quotes for a motor rebuild

airmanwilliams

I have a younger brother going to byu-idaho in rexburg and asked if I could find anyone willing to rebuild his 351 motor in his 79 ford f150 for any cheaper than the mechanic department at school up there. The quote he was given by the instructors in the shop was $1500 and wants to see if he can get any lower quotes and a quote to rebuild the trans.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
1500 is pretty good if that included parts. What trans does he have behinde it? If he can leave it with me at my shop i can rebuild it for cheap if he provides the parts

airmanwilliams

Thats just what I was telling him about the price seth. not sure on the trans yet, I told him lastnight that he needs to crawl under it and look absolutely all over it for any numbers. On the parts though how would he know what piston size to get or should he get a kit with everything minus the pistons?

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
as far as parts go thats not hard. You'd use the same size piston if your just honeing it out but if he wants a slight bore then youd buy the piston to fit the new bore. Sometimes you can get way with over sized piston rings for slight bore increase but it all depends. How long could he leave it? A 351 wouldnt be hard. Does he need a carb rebuild or anything else? Does he want the engine blue printed for performance? These are all factors in cost and time. Is his tranny a manual or a auto?

airmanwilliams

as far as I can understand from him he could leave it for a couple weeks or even maybe a month and just restrict himself to campus. he doesnt need a carb rebuild wince he has a brand new carb that was bought and put on about 5 months ago. no blue printing needed. his tranny is an auto.