Race and Racism

Houndoc

Not trying to poke the hornets nest, but rather provide some food for thought.

In general, I try not be a person who puts labels on others- or tries to guess what is in their heart. But I will admit to, on occasion, using the term 'racist' or 'racism' to describe someone's comments on social media. This includes close friends and relatives who have made comments regarding minorities or immigrants that I do not think they would have ever verbalized in the pre-Trump era. Most often the poster is defensive and offended, which I can understand.

Over the last couple of days, partially in response to discussions here on RME, I have put additional thought into that term and what it may really mean.

Obviously very few people wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and say with a smile "I am so glad I am a racist" while putting a reminder in their phone to pick up their white hood from the dry cleaners. That category of hate is fortunately rare, although certainly does exist.

However, I will hear people make broad, negative generalization about immigrants or question whether an individual is legally in the country based simply on ethnicity or accent. Most all these comments are directed towards Hispanics or other "people of color". It may be something as simple as "have you been to Arizona recently, they are everywhere" when discussing the impact of illegal immigration (the implication or assumption being that most Hispanics are here illegally).

In my mind, making negative generalizations about any group of people based on ethnicity, place of origin, religion etc is in reality racism. And sadly at one point or another pretty much everyone of us (myself included) are probably guilty of these types of thoughts or comments.

My point is simply this, perhaps there is a more subtle and pervasive form of racism in society that masks itself under different heading- law and order, culture etc.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
As someone who spent some significant time working with Illegal Immigrants from not only Hispanic/Latin countries, but also African, and Carribean countries when doing my "2 year religious vacation" I found that they tend to be the most, as you define, "racist" people I've ever met. Many even take it further to being national, hating those from a specific country just because it's their culture to hate Peruvians and Chileans.

I admit before spending that time with those cultures and ethnicity I was indeed a "soft racist." Many of my opinions changed and many others were solidified. I think the biggest problem many have with the immigration is the lack of change in people. They don't change their life when they come here. They go back to living exactly how they did in the country they supposedly fled from.

As @Hickey stated, your definition is very broad and basically labels everyone racist, which I don't deny, most people do have a slight bit of "racism" as per your definition, myself included.
But by definition I believe most people are not racist.

But for more food for thought, here is my point of view. I have nothing against anyone's skin color, its just the pigment of their skin, means nothing. But I have everything against certain cultures, which is where most people get it wrong. It just happens that certain pigments of skin tend to be a higher population than others in certain cultures.

Go hang out in an LA or Chicago ghetto and tell me that that culture is a safe place to be. Or in New Jersey where there is multiple whole cities that don't speak English and is almost, if not more dangerous than those LA/Chicago Ghettos. It's has nothing to do with people's skin color or their "Race," But everything to do with a pervasive negativity of the culture that they claim to have fled from but refuse to abandon the negative effect of it when they come here.

Then through that culture they hold themselves and those around them down. Because if you are a black man who grew up in a ghetto and try to make something of your life then you are now titled an "Oreo" or lose your "Black Card" and not welcome back to your family. I've seen it several times.

I could go on and on but I feel myself encroaching upon rambling in frustration which is never good when trying to express a point of view.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I think your interpretation of the word racism is far more broad than the dictionary.
Exactly
Racism is prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Those other discriminatory or mean words are certainly not kind, but by definition, are not racism.

Example: if an individual were to be rude to someone based on what country they are from (Mexico for example) it is not racism, it's definitely not kind or good nor should we condone that behavior, but "Mexico" is not a race- it's a country. (This is probably nationalistic).
Calling someone "Bolivian" or "German" may be an incorrect assumption about their place of origin but still not racist. It could be perceived or even expounded with a rude connotation and that's certainly a prejudice, but still by definition, not racism.

I only have a prejudice against people saying, "excspecially."

I think precision of speech is important to convey ourselves better electronically since tone and intent are not exactly conveyed clearly in text.

In other words, the secret to humanity's happiness is for all of us to quick being jerks to each other.

