PullRite TT hitch - (double tow)

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
8A2662D2-5234-41B1-9748-8EE02D065B13.png

Does anyone have any experience with these? (Or something similar)

We have a bumper pull travel trailer, but are looking for a way to also get a crawler to Moab/Sand Hollow a couple times a year without needing a 2nd tow vehicle, or making multiple trips. Bumper-pull doubles is out of the question, but something like this, which mimics the actions of a 5th wheel, would greatly improve towability over a conventional bumper pull design.

However, would this be legal to pull doubles with?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I scoffed at that initially but that is an interesting concept the more I look at it.

The below in it's various forms is likely the "best" way to do what you're doing?
1608576408109.png

You can substitute whatever camper/trailer you like but the concept is pretty much the same. With your long bed truck, I'd consider a slide-in camper as well?

I have also wondered about just having a smaller trailer and putting the Jeep/trailer on the flatbed.
1608576628363.png

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
id love a design like that, but right now, we do alot of non-wheeling camping. So the flatbed would be unused for most of our trips. also, my truck is a shortbed. we already have the bumper pull camper, so working around it may not make the most sense, but its what ive got to work with.

I know there will be trade offs and compromises, but something like that PullRite seems like it could be a viable solution.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Too many moving parts for my taste but I say you try it. If you die we will know it doesn't work 😳

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
That’s not going to change much for you IMO. Sure it will turn and back a little different, but your danger comes from weight differences in trailers. Your jeep and trailer is going to weigh similar to your camper, which is dangerous. If the tow vehicle, in this case your camper, doesn’t have enough weight the second trailer pushes it around. The only reason this might help with the sway is that it moves the pivot point 4ft forward. Extending the trailer tongue would do the same thing on a regular hitch, and then it would work for your next tow vehicle as well.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
That’s not going to change much for you IMO. Sure it will turn and back a little different, but your danger comes from weight differences in trailers. Your jeep and trailer is going to weigh similar to your camper, which is dangerous. If the tow vehicle, in this case your camper, doesn’t have enough weight the second trailer pushes it around. The only reason this might help with the sway is that it moves the pivot point 4ft forward. Extending the trailer tongue would do the same thing on a regular hitch, and then it would work for your next tow vehicle as well.

this is all true.

assuming the TT in spot 2, (behind truck in spot 1), is heavier than the flatbed/jeep in spot 3, then it (in theory) would handle fine. The pivot point of this system puts the weight over the axle, just as a 5th wheel hitch does, so with the pin weight over the axle, and the trailer following the axle, instead of the bumper, it would act the same as a 5th wheel. finding the 'sweet spot' of the jeep on the flatbed to ensure the TT hitch is not pulling up on the rear end of the truck would be critical, but i would think (note the lack of experience), that when properly set up, this system would behave no differently than a 5th wheel with a bumper pull behind it.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
If the travel trailer is light enough, tow it behind the car hauler
i've thought about going this route too; finding a short-deck goosneck for the Jeep, and put a receiver on the back of that for a bumper pull. The TT isnt necessarily "lightweight", and could be comparable in weight to a loaded flatbed with Jeep.

mbryson

Supporting Member
i've thought about going this route too; finding a short-deck goosneck for the Jeep, and put a receiver on the back of that for a bumper pull. The TT isnt necessarily "lightweight", and could be comparable in weight to a loaded flatbed with Jeep.

I can't imagine that wouldn't work out pretty well? 3-4k weight travel trailer being towed by a 4k trailer with a 4-5k Jeep on it. Shouldn't be a bad thing? I'd want brakes on both trailers for sure. The aerodynamics would totally suck (?) with the parachute but you'd have your cake and eat it to

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
I can't imagine that wouldn't work out pretty well? 3-4k weight travel trailer being towed by a 4k trailer with a 4-5k Jeep on it. Shouldn't be a bad thing? I'd want brakes on both trailers for sure. The aerodynamics would totally suck (?) with the parachute but you'd have your cake and eat it to

-TT is around 8k, with water
-dont currently have a flatbed, but my last one (which was insanely overbuilt and long) came in at about 2700 empty; find a lighter trailer and it could easily weight sub 2k
-weight of the Jeep? idk; stock is 3500, so built up itll be a decent bit heavier.

i know its not the best option, but for once or twice a year, I feel like its not impossible.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I just don't think it's worth the risk for a couple times a year. I find it's pretty easy for me to separate camping trips and wheeling trips but for the couple of times I've combined them I drove my trailer to Lil Moab and then went back for my Jeep. Then when it was time to go home my dad offered to come get my Jeep just cause he's nice.
I've done the same for Delta and another time Ryan brought my Jeep since he has the big ol goosey.
For family wheeling trips to Moab or Sand Hollow we just pony up and stay in hotels. It's not like it's that much more expensive than camping if you stay in a campground with hook-ups. Camping is not cheap.

I also know that it being for once or twice a year makes it easy to swing the other way and do it even though you know it's not ideal but dying sucks a lot more than being inconvenienced. At least I think so :thinking:

mbryson

Supporting Member
-TT is around 8k, with water
-dont currently have a flatbed, but my last one (which was insanely overbuilt and long) came in at about 2700 empty; find a lighter trailer and it could easily weight sub 2k
-weight of the Jeep? idk; stock is 3500, so built up itll be a decent bit heavier.

i know its not the best option, but for once or twice a year, I feel like its not impossible.

That's a beeeg girl. You're talking some weight here with a bonus hinge. I'd not be interested in towing that heavy of a travel trailer and a Jeep on trailer. For some reason, I thought you had a cute little single axle camp trailer--3k ish lbs. I have tried to solve your problem for years. The redneck hauler or a Work and Play is truly the best solution (only?) if you're sticking with a pickup truck. The real solution is self propelled trailer (F550 or similar) with a flatbed to haul your Jeep and tow your current travel trailer or step up to a Freightliner/Kenworth/Pete/Volvo and do whatever works for you at that point

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Saw a guy loose his boat he was towing behind his camper a while back, nice layer of fiberglass across all 4 lanes when the boat left the trailer. He was fishtailing pretty hard before the boat decided to leave. If it were me, I'd be looking for something the wife could tow the second trailer with.

Toad

I pull my Jeep behind a 37 foot 5th wheel. It is on a aluminum trailer to keep the weight down. I have not had any issues. Honestly I’m not completely comfortable with the set up. Travel trailer frames are junk at best. I wouldn’t think of doing two bumper pulls.

Bart

Agree 100% with Toad. I pull doubles with a 5th wheel and trailer and it can be a handful at times. I only do it a couple of times a year, but I'm always looking at other options. If I could find a 35' decked gooseneck I'd think about mounting my 5th wheel on it, kind of like the camper picture above, and the Jeep behind it. That's just a lot of trailer to store. I would never tow double bumper pulls in any configuration.
Doubles.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That Pull-Rite system looks problematic to me. Your in a tough situation with kids and dogs. You won't be comfortable cramming them into a truck camper.

My suggestion would be to get a small gooseneck flatbed to pull in front of your TT.

You have to know your weights though, don't guess at them.

Take the time to haul your junk to a CAT scale and weigh each piece of the puzzle separately. CAT has a smartphone app that makes it even easier now.

You definitely need your front trailer to weigh more than the rear trailer. It can actually be shorter than the rear trailer, but it must be heavier. That being said, no matter what you choose, it will be a stressful drive. I've pulled all sorts of truck and trailer combos in my career and it was never as stressful as pulling double RV'S is for me.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I thought I had a thread back there a few years ago....