Ratcheting Wrenches

Asbjorn

My old Stanley ratcheting wrenches are failing after several years. I believe I bought these when Stanley was still somewhat respectable. Now I’m looking for a new set, and it looks like Gearwrench is a common choice, but I see mixed reviews on longevity. I don’t use them daily in a shop, but I want something to last if I someday decide to start wrenching on things as a profession.

What’s working for you? How long have you had them?

Right now, I’m seriously considering buying Snap On, Mac, Blue Point…

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My old Stanley ratcheting wrenches are failing after several years. I believe I bought these when Stanley was still somewhat respectable. Now I’m looking for a new set, and it looks like Gearwrench is a common choice, but I see mixed reviews on longevity. I don’t use them daily in a shop, but I want something to last if I someday decide to start wrenching on things as a profession.

What’s working for you? How long have you had them?

Right now, I’m seriously considering buying Snap On, Mac, Blue Point…
I've used Stanley and Gearwrench ratcheting before. The Stanley broke pretty quickly, but the Gearwrench are holding up after maybe 5 years. I try not to use a ratcheting wrench on any bolt/nut that I really need to put my whole weight into.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have a set of Blackhawk I’ve had for 20 years no problems. Just bought a set of Milwaukee to try at the side hustle since they were 40% off, been impressed with my coworkers Milwaukee hand tools

Was going to order tekton until I found the Milwaukee’s on sale

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I have several sets of ratcheting wrenches and it seems they each have a specific area they have their pros and cons in. I work on a wide variety of items so each time I purchased wrenches I ended up buying an SAE as well as a Metric set. The left side of my toolbox is SAE and the right side is Metric.

In the picture of my wrench drawer below, sets marked #1 were my very first sets I purchased back around 2000. They are Matco with a traditional box on one end and ratcheting on the other. These are awesome wrenches and have been used a lot. I don't flog or beat on my tools so I use the box end to break stubborn fasteners loose and then switch over to the ratcheting end. I have co-workers who have had to warranty a few here and there because they will get too aggressive with the ratcheting end rather than breaking them loose with the fixed end first. These are not what is considered "reversible" in the traditional sense where you flip a lever to change directions. You have to turn the wrench over to change directions as the sprag is not changeable. I have met one instance where this wrench literally got me into a situation where I had to cut the fastener to get out of. Working on a large RV I was running a fastener on and when the nut tightened up, there were so many exposed threads of the bolt that they prevented me from removing the wrench. Rather than let the wrench go with the coach I ended up having to get a die grinder with cut-off disc to cut the threads of the bolt to retrieve my ratcheting wrench. Now I pay close attention to those areas.

Wrench sets labeled #2 are my Snap-on standard length combination open/ratcheting with reverse function and I really like these wrenches. They are "nearly" my go to wrenches with only my standard Snap-on non-ratcheting combination wrenches easily being my "go-to" wrenches. I have had these about 15 year so so. Quality wise these are top shelf and a joy to use. Only had one failure and it was a retaining ring that come off on the 9/16" wrench allowing the center ratcheting part to fall on the shop floor. Upon inspection I could see where I must have gotten it into a bind and the retaining ring walked out. I reinstalled the retaining ring and it has been fine ever since.

Wrench sets labeled #3 are my stubby Gearwrench ratcheting combination wrenches. I use these quite a lot and they have been great wrenches for tight spots. I waffled on these because I really wanted the Snap-on stubbies but was having a hard time justifying the cost. I opted to give the Gearwrench a try and have not been disappointed. I purchased these about 15 years ago at nearly the same time I bought the Snap-on standard length ratcheting wrenches. Similar situations here, I break fasteners loose with either my stubby combination wrenches (Snap-on & MAC) or something else before I go to the stubby ratcheting wrenches to prolong their life and not harm the ratcheting mechanism. I have not experienced any failure of any of these stubby ratcheting wrenches. For the most part a better track record than my Snap-on standard length set.

Wrench sets labeled #4 are the newest to my wrench drawer as I have only had them about 4 years now. I bought these to reach some awkward areas on some FWD cars where I needed to break fasteners loose but space is narrow and limited. Both of these sets are the extended length Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches and I have not used them much at all but I bought them based on the great results I had with the Gearwrench stubby ratcheting wrenches.
wrenchdrawer1.jpg

I have also had a set of Blackhawk stubby ratcheting wrenches for a short time but did not care for them at all. The teeth didn't seem to have a good feeling engagement and I didn't have confidence in them that they would hold nor last. If I can't trust a tool I don't feel like it belongs in my toolbox so the Blackhawk ones were replaced with the Gearwrench. I know Proto makes the Blackhawk and for the most part I really like my Proto tools but I cannot recommend the Blackhawk ratcheting wrenches.

Mike

Asbjorn

@zmotorsports thank you for taking the time to write up such a detailed response!

