Question on fuel cell venting

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This tank has a sealed filler cap and the vent has a check ball in it. For the vent hose, many people run it up to the top of the cage, and then back down below the tank.

My question is: Does the vent line need to go that much higher, or will it work the same if I run it up and over this tube and back down below the tank?

C668512D-4061-437C-9BCB-7F0898C990AB.jpeg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It does not need to go to the top of the cage. Just routed in a way that won't let fuel siphon out, no matter what orientation you land in. ;)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
What you have pictured will work. It just needs to go past the side of the tank, higher than the tank and then to the other side and lower. I usually throw a loop into the end but that’s overkill.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I drill and tap my fuel cap for one of these and have never had one leak when im upside down. they are made for dirt bikes but they works great for everything

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I drill and tap my fuel cap for one of these and have never had one leak when im upside down. they are made for dirt bikes but they works great for everything

Are they a check valve of sorts?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I could be wrong but if you run the breather down below the tank you risk creating a siphon if you are leaning to the pass side and don't create an air gap. I've always ran mine up and loop back down just a little bit. I have a rollover valve inline on the breather but I think there's also one on the breather outlet of the tank.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I could be wrong but if you run the breather down below the tank you risk creating a siphon if you are leaning to the pass side and don't create an air gap. I've always ran mine up and loop back down just a little bit. I have a rollover valve inline on the breather but I think there's also one on the breather outlet of the tank.
I think the check valve will keep it from siphoning.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Yeah I've tried really hard at making mine leak and it never has. People think it's bad driving but I'm just testing the fuel system.

Comp rules made me install a ball valve in the line as well but I've never even used it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Yeah I've tried really hard at making mine leak and it never has. People think it's bad driving but I'm just testing the fuel system.

Comp rules made me install a ball valve in the line as well but I've never even used it.
A ball valve in the breather line?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The rulebook in short course was the vent had to be routed like your diagram but in a 3rd dimension as well (X/Y/Z axis) in case of end over end or sideways rollovers. I agree that a ball valve is a good idea.

A word of caution on those dirt bike valves. I have first hand experience here.
The cheap ones can rust and prevent the ball valve from venting. Had a bike that wouldn't run periodically unless I vented the gas cap.
Swapped the valve for a brand name one and had no further problems. (The difference in price is about $3 LoL)