Ram Hemi towing experiences?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have been missing having a truck with in bed camper and looking at replacing our Yukon XL, it has the 6.0 and tows our boat "okay". I want to find a decent used truck that will tow our boat (5k combined boat/trailer weight) and mount a lightweight popup camper (likely an FWC or similar), price point is under $10k. Looking on ksl there seem to be a lot of Rams with the Hemi in both 1500 and 2500 chassis with under 150k miles in that price range. My experience with Dodge was 90's truck interiors that fell apart if you looked at them wrong. The 1500 with 3.92 axle and 5 speed auto plus 6ish foot bed would be the goal if adequate, what are your thoughts?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I really liked my 8.1 Suburban. I’d like it even more in a truck.

I’ve had much better luck and felt like the quality was better on the F*rd Super Duty’s I’ve owned. My wife has had an excellent experience with her two Navigators as well. Just our experience. I’m sure someone will chime in and tell me how they’ve had fantastic luck with their Dodges and horrible luck with a 6.0 Ford or something (they are a ticking time bomb along with their buddy the 6.4).

All brands have their flaws and crappy models. Just avoid the troubled units and find a clean rig. Oh, and hope you didn’t get a pile

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I had a 2004 ram 3/4 ton with a hemi. Was a good truck and towed ok but liked to be in the upper RPM range and was fairly thirsty.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I really liked my 8.1 Suburban. I’d like it even more in a truck.

I’ve had much better luck and felt like the quality was better on the F*rd Super Duty’s I’ve owned. My wife has had an excellent experience with her two Navigators as well. Just our experience. I’m sure someone will chime in and tell me how they’ve had fantastic luck with their Dodges and horrible luck with a 6.0 Ford or something (they are a ticking time bomb along with their buddy the 6.4).

All brands have their flaws and crappy models. Just avoid the troubled units and find a clean rig. Oh, and hope you didn’t get a pile

If it wasn't almost double my budget I would pick this one up, I still might but would have payments https://cars.ksl.com/listing/5932628?ad_cid=2

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I had a 2004 ram 3/4 ton with a hemi. Was a good truck and towed ok but liked to be in the upper RPM range and was fairly thirsty.

I think that's just a trait of small block engines, the 6.0 LS engine in our Yukon loves to rev and gulp down gas, the newer 6+speed transmissions help with that but are out of my budget.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
If it wasn't almost double my budget I would pick this one up, I still might but would have payments https://cars.ksl.com/listing/5932628?ad_cid=2

That looks like a super clean truck. Throwing the camper desires aside, a Suburban will have the same engine (different trans) and seat more folks at half the price without the ugly (my opinion of course) front sheet metal of the 2002-06 Chevrolet. I think I’d almost rather have the power delivery of the 4L80 vs the Allison? Go drive a few trucks and Sub/Yukon and see what you think.

I got decent mileage unloaded out of my 8.1. 13-14 mpg commuting out of that was pretty impressive in my opinion. My 2010 V10 Super Duty gets 12mpg commuting. 13 on a 75 mph freeway trip. Both big gassers were/are right at 7-9 mpg towing. You might squeak 10 mpg towing if you stayed at 62 mph and didn’t have any hills. Look (Or swap time them if you find a clean rig) for the lower differential gear ratios in either the V10 Ford or the 8.1. For a regular size boat any big gasser whatever the diff gear will work fine.

Last edited: