Trip Report Quick Trip to Vernal

Bart

I have missed out on the Vernal Rock Rally the past couple of years and pretty bummed out about it because I haven't wheeled there since the competition days in the early 2000s. Luckily I have a good friend Matt (UPNO4 here with the silver stretched LJ) who has been there twice this year. We put together a quick trip to Vernal last weekend with my son Eric (tan JKU), Matt's son Jake (dark blue LJ), and another buddy Dave (silver/black JKU). I had heard a lot about Docs Beach and had pretty high expectations for the trail. All I can say is it lived up to, and far exceeded my expectations. Steep climbs, crazy drops, and lots of off camber are what Vernal is all about. Of course the poser shot in the cave is always a great photo op. I was blown away at how beautiful the area is and the cool temps were awesome.

v1.jpgv2.jpgv8.jpgv3.jpg

t2.jpgTunnel.jpg

Last edited:

Bart

After Docs we were lucky enough to hook up with a couple of local guys there that have created some of the trails in the area. They took us to a new trail named White Lightning, that they are trying to make an official trail for the Rock Rally. This trail took steep climbs and drops to a whole new level and the off camber had a next level pucker factor. Big thanks to Ron and Steve for leading us through this trail.
v4.jpgv5.jpgx1.jpgx3.jpg

Bart

There was one obstacle that had a real off camber approach, and then a somewhat controlled slide to the bottom that you needed to roll through. I watched Ron go through it and decided I needed some of that. My left front tire started sliding at the top and left a long skid mark down the side. Matt did it after me and his back end came way off the ground when he hit the bottom. Ron and Steve were highly entertained with the obstacle and let Matt name it "Dumb Idea". Not sure if that will stick but it was highly appropriate at the time. There are a couple of great videos of this, but I'm not a YouTube guy, so can't post them here. Here's a pic before the off camber drop.
d1.jpgd2.jpg

This is Matt dropping in and you can see my skid mark to the side of his line.
d3.jpgd4.jpgd5.jpg

Bart

After that Ron told me about a wedge nearby that sounded like a blast. We went over and he explained the strategy and I thought what the heck, lets give it a try. It was steep and curved all the way around and thank goodness Ron was a great spotter and I made it unscathed. I was quite surprised when I finished and Ron came up and told me that I was the first one to make it through without rear steer. Apparently my judgement is not the best sometimes.
w.jpgw2.jpg