch some of the weld.com videos on youtube.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been thinking of upgrading to an ESAB that is capable of TIG for awhile, my old Lincoln SP175 is great, but 20+ yrs old at this point. Hearing that the ESAB is amazing isn't helping me any! :rofl:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've been thinking of upgrading to an ESAB that is capable of TIG for awhile, my old Lincoln SP175 is great, but 20+ yrs old at this point. Hearing that the ESAB is amazing isn't helping me any! :rofl:

This one does TIG but only DC. My understanding is that you want AC for aluminum. I’m excited to try out the tig capabilities on this and learn. There’s a new version that does AC or DC out too, I think it’s the 205ic.