If you don't like what some person is saying on the internetzzz, don't call them a racist, or a bigot or sexist or try to offend them, maybe try ignoring them or talking to them in private and tell them to cut it out instead of escalating the encounter.

Coco

In the obama days, anyone who disagreed with his policies was considered a racist, bigot, etc. It's funny that one party STILL seems to think this, and really try to push the race card, bigotry, etc. if you do not agree with their views, or follow the current red president.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Is real racism a problem in the world? Absolutely. Unfortunately, I feel like snowflake democrats have perverted what real racism is. They've watered it down to apply to any and all possible negative references about a race of people or even groups of people defined by where they are from, including when actual facts about a race or group of people are brought to light that may not help their agenda and including anything slightly politically incorrect (which is a whole different rant) where somebody of any non-white skin is referred to or about. Many people have now adopted the loose term definition and sling it around with any whim of debate. Many others now view racism simply as a "card" that is pulled as a defensive or offensive tool 99% of the time, and therefore don't give any weight to the word "racist" or "racism" whatsoever, including myself much of the time.

Long story short, they made "racism" mean everything and so now (or soon) it will mean nothing, which is sad for those who truly are affected beyond what they can control by real racism.

Houndoc

I like the term used above of 'soft racism', I think it captures well the general attitudes I am meaning.

And again, my point is not to make people defensive or argue, but to get us all thinking about our attitudes and actions towards those who are different from us.

ID Bronco

This might be immigration based, not racism, but bear with me.

I believe the lack of assimilation is a big driver to poor attitudes against immigrants. They can be any color, nationality, ect. I served a mission in south Florida. It had every kind of person I ever imagined. Some were so glad to be here and wanted to be as "American" as possible. Then others would form little communities of their own (example: Little Havana) and be very exclusive of anyone else. The groups who wanted to become American in every way were very excepting of everyone. The ones that came here and wanted to live like they did before were very "racist" to everyone but their group. These groups existed and were every color, religion, nationality imaginable.

As a white American male, I would like racism to apply to everyone for the same behavior. I have been spit on, called racial slurs, targeted violently, and so on for my skin color and religion in many of the aforementioned neighborhoods. But, they aren't held to the same standards as whites are.

The elephant in the room to me with racism are the double standards. Why is it ok to have a Negro College Fund and not a White College Fund? Poor white kids need money for college too. Black history month is celebrated, while if there were a counterpart it would be the work of the devil. Race is irrelevant to a person's worth. If we are all children of God as I believe, race means nothing, but actions and attitudes are the things I like or don't like in people.

You can be a classy person of any color and deserve and get respect, and you can be a slime ball of any color and deserve no respect.

I also think as a people we need to choose to be less offended by everything. The snowflake culture of micro aggression and made up white privilege, have made us more divided. I didn't know I was privileged when I worked two jobs to get through college on my own without money from anyone else, and taking care of a family at the same time. Well, until someone told me I was.

Man, I'm all over the place. Thanks for a place to ramble on.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Identifying different categories is not being racist. There are so many inputs, that our brains have evolved to block things into hierarchies in a split second. This has been pretty widely proven by psychologists. We all block people and things into groups and you are not going to stop that in your lifetime even in yourself with intense focused effort. Forget about getting others to stop doing it subconsciously.
Does mentioning a group as "they" have any negative implications? If I said They don't drink alcohol? In reference to Mormons, would you automatically assign me a negative attitude towards Mormons? What if you knew I'm from Utah country? Now what if I was from New York? Would my place of origin change how you perceived my statement? I believe it would even though the words are the same.
We all judge people. It's necessary to survive. It's not necessary to be offended or hurt by other people. That is a choice.
I think Gravy has a very good point. If you don't like what someone is saying talk to them kindly and honestly about it. Don't assume they are mean spirited. We all have blind spots.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
If you don't like what someone is saying talk to them kindly and honestly about it. Don't assume they are mean spirited. We all have blind spots.

That's the problem with today, not enough talking. I am certain that if people just got together and had an open-minded chat there would be a heck of a lot less devisiveness in this country.