Project Toyota Tacoma Doublecab

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Thought I would share my current project. I just finished the rear bumper this weekend.

Done
Trd Supercharger
Ipt Valve body upgrade with external cooler and Amsoil fluid
Magnaflow muffler, rear oxygen simulator from URD
Recaro seats
Rear tube bumper

Future plans
URD fuel kit
Tube sliders
Front bumper
Sas with-
Dana 60 from 79 Ford, it has-
5.38 gears
lockright locker
89 ford hubs for 9/16” lug nuts
All new seals, bearings, ujoints
Steering arm and ARP studs from Mad 4wd
3/8” diff cover

Gm 14 bolt
5.38 gears
Lockright locker
All new seals,bearings…
Trail Gear 5” Springs

Plan on running hummer wheels with 39” iroks

Just need time and a patient wife so I can finish.

Attachments

• may 08 0561.JPG
    may 08 0561.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 117
  • may 08 0571.JPG
    may 08 0571.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 119

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Nice job getting the VB upgraded, that's one worry crossed off the list! How does it feel? Since I'm NA, I simply tightned my TV cable to firm up the shift, it feels awesome especially under load.

I'm interested to hear some feedback on the URD kit.

Such a pretty truck...are you sure you don't wanna sling the 1 Tons under my '84 and I'll take the Taco?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Nice job getting the VB upgraded, that's one worry crossed off the list! How does it feel? Since I'm NA, I simply tightned my TV cable to firm up the shift, it feels awesome especially under load.

I'm interested to hear some feedback on the URD kit.

Such a pretty truck...are you sure you don't wanna sling the 1 Tons under my '84 and I'll take the Taco?

I was really concerned when I got the truck because the transmission shift was so mushy that it felt like if I gave it full throttle that something bad was going to happen. Probably wouldn't have but its how it felt. Now the shifts are tight and very strong but not uncomfortable. Feels like a stronger truck.

I've debated on throwing the axles under it since it is such a nice truck. Only 30k miles and well taken care of out of cali. But its the whole reason I got it and I have wanted one tons under a tacoma since they came out in 95. So what the hell, its getting chopped.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Coming along :cool:

I'd love to hear more about the VB upgrade and some specs/pics of your cooler install. Did you install the VB yourself?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Coming along :cool:

I'd love to hear more about the VB upgrade and some specs/pics of your cooler install. Did you install the VB yourself?

I took it out and installed the VB myself and shipped it out to IPT. Definately recommend them. Great service and a good job. I meant to take pics of the process but just didn't happen. It was fairly simple, just had to remember where all the bolts went. I shopped around for a cooler and had used some quite a few brands in the trucks I have had over the years. I went for the second to largest one that napa carries. I mounted it in front of the radiator between it and the condensor. Only half of it is exposed to unrestricted air flow, it was the only way i could get it to fit.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I took it out and installed the VB myself and shipped it out to IPT. Definately recommend them. Great service and a good job. I meant to take pics of the process but just didn't happen. It was fairly simple, just had to remember where all the bolts went. I shopped around for a cooler and had used some quite a few brands in the trucks I have had over the years. I went for the second to largest one that napa carries. I mounted it in front of the radiator between it and the condensor. Only half of it is exposed to unrestricted air flow, it was the only way i could get it to fit.

Cool, if you get a minute to snag a pic of the cooler mounted I would appreciate it :D

I'll have to give IPT a jingle :cool:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Started to get some stuff done today. I started making the rear shackle hangers then got the router out to do some trimming on the H2 rims so that they will fit on the D60. I hate routers, especially when the guide bearing falls off which doesn't make a clean nice cut. At least I didn't end up in the emergency room with the end of my finger missing this time. I also decided to paint the rims. The first pic shows the lip that needed trimmed.

Attachments

• yep 005.jpg
    yep 005.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 55
  • yep 006.jpg
    yep 006.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 53
  • yep 011.jpg
    yep 011.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 75

tola1987

SWEET it will look good... Im getting ready to sas my taco... just need t case and steering... run 16" co for the front duals and 40 or 42s

lewis

Fight Till You Die
yupi015.jpg

Doesn't quite fit yet. Decided to chicken out a little and went with the outdated discountinued bfg km in a 37.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
are you trying to keep it streetable?
it wont take long before its got 40's under it.
I can already picture it.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
are you trying to keep it streetable?
it wont take long before its got 40's under it.
I can already picture it.

Ya, thats the whole reason I went with 37's. It is geared for 39's but I figured I am already pushing the limit running 37's. Depending on how tall it turns out, I have a few ideas that will hopefully remedy the situation and keep the law off my back.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
yeah thats a tough line to ballance, I fought that battle for years w/mine.
the 37's will work great & you can still street it with out getting harrassed

lewis

Fight Till You Die
All my updates got deleted. So here is where I'm at. Should have the axle under it today.
So it begins. Started friday at 4 pm and took a 3 hour break at 4am and then worked until 1 am the sunday morning when I couldn't lift my arms anymore.
ifs chopped off
build1025.jpg

Oil pan installed. I haven't been so pissed off in a long time. Both my kids were crying in the house cause I was cussing so loud in the garage and were scared. If I did it over I would have dry set the pan first(like you probably always should) so I could see that the pan doesn't go straight in. The front goes up and in and then slides forward so the back can clear the bell housing. I got that fipg all over and had to wipe it off and do it over, I sure hope it doesn't leak.
build1004.jpg

Right now I am currently welding up the frame plates. This is the drivers side. The Ballastic fab plates don't go all the way back so I cut out a plate to finish it off.
build1008.jpg

Steering box mount is done. I sleeved the holes with some 3/4" O.D. 1/2" I.D. tube and welded it all and ground the surface flat with a big grinding wheel.
build1007.jpg

Passenger side
build1002.jpg

Finally dug out the big guy. This thing can't wait to get under the truck. Have to finish welding the plates and then put on the springs and shackle mounts.
build1011.jpg