The reversible lever is responsible for 2 of my current wrench failures, the third being lack of any engagement in either direction. I think on my next set I will go with a wrench set without reverse levers, as it just seems like once less failure point.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
@zmotorsports thank you for taking the time to write up such a detailed response!

The reversible lever is responsible for 2 of my current wrench failures, the third being lack of any engagement in either direction. I think on my next set I will go with a wrench set without reverse levers, as it just seems like once less failure point.
The Stanley failures I experienced all had the reversible lever.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Snap on ratchetting wrenches are the most expensive cost per tool that Snap on sells. I have various generations of Gear wrench and they have worked fine. The new Icon stuff from Harbor Freight is a good in between option in my opinion.

I just bought (actually the company just bought me ;) ) HF Icon "Professional" flex wrenches and I've been using them quite a bit, they're pretty high quality and seem like they will last quite a while.

Being a heavy equipment mechanic, I believe that I'll be able to put them through a fairly decent test and see how well they do over time.

Asbjorn

I have had the GearWrench units for about 20 years. Same as above, just use them to ratchet, not to break things free.

Gearwrench seems to have a solid track record, but I have to wonder if the modern-day wrenches are built to the same specs/standards as those 20 years ago. It seems that most things have become lower quality at the same price point.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor

You are very welcome.

The only two issues I have with my ratcheting wrenches that do not use a reversible lever is that they are perfectly flat, no angle at the end which can negate their use in very specific scenarios. Secondly, that you have to be careful where you use them as to not "wrench yourself into a corner" like I did and could not get the wrench back off of the fastener. Granted, those are isolated instances and as long as you are aware I think it is less of a concern. It only took me one time to be cautious about the situation.

That being said, on my Snap-on and Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches I have not had any issues with the reversing lever itself and I feel having the angled head on a wrench is a benefit most of the time. It's hard choosing just one. :thinking:

I've had a set of Snap-On ratcheting wrenches for almost 40 years. Wow - I just realized what that sounds like to some of you! These don't have a lever, you just turn them over for right and left turn. I've had absolutely no reliability problem with them. My only minor complaint is the ratchet teeth are fairly course - hasn't been a problem in any case that I can remember. Good to hear about everyones experience with GearWrench

85CUCVKRAWLER

Harbor freight has a new line of tools from Taiwan call "Icon". They are WELL worth the money. Much higher quality and much better construction. I would highly suggest them. Im in the process of replacing all my good set of wrnechs/rachets with icon.

Otherwise, i would suggest Pittsburgh (harbor freight) long before any of the stanely/craftsman/kobalt brands. All three of those brands are chinses made but cost almost double what the Pittsburgh brand costs. I would even go so far as ato say the pittsburgh brand is BETTER MADE than stanely/craftsman/kobalt brands.

Asbjorn

As tempting as it is to try out the Icon line, I’m trying really hard lately to not take the “cheap” option like I’ve been known to do in the past. I’m really trying to embrace the “buy once, cry once” idea, especially when it comes to tools. If I can drop the money now to get a set of tools that will last me 30-40 years, I’d rather do it than have to buy a cheaper set every 5-10.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I have a set of Gearwrench flex heads. I like them a lot, they're a game changer under the hood. The ratcheting portion on the 10mm stripped out when I cranked on it too hard, and the flex hinge on the 12mm wore out from overuse and I couldn't tighten it up any more. I got both warrantied at NAPA for free, but that was several years ago...

edit - these are maybe ten, twelve years old? No experience with the stuff on the shelves today, but if they still have the warranty and can be exchanged at NAPA I wouldn't hesitate.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a set of Gearwrench flex heads. I like them a lot, they're a game changer under the hood. The ratcheting portion on the 10mm stripped out when I cranked on it too hard, and the flex hinge on the 12mm wore out from overuse and I couldn't tighten it up any more. I got both warrantied at NAPA for free, but that was several years ago...

edit - these are maybe ten, twelve years old? No experience with the stuff on the shelves today, but if they still have the warranty and can be exchanged at NAPA I wouldn't hesitate.
The flex heads are gonna be my next tool purchase.

1969honda

Supporting Member
I'm little more like Mike and Greg, heavy equipment mechanic full time and part time side, but I end up working on everything from SxS, jeeps, land cruisers, Super HETTs and occasionally an M88 wrecker. Gear Wrench has always held up fine as long as they are used as Mike mentioned and not for breaking fasteners loose. The only failure I have had was 15 years or so ago with a 15/16" on the open end. It split one side off while trying to break a starter loose on a Massey Ferguson 1155. My knuckles still remember that day....

On some of the craftsman and others with a lever beware the offset handle is nice, but the box end has a lip on one side. They can only go on a fastener one way. I noticed that about that same time s my great wrench broke 15 years ago while working part time at the local Sears.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I’ve abused my blackhawks and broken lots of bolts loose with them. I was reminded of one thing I dislike about them today actually. Trying to bolt a bonding strap in a wing and was reminded the blackhawks are quite thick on the ratchet end, but mine are older. Used a coworkers gear wrench set which fit in the small space better