Question

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
So if a family member out of state wanted to give me a firearm, what are the rules? As in, does it need to be re-registered or anything?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
So if a family member out of state wanted to give me a firearm, what are the rules? As in, does it need to be re-registered or anything?

Take it! Write up a bill of sale or something if you want, but I don't think you have to register it or anything unless you want to.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I didn't think so. I would think it wise to see any original paperwork on the firearm? Correct?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I didn't think so. I would think it wise to see any original paperwork on the firearm? Correct?

Not a bad idea... maybe get copies of the papers if they don't give you the originals. Covers your butt if nothin' else.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
So now I got into a debate of sorts over concealed vs open carry..

Concealed permit holders can open carry w/ the firearm loaded... Correct?
Non permit holders cannot open carry a loaded firearm, and it must be 2 action... Correct?
Non permit holders can carry in their vehicle, but with 2 actions once again.. Correct?

Now, what about someone with a criminal history; what stipulations, or rules do they have in place, if any, to purchase and own a firearm(s).. As in, is it required to be registered to them? Are they only allowed to purchase through licensed gun dealers?

The answers to all these questions are for my bro in law... Though I'm curious to learn the answers myself.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So now I got into a debate of sorts over concealed vs open carry..

Concealed permit holders can open carry w/ the firearm loaded... Correct?
Non permit holders cannot open carry a loaded firearm, and it must be 2 action... Correct?
Non permit holders can carry in their vehicle, but with 2 actions once again.. Correct?

For non-permit: 2 actions, as in charge & pull trigger for a semi-auto; 2 trigger pulls with a revolver (2 empty chambers). At least I think that's correct on the revolvers.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
I haven't checked the law lately, but I believe you are correct on all three.

Unless the criminal history is a felony conviction, I believe they are just like everyone else and can buy or be given a gun from anyone. Not 100% sure though.

Edit: I could look it up on the Utah law website, but I'm to lazy.

Just have him (and you) get CCW and there won't be any problems. :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I just read online that Utah law defines a 'loaded' firearm in these ways:

Open carry for non-permit holders:

An autoloading handgun: must not have chambered round, but can otherwise be loaded...

Double action revolver: must not have a round under the hammer, and also the next chamber in order of revolver.

Single action: must not have a round underneath the hammer.

**Info was from 2004.. Not sure of there's been changes

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'm for sure planning on CWP for myself.. I'd like to do a training class on how to hndle removing myself and others from bad situations as well.

Caleb

I just read online that Utah law defines a 'loaded' firearm in these ways:

Open carry for non-permit holders:

An autoloading handgun: must not have chambered round, but can otherwise be loaded...

Double action revolver: must not have a round under the hammer, and also the next chamber in order of revolver.

Single action: must not have a round underneath the hammer.

**Info was from 2004.. Not sure of there's been changes
Just this year the laws have changed regarding open carry and having a loaded gun. I don't know if what you stated are the current laws but if those are really from 2004 and haven't been updated, then the current laws are different.

CJJ92yj

I thought person-to-person sales were OK as long as both parties were in the same state. I thought if one was an out of state, it needed to go through an FFL.