Toyota Project: TacoCart

Coco

I also prefer Marlin, but wasn't Trail Gear was the manufacture for a lot of the Marlin dual case stuff at some point? Or at least machined by the same place?
Matt, the owner of TG, used to work for Marlin back in the day. Marlin was wanting to sell the company, and Matt was the buyer. Last second Marlin backed out, and pissed Matt off. Matt started his own company, and the rest is history. At least that is what I heard.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
My old buggy had a dual case adaptor from trail gear and the 4.7 gears set and the twin stick. I only assembled it one time ever and never had a problem with any of it after 10 years. As far as i know it still hasnt been touched by the current owner.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Matt, the owner of TG, used to work for Marlin back in the day. Marlin was wanting to sell the company, and Matt was the buyer. Last second Marlin backed out, and pissed Matt off. Matt started his own company, and the rest is history. At least that is what I heard.
My old buggy had a dual case adaptor from trail gear and the 4.7 gears set and the twin stick. I only assembled it one time ever and never had a problem with any of it after 10 years. As far as i know it still hasnt been touched by the current owner.

Good to know, thanks guys. Likely putting in the order today as I got the case all apart and inspected.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Alright, the adapter showed up and then I realized that I need to replace the 21 spline input with a 23 spline input so I said "screw it" and ordered the 4.7:1 gear set with the 23 spline input. This should be fun! That's some stupid gearing, I'm excited.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Taco Tcase Tuesday (except not Tuesday)

As mentioned above, I picked up the case on NYE.

E0wM.jpg

EnQK.jpg

Tear down and part collecting
EVbZ.jpg

ECaH.jpg

Since it had sat out side for however long it was pretty gnar. Nothing some kerosene and scrubbing can't take care of though.
EXBz.jpg

Eo78.jpg

Might as well paint it since it's all clean now. This was only color I had besides hammered black.
E5qr.jpg

EQ4S.jpg

More to come when the gearset shows up :cool:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I woke up this morning with the fear that I might have missed something during the install yesterday... so when I was done working I went back out to see if I could turn the tcase by hand. Nope... I thought that was pretty odd. In low gear I should be able to turn that input shaft no problem. Then I noticed inside the shifter hole that the gear was really close to the shift fork base.

I pulled it all back apart and sure enough, I missed the step where I was supposed to grind down the fork. I'm really glad I caught that, that would have sucked.

Nope
EK7c.jpg

Yep
EWyf.jpg

Those of you that mentioned eariler about the weird hold in the adapter plate. Is that it? The larger hole on the lower right side? It has no threads and I can't fathom what would cover it when it's mounted. That seems pretty.... stupid? The hole is even there in their instructions photos with no mention of doing anything with it.
Epak.jpg

Anyhow, ready to go. Maybe I'll tear into the taco this weekend.
E7AA.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've helped installed a rad design aw4 shift controller on a friend's XJ a LOoONG time ago. I can't say anything about the triple shift setup but I didn't mind having my rear case shift further back in our stock mod 85 4runner. It was easy to leave the front case in low and just shift the rear case as needed and it was easier to reach in the harness although we didn't have much if any interior. Perhaps the triple shift will let you keep a center console.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
You know.....I think you would have been fine letting that gear wear it’s own grove in the fork. It would have created a tighter tolerance than you achieved. 50 miles at 70 mph and an oil change and you are good to go.

All kidding aside, I have done that before on a motor rebuild on one of our race motors. Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night 2nd guessing yourself. Good catch.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Wait so the stuff we stress about at night can sometimes be helpful? Haha nice catch.

I don’t have any experience with Toyota shifters but I’ll tell you that Rory is a stand-up, super nice guy. I’ve hung out with him quite a bit over the last couple years at WERock events. I’ve also never heard a single complaint about any of his products which is saying something for sure.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
yes the hole on the lower right side, I would weld that one shut. I think it was leftover from the early truck doublers that shared oil between transfer cases/transmission.
That's what I figured... pretty odd. I think I might just find a rubber plug that will fit it and seal that sucker in. I'm not setup to weld aluminum.

Wait so the stuff we stress about at night can sometimes be helpful? Haha nice catch.

I don’t have any experience with Toyota shifters but I’ll tell you that Rory is a stand-up, super nice guy. I’ve hung out with him quite a bit over the last couple years at WERock events. I’ve also never heard a single complaint about any of his products which is saying something for sure.
Right?

Thanks for the context on Rory and his shifters. Looking at it closer, I think I might just order the base and make my own shifters because I'm automatic and can't afford to take up that much space. I thought about making my own base but that would just take more time than it's worth and his machined al base looks really nice and simple to use.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I ordered this unit from Radesigns today. I think what I will do is make my own shifter handles and use shifter cables that will route back and control the levers on this. Should allow me to package it better and keep things close to stock in the center console and clean.

1610575148952.png