Proud Owner of D44 Front, now need advice on fitting

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Greetings,
I am now the proud owner of a front D44 from a '80 waggy. There are several things I will need to do before I can install it.

Most obvious is the spring pads, shock mounts, track bar mount, etc. I know RE has a TJ kit, does anyone have any experience with this kit (or one similar)? Herzog & your XJ??

This thing has huge hubs that stick out from the spindle. There is no selector lever. Can this be modified to put locking hubs? Or maybe remove the huge hub through replacements of some part(s)?

Since I am planning on a number of big changes when I put in the new axles (D44 rear, bigger lift, bigger tires), I have plenty of time to completely rebuild the axle (new bearings, seals, etc.). Can you buy a rebuild kit for the axle?

I guess that's enough ? for now, thanks for any input.

jd

demon jeep

Banned
If you need to you can come down to my place and look at the jeep in my garage it has a 44 in the front it also has a TJ frame with no real mods. And yes you can get hubs for the front I got them for my J-4000 d44 I did not do it but six state said it was easy. The rear on the garage jeep is a TJ 44 so that will not help. You can order the pads from a jeep dealer or go to M.O.R.E
(mountain offroad enterprise) they are out of rifle CO.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
If you order the RE bracket kit, Charles at Rocky Mountain Axle has a jig to weld them on to your housing so it's a bolt in for you. If you have any qusetions about the hubs, you know how to get ahold of me. RMA's #808-2525.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
BlackSheep - I sent you a PM

The hubs can be changed out. Keep the slugs that are in there for spares in case you ever break a new hub.

The RE bracket kit is a time saver. You could make your own jig from your D30. That would save you a lot of grief from tacking, measuring, tacking, measureing, etc... I sold my D30 before I got my D44 so I had no jig. What a pain... :eek: