Toyota Project: TacoCart

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I dig fixes like this! How did you seal up the bottom of the shroud where you trimmed it?

From nearly every thread I've found on that mod, nobody blocked off the cut bottom part of the shroud and had issues. That said, I think I will cut some polycarbonate to a nice fit and zip tie it to the bottom just to help anyways.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Steering time!

A tie-rod is born
IMG_1898.jpg

I think I may end up doing a double sheer on these.
IMG_1899.jpg

And here's the beginning to a custom steering arm. The top plate will be 1/2 inch and the lower double sheer plate will be 1/4"
IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

just enough clearance without notching the frame for now.
IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

single pass on top
IMG_1927.jpg

triple pass on the bottom. (camera distortion makes the hole look oblong)
IMG_1925.jpg

This shows the angle that it ended up with.
IMG_1926.jpg

next will be the double sheer part of the pitman.

Run it?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
More pitman work...

I've been a bit slow on progress this week as I've been nursing my lower back (thanks house plumbing issues!) but now I'm starting to feel pretty good. Couple hours tonight got me a oil change on my daily truck and a ready to weld pitman arm.

IMG_1962.jpg

Cardboard templates always save my arse
IMG_1966.jpg

This should do!
IMG_1967.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
One thing I did notice tonight checking clearances on the heim for the pitman... my tie-rod is right in line with the rod end of the pitman and might not give me the up-travel that I want. I may have to move the tie-rod down on bottom instead of on top. Kind of a bummer. It's either that or shorten the pitman a couple inches.... but I don't think that's a very good idea as I will lose the steering distance on a shorter radius.

Anybody have this issue?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
One thing I did notice tonight checking clearances on the heim for the pitman... my tie-rod is right in line with the rod end of the pitman and might not give me the up-travel that I want. I may have to move the tie-rod down on bottom instead of on top. Kind of a bummer. It's either that or shorten the pitman a couple inches.... but I don't think that's a very good idea as I will lose the steering distance on a shorter radius.

Anybody have this issue?

Move the steering box further forward, is the only other solution I can think of. Or notch the frame to raise the pitman higher. Both of those are hard though. :(

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Move the steering box further forward, is the only other solution I can think of. Or notch the frame to raise the pitman higher. Both of those are hard though. :(

Box is maxed out forward. I’ll see about getting it assembled today and do some measurements

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Can you post a pic of the issue? There must be some better options. I like your work so far!

Thank you!

Here you can see I'll have about 4" of up travel max right there. Depending on how the bolt contacts when the axle moves up. I'll do some articulating and see for sure. Worse case I could make a new pitman and notch the frame, or just move the tie-rod below the knuckle arms.

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

Here's the pitman all welded up.
IMG_1977.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Bummer, that is tight. What is preventing the steering box from being mounted further forward?

Only the fact that I burned the sleeves in really good already, and I'm going to have just the right amount of room for the pan hard which would be sacrificed if I did move the box back. Deeeecisions....

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
What if you rotate the steering box downward? Leave the front mounting bolt as is and rotate it down? That would swing the pitman forward a little and only require you to redo two sleeves.

I guess you would have to redo your new pitman arm too... But hey, you were only practicing anyway. :hickey:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
What if you rotate the steering box downward? Leave the front mounting bolt as is and rotate it down? That would swing the pitman forward a little and only require you to redo two sleeves.

I guess you would have to redo your new pitman arm too... But hey, you were only practicing anyway. :hickey:

...or that exact same idea, pivoting on the top bolt instead of the front. If you can move it far enough, you might even be able to leave the existing sleeves in place, and add new ones.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
DD3151DA-97F9-4DA8-B920-D771F1E4B96F.jpegKeeping the top bolt where it's at would probably affect the steering shaft the least if you rotate the box. Steering box body interference would likely be less of a problem too. Yup. Do what Carl said.