Quick (hopefully) TBI 350 swap in my "Jeep"

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Spent 6-7 hours putting things together. In some cases even more than they have been before. E561C505-CBD6-4A2F-A5FF-EAA9E6D70028.jpeg
There’s a bunch of sheet metal on there now. An upper radiator hose even

0841EB7F-21E9-498D-982A-F5F358EA094D.jpeg

Still need to clean up the headlight harness and horn connector stuff. DC442A3C-384A-4362-BAB7-C595308E9E31.jpeg

81ABD648-D230-40A6-B5E7-6A6E0AA53C91.jpeg
This here is a pipe plug in my water pump. Where I'll put a return line for a heater . Undoing that pipe plug was kind of a bitch. Required the below.

B59B4851-99A7-4721-BD52-413FE9E062C5.jpeg

I never use those adapter things to go from 1/2"-3/8". This was a great way to either bust one or utilize leverage to break that pipe plug loose. 9A2DCD92-B59E-408F-B39C-FDB731EBB447.jpeg

Here we have a nipple. I added some heater hose and clamps and now have the plumbed side of a heater. Need to work out some electrical and ducting

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
CCA703E4-989A-4BD0-AC71-7D3D4D769AED.jpeg

So, we are hoping this Gates19632 will be the hot ticket for getting the limp hose off the manifold and chafing against that sharp bracket?EA0F3F2B-52E0-4300-845B-EE4998211DAA.jpeg

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
More “exciting” stuff. That heater hose is almost ideal. I cut about 3” off the end at the heater box. Hopefully the molded hose holds up over time?

Exciting pictures for posterity (really me when I need to replace this)705E97EA-88AB-4013-AC5F-C09DE1745C9C.jpeg
I’ve spent time on making the Taurus fan wiring a little less butch. It’s controlled manually. I hope to have it all automagically controlled soon. This should work for now. Been that way for 13 years

231F32C4-D1B9-4429-84B7-BFE1C8464BD3.jpeg

Gratuitous hose picture

Now the fun part. The beast won’t start. :(. Haven’t changed anything. Have spark and fuel. Engines seem that simple to me. I did change the distributor but haven’t moved it since I got it “running”. Had no coolant so I only let it run for 3-5 seconds. Timing was off a bit but I thought a quick timing set and I’d be good to go.

I need to take the distributor out as the gasket crumbled when I installed it last. I’ll have to set to TDC and point rotor at cylinder 1? See what happens. I was hoping to circulate some coolant through the beast and see if I had any leaks. Took the better part of 4 gallons to fill the radiator and I assume a fair amount of the engine. We’ll see how this goes

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Just because you mentioned playing with the distributor. Check your distributor cap for hairline cracks. Could be sending spark to two cylinders at the same time.

Pile of parts

When you get this running...
I did the automagic taurus fan thing last summer. I had been running it manually for years too. I used the BMW/Volvo junkyard parts. Seems to work well. Plenty of info on line but I'd be happy to help if you have questions.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Got it running. Seems like I only have it going on 6 cylinder. Swapped a plug and pinched the plug wire down to the plug terminal on #2 and it’s running on 7 now. Trying to patch all the loose fittings and such. Weeping a little gas from the throttle body.

I plan to swap out my new plug wires for my old ones. See if that’s the bulk of the issue or if it makes no difference.
TBI is spraying a LOT of fuel. Not sure if it’s due to me rebuild or if that’s just how things are.

At worst I can move this out of the garage and such. It hasn’t moved since Oct or whenever

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Swapped plug wires and that seemed to help for a minute? Started loading up with fuel and such. I’m not convinced my TBI rebuild was a good idea? Anyone have a 350 TBI throttle body kicking around that needs a new home?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Piece of shit lives! Had a neighbor with a lonely van TBI 350 throttle body (thanks for the offer Bart!). TOTALLY different lower part of the throttle body on the van unit. Just swapped the upper part onto the pickup lower out of my Jeep.

Runs fairly well? We’ll see if it starts tomorrow. Need to get the flex plate inspection cover on and tie up a few more loose ends. PCV crap and such.

Last edited: