Quick (hopefully) TBI 350 swap in my "Jeep"

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So I picked up my replacement TBI 350 yesterday. Guy I bought it from seemed a nice enough rural guy and gave me a sheet with compression test numbers (that I lost). All cylinders between 145-150 psi. Engine is a '93 TBI replacing an '89 TBI. We'll see what differences there are in 4 years (I'm sure there's a few). Hopefully this is a quick swap that works for a while to keep the Jeep operable. If the engine is in great shape, I'll run it for a while. If it's not much better than what I have, I'll run it for a while and do a nice rebuild on my current engine.

Objectives:

1) swap engines

2) fix radiator petcock while I don't have any coolant in the system

3) drive this pig

4) bonus points if I can get the cruise control working

mbryson

Supporting Member
Here it is out of the pickup and hanging out in the garage. Just close enough to not trip on it but where I’ll see it a lot and it’ll bug me to get it taken care of

22192104-72DD-4C6C-B029-535D9A2B90DB.jpeg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wohooo! Hope it's a quick and painless swap over!

I know it's more work and money than you want to get into, but I'd seriously consider swapping Vortec heads on while it's easy to get to! Looks like it would cost around $500 IMO the gains would be worth it!

This intake should work- http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...e77ZW9cEJwklPgKrc16Qm7cViLrWeSYUaAlTxEALw_wcB

You'd need an adapter plate for the TBI and a set of rebuilt heads and you're good to go! I've seen rebuilt Vortec heads for around $300/pr.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Wohooo! Hope it's a quick and painless swap over!

I know it's more work and money than you want to get into, but I'd seriously consider swapping Vortec heads on while it's easy to get to! Looks like it would cost around $500 IMO the gains would be worth it!

This intake should work- http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...e77ZW9cEJwklPgKrc16Qm7cViLrWeSYUaAlTxEALw_wcB

You'd need an adapter plate for the TBI and a set of rebuilt heads and you're good to go! I've seen rebuilt Vortec heads for around $300/pr.

If this one works out for a while, that's exactly what I plan to do. Spend a little and make it "right". There's a set of Summit loaded heads for $999. Just do the short block up nice, add those heads and get the right intake and be done for a LONG time with the motor

mbryson

Supporting Member
Hope to get the fenders, hood and whatever else pulled off the Jeep tonight (planned on doing that last night but ended up running to Spanish Fark to grab an 8.8 and HP D30 for a TJ for ebryson last night). Looking fwd to getting this project going and buttoned up ASAP.

Get the radiator out and get it down to get evaluated for Wednesday. I thought someone posted up where to get the radiator analyzed/evaluated?

Edit:

It was posted :D

Intermountain Radiator on State and about 1600 S. They have done great work for me many times.

in my other thread https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.p...p=1088323&highlight=radiator+shop#post1088323

801-485-5561
Called and asked for a repair to a Mepco brass swap radiator. Has a leaking petcock. Was quoted approx $75 for repair and evaluation with a 1 day turn around. Sounds like a winner to me. Thanks USTUCK for the recommendation

Last edited:

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I've used J-Mac radiator on 35th and state steeet and they were great as well. Think it was $85 to fix the leak, flush, clean, and paint.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Let me know Marc and I would be glad to come help so I can get some experience in a v8 swap into a cj that might be coming up...

Bart

Looks like great progress. Good luck with the swap. Greg, it is my understanding that the computer needs to be reprogrammed after the Vortec head swap. Is that correct? Watching this closely as I would like to do this during the winter.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Need a engine hoist?

Have one. Need to remove the transmission inspection cover, torque converter bolts, bellhousing bolts, starter and motor mount bolts and I think it's ready to be hoisted. I'll swap a few things from the '89 engine to the '93 engine (oil cooler looks like the only difference so far but I haven't looked super close) and throw the '93 engine in there and bolt it up.

A 30 year old wiring harness' clips are pretty fragile. I broke at least two clips pulling things off despite being super careful.

Pile of parts

Looks like great progress. Good luck with the swap. Greg, it is my understanding that the computer needs to be reprogrammed after the Vortec head swap. Is that correct? Watching this closely as I would like to do this during the winter.

It is my understanding that the TBI computer is not capable of much more than stock. Very mild cam, etc. I run a TBI as well and have read a few threads on building them. Not sure it's worth the effort/cost when you could just pick up a donor vortec ('96-'00) that would bolt in just the same for less than the cost of heads, intake manifold, computer programming. Still not LS style power but same block/etc. as the TBI with significantly more power.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
If you haven't already, call Jake from Jakes Radiator, he sold his shop to "The Garage" but still works there a few days a week. He's on 200 W. in Bountiful.
He is the best for radiator repair.

Also, I'll echo the other guys. TBI heads flow pretty poorly compared to vortec heads. There are literally piles of chevy's at pick n pull with vortec 350s just waiting for you to bolt them on so that 350 will make more than 200 hp ;)

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... Greg, it is my understanding that the computer needs to be reprogrammed after the Vortec head swap. Is that correct? Watching this closely as I would like to do this during the winter.

I'm not sure, to be honest. I think it the TBI would work with Vortec heads.... the biggest gain with the Vortec heads is the quick burn combustion chambers. I believe the intake runners flow better too, but those things shouldn't effect how much fuel the injectors/computer are running.... IMO. I'm fairly certain that during the crossover years, GM built TBI engines with Vortec heads so it's not like it's that much of a stretch.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Well, engine is out. Here’s for hoping for a productive Saturday plopping the “new” one in

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 526BFEA2-F2E1-424B-87D5-B64DB27C2ECA.jpeg
    526BFEA2-F2E1-424B-87D5-B64DB27C2ECA.jpeg
    866.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 6072D4DD-4655-4616-8228-3FF10CADFD75.jpeg
    6072D4DD-4655-4616-8228-3FF10CADFD75.jpeg
    878.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 1BB19928-AD6E-4EAA-B656-4CBE89BA8372.jpeg
    1BB19928-AD6E-4EAA-B656-4CBE89BA8372.jpeg
    840.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Got a fair bit done today. Motor is about ready to go back in. Swapped an oil pan gasket and that killed me for time today. Had about 5 hours in it today.

Attachments

• FA461AEC-F6B7-459F-AE75-1ECC6148E7B4.jpg
    FA461AEC-F6B7-459F-AE75-1ECC6148E7B4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23