Project TJ started.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Picked up a 01 TJ chassis a few weeks ago.
It had been mostly parted out and was basically a tub, frame and engine.
Picked up the missing body parts,
Poison Spider fenders, sliders and corners, transmission, skid plate etc and decided on 60's.
Already had a Super Duty60 with 5:38's and A ARB installed so sure, I'll use that. Also have a rear 60 same gears and a Detroit.

Started cutting off all the massive mounts today and was able to get pretty far.
Going to install a Artec truss and go 3 link on the front and double triangulated rear with a comp cut.
Going with 40's this time.
Still don't know what springs and shocks to use though. Want it to be as low as I can get for ride height.

Anyway, seems like I get more done when I start a thread as people start asking me about it.
Hopefully I can keep some momentum and get it rolling in the next couple months

IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160712/982763c0d622d11ece05cec5b624158d.jpg[/IMG]
7211e939cf86854bf6f1d7b8967935ae.jpg

d3e60b99216948bec6b83ba6266aaf9d.jpg
9bb5e9a795266eea4ba23611dc3a4d56.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I love a low TJ project!

I don't know if they still make them, but I really liked the Campbell TJ hood/fenders for a low-slung TJ and wish I had used it for my TJ... easy to fit big tires up front.

How much wheelbase are you shooting for? I was at 104" and liked it, but wish I would have pushed the front axle further forward.

RockChucker

I love a low TJ project!

I don't know if they still make them, but I really liked the Campbell TJ hood/fenders for a low-slung TJ and wish I had used it for my TJ... easy to fit big tires up front.

How much wheelbase are you shooting for? I was at 104" and liked it, but wish I would have pushed the front axle further forward.

This. I have Poison Spyder hi fenders and my 37s rub them at full stuff...and that is with my front end moved forward 7". I'll probably end up with. Campbell or Durham hood to fit 40s someday.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
I love a low TJ project!

Was hoping for 107". Going to back half the frame as well to make that easier.
Fuel cell showed up today as did the mounts so I'll drop those off to get coated today.

Haven't made much more progress sense the first post. Doing some training for the next couple days so it's likely to be next week before I get back under it.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
This. I have Poison Spyder hi fenders and my 37s rub them at full stuff...and that is with my front end moved forward 7". I'll probably end up with. Campbell or Durham hood to fit 40s someday.

And I didn't even buy the hi fenders. Crap! Had I not had them coated already I would probably switch. I had the Campbell fenders in my cart at one point but I think they told me they don't make a comp cut rear and I wanted all 3 pieces (fenders, sliders and corners) to be matched.

Hopefully I can get some bumps to prevent too much rubbage on the fronts.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
BTF cover fitted to keep crap out of the diff. That's actually the rear cover so I can tie in the truss to the cover.

Crap. I should have brought that cover with me to drop off at the coaters.

076b398cb81d245205d82f01f955ba38.jpg

Greg

Admin
Was hoping for 107". Going to back half the frame as well to make that easier.
Fuel cell showed up today as did the mounts so I'll drop those off to get coated today.

Haven't made much more progress sense the first post. Doing some training for the next couple days so it's likely to be next week before I get back under it.

:cool:

I wish I would have back-halved my frame when I did mine!

Have you looked at Rockchucker's build? It'll give you some bad ideas.... ;)

RockChucker

:cool:

I wish I would have back-halved my frame when I did mine!

Have you looked at Rockchucker's build? It'll give you some bad ideas.... ;)

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. No doubt. Low and long is a great recipe. Mine is about 108" not comp cut, front halfed and back halfed with a steering box. Somewhere in the neighborhood of a 18-19" frame height.

Greg

Admin
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. No doubt. Low and long is a great recipe. Mine is about 108" not comp cut, front halfed and back halfed with a steering box. Somewhere in the neighborhood of a 18-19" frame height.

It looks sooooo good!

I love the idea of a steering box, too. My single-ended ag. ram was sketchy at speed on the road... over 45 MPH was crazy. Keeping a steering box and running hydro assist is something I wished I had done on mine, so I could run around Moab between trails easier.

Bart

I love the idea of a steering box, too. My single-ended ag. ram was sketchy at speed on the road... over 45 MPH was crazy. Keeping a steering box and running hydro assist is something I wished I had done on mine, so I could run around Moab between trails easier.

That's why I kept mine and the fact that I wanted it to be as street legal as possible.
Love the progress so far.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
I'm just quoting Rockchucker so I have a baseline on springs for my ride. Nothing to see currently.
"14"/16" 150/175 on all 4 corners. About 2 1/2" preload in the front and 2" in the rear. "

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Made a little progress the last few days. Finally had the time to get the front 60 cleaned up and the truss mocked up.
The cage is almost done also.

621495f344d66f45f6fb22e8bccd436e.jpg
d8258bcc20f38417902166be230efc35.jpg

29a2a95102dbebde6955190989332d31.jpg

b90551b002053da3fd5197e392c2267a.jpg