Toyota Project: TacoCart

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thanks for the comments! I'm really enjoying this build and I'm trying my best to do everything right with no short-cuts that will cause problems down the road.

It's a slower going build and I know I'm getting pretty detailed with the updates, but that's how I love build threads. I've learned most of everything I know from other threads on various forums, especially this forum. :cool:

Just a few small updates to add:

Beefed up the frame-side trackbar mount:
IMG_2766.jpg

As well as the axle side:
IMG_2757.jpg

And welded in the double sheers on the knuckles:
IMG_2699.jpg

I also got the power steering lines converted and hooked up.

Fox 2.0 Remote Res Coilovers are on the way! Once I get those I can finish up the fab work on the front suspension and then move on to setting up the gears in the front axle.

In the meantime, I might try to take a wack at the front bumper this week. :cool:

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Slow as she goes.

Past couple days I decided to take a break from the suspension/axle work and tie the front of the frame together and start to build a winch mount which will is also the base for the bumper I'm going to build. :cool:

I tied the frame in with some .120 rectangle and fish plated it pretty good
IMG_2925.jpg

bend up a piece for the lower bumper/winch mount and used some scrap 90 deg bent 0.25" for the mount plate(s).
IMG_2953.jpg

@Agility Customs will recognize this winch. It's a short drum comp winch I bought quite a while ago from him for this project. I figured the narrowness would tuck in nice and if I need more length I can just carry some winch line extension.

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

As for the axle, I think I'm ready to clean it up good and paint it. Then I'll setup the gears and ARB and start putting it all back together. Not sure how far I'll get over the Christmas coming up though.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
this thing is coming together pretty quick, looks great too! always had a soft spot for this generation taco.

Thanks! I feel like it's going too slow! I've always wanted to own/build one of these so I'm having a lot of fun with this project. :cool:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Holiday hiatus is over. Felt good to hang out in the shop again...

I'd been dreading it, so I figured I'd better get it done with... the upper part of the front bumper. More than two bends on a stick of tube rarely go well for me... I must have had some good beer while working this evening because for some reason it worked out!

5 bends to match the taco front curve
IMG_3041.jpg

It will fit closer to the body, probably 1/4" gap, but right now it's sitting on top of the winch so I can take some photos and mark where to cut the sides. :cool:
IMG_3044.jpg

Same with this view, tucked in a little closer... I'm happy with the lines!
IMG_3042.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The many uses of masking tape...
IMG_3050.jpg

I felt good about this so I made some spreaders and burned them in.
IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3055.jpg

Then I bend up some 1.25" x .120 for the lower part.
IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

It looks bulky in the photos, but standing back and looking at it, it's pretty nice and tucked.
IMG_3082.jpg

Now that's done, I can knock out most of the frame/bumper painting in one session, and I'll have more accurate weight measurements for coils. :cool: