✅ Shifter boot to keep nasties out of the inside
✅ Lengthened and reconnected the speedo and shift sensors
⬜ Order Front Driveline

mPSq.jpg

maNK.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
While waiting for the front driveline I decided to tear the front end apart and replace the severly leaking axle seals. Turns out I pushed some grime onto the seals and ruined them last time I had it out. But now I have to wait for new seals to show up because the ones I ordered are apparently for a TJ D44. Way too small! Such is life :)

IMG_4302.jpeg

For anybody doing seals for a 1980 and up Dana 44 inner axle seals (not sure if they are mostly the same?) Here are the measurements I took off:

IMG_4303.jpeg
IMG_4306.jpeg

Seals with measurements of 2.63 OD and 1.32 ID seem to be right. I'll update when they show up.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Forgot to update but the Taco has been mobile since Monday. :cool: The front driveline showed up before we took off for the weekend to spend my daughters birthday in Lava Hot Springs. When we got back I bolted it up, added lost fluid to the transmission and filled up the tcases and pulled it out for a spin. I can't believe how low it is in the 4.7 x 2.28 engaged... this is gonna be FUN.

Thank you to everybody who gave input and direction on the transfer case questions! You sent me down good paths to find the right info and I greatly appreciate it.

mbcD.jpg

mdlu.jpg

The front axle is also back together and so far no more leaking. That makes me pretty dang happy too. :beer:

Next up will likely be the front lower control arms. I either need to bend them in a bit for better steering clearance or make new ones. I think I'll try bending them first.

theferg

DD for Life
Nice job on the crawler and those triple sticks. I realize to some folks, having all three sticks up there seems crowded, but using one of the cupholders for the rear case stick never made any sense to me. Those damn cupholders in the first gens are near priceless spots to put drinks and phones etc. I could never give up a cup holder when there are triple-shift kits available (albeit, a bit pricey I guess). Yours looks awesome, IMO.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Nice job on the crawler and those triple sticks. I realize to some folks, having all three sticks up there seems crowded, but using one of the cupholders for the rear case stick never made any sense to me. Those damn cupholders in the first gens are near priceless spots to put drinks and phones etc. I could never give up a cup holder when there are triple-shift kits available (albeit, a bit pricey I guess). Yours looks awesome, IMO.
Thanks man!
I was worried that the sticks would be too crowded but after driving and shifting it a bit it's not bad at all. I may put smaller aluminum knobs on there at some point just to make it less crowded and look better but overall it works great so far. Also, I agree... I just couldn't bring myself to kill a cup holder, X-D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Quick update:
After my son turned 16 last year, he needed a way to get around to things he wanted / needed to do, so I reluctantly let him drive the tacoma for most of the summer, fall and winter. In that time, wear and tear took a toll on her... front tires started to cup from bad ball joints, the rear driveline double cardon went bad, and holy crap the salt went to work on everything including the coilover and shock bodies. Even the steering heim joints were seized!

I had to tear it all down, clean it up, re-paint and put it all back together.

Now he has his own cheap XJ to abuse and I was able to get the tacoma back in good condition.

I really didn't take many photos of the wear / damage because it bummed me out... but now after many casual hours of putting it back together we are good to go! Mountain exploration is back on the calendar.

So clean:
IMG_3851.jpeg

New steering heims, cleaned up and regreased hubs, new balljoints...
IMG_3855.jpeg

New CV socket flange from Tom Woods - I'm pretty sure I forgot to grease the last one when I installed the new driveline and it went bad over the last winter
IMG_3944.jpeg

Ready to go!

IMG_4103.jpeg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Well, the rear tires are cupped enough that it's driving me nuts to drive it down the road. The vibration is bad.

I have two options -
  • Buy 1 35" tire and rotate the spare in. Toss the worst tire and keep the other as the spare
or
  • Buy a set of 37" tires, which was the long term goal when these wore out anyways

Decisions...

I also need to tune the rear shocks. They are way off and just help to make the ride not so great.