Proposed ham radio get-together to play with radios

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Rather than continually letting it get buried in that other thread, I felt it might be better to start a different one. A few of you guys with ham licenses have expressed a desire to get together for a hands-on radio activity. I am certainly not all that when it comes to ham radio, but I am always eager to share what I have learned so far in the hope that it might help others who are newer to the hobby.

I will bring three different radios:
- my handheld Baofeng UV-5R (ie, the cheap Chinese radios everybody wants to run out and buy just because they have a low price tag)
- my handheld Yaesu FT-60R (the tough-as-nails classic handheld which was the ideal that the Chinese tried to copy)
- my mobile Yaesu FT-7900R (so you can see what proper mobile operation ought to be)

The Baofeng radios are a complete pain in the ass to operate--I know this personally, as I made the common mistake of getting one for my first radio. Nevertheless, I have found some resources which will help anyone who has one but is struggling to figure out how to use the darn thing. If you don't have one, I will be happy to let you try mine so you can form an opinion of your own. You can compare it to my much-easier-to-use FT-60R and decide if you think the Yaesu is worth its $150 price tag compared to the ~$30 Baofeng. We can also sit in my car to see how the mobile radio is even easier to use than the FT-60R, plus we can discuss the numerous drawbacks to trying to use a handheld as a mobile radio. I can also share my tips and tricks learned as I have mounted a few different mobile radios into a few different vehicles--hopefully I can save you some of the headaches and mistakes I made along the way.

Everyone is invited to attend--hams who already have a radio; hams who haven't yet bought a radio; even people that don't yet have a ham license but think they might want one.

It looks like I will have my evening free tomorrow, Thursday April 28th. I won't be able to host, but I am happy to drive to wherever. If multiple people want to get together, I'll leave it to you guys to decide as a group where we will meet. If only one of you is interested, well, I guess I'll be coming to your house. (If nobody is available, I'll just have to reply to this thread when I have another free evening in the future.)

Is anybody interested?

Rock Taco

Ive had my HAM license and radio for years but havent really used it. I would be down to get together and learn more.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I'm game if its on a weekend during the day in good weather! lol
I have an old Yaesu ft2200 that has to be about 15 years old... still tuff as nails. I also have a 2 meter swr meter if anyone needs to match their radio to their antenna.

sixstringsteve

Yeah, sounds good. I'll text you my address. I'm free any time after 6. I only have about an hour for this. Is that even worth it for you?

Bart

BTW Dempsey, thanks for making me feel so good about my Baofeng UV-5R+. I actually did do some research but couldn't justify a lot of money for something I used once, maybe twice a year.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
A couple things have changed and I'm a maybe with a +1.

I'll just add that for a trail radio where the group is using simplex I don't think there is a better cheaper alternative than the UV-5R. Its what I've used for 2 years and I've been very pleased with it, for that use. I have not used it on repeaters though so it might not be great if you want to do both sides.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
How many are there so far?

So far the only confirmed attendees are Steve, Eric and myself.

A couple things have changed and I'm a maybe with a +1

... unless Nate and friend also show up. :)

BTW Dempsey, thanks for making me feel so good about my Baofeng UV-5R+. I actually did do some research but couldn't justify a lot of money for something I used once, maybe twice a year.

I know I like to rip on the Baofeng radios. I feel I am justified, since (a) I have one and (b) I've had one break on me. Nevertheless, if that's what it took to get you into the hobby then I am all for it. They can work okay, as hundreds and hundreds of users across the country would attest. Perhaps after you use one enough, you'll want to upgrade to something better. But even if you never need to upgrade because the Baofeng meets your needs perfectly, I will still do all I can to help you get the most enjoyment and satisfaction possible from your radio.

I'll just add that for a trail radio where the group is using simplex I don't think there is a better cheaper alternative than the UV-5R. Its what I've used for 2 years and I've been very pleased with it, for that use. I have not used it on repeaters though so it might not be great if you want to do both sides.

As far as a simple 'walkie talkie' operation is concerned, the UV-5R radio is far better than the common alternatives (FRS, GMRS, etc).

sixstringsteve

Dempsey, I can't thank you enough for your help tonight. I took a ton of notes and learned a lot without being overwhelmed. I just ordered one handheld, and now I'm deciding on which vehicle unit I want. Thanks again.

I got a UV-3R for now, but I plan on getting a Yaesu VX-3R soon. I worry about the 1-2 watt power of the Yaesu, but I do love the tiny size and light weight.

Last edited: