Rattle and Squeak Fixes

Seth

These go to 11
My CJ buggy is noisy AF. I am always looking for ways to quite her down. I undercoated the hood which helped. I adjusted the hood hinges and gave it more gap off the cowl, that helped. I tried homemade bump stops for the hood - rattled and broke them the first time out. I need to find some better hood latches that clamp tighter. I need to quite the spring with something. etc etc etc

What have you guys done? What works to get rid of your rattles?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Let me know if you figure out how to keep your coils quiet.

I just remounted my fuel pump and made it MUCH.... louder. :ugh:

On my hood I use old/used clevite bushing cut in half around the hood pins. Nice and quiet there!

Seth

These go to 11
I need to relocate my fuel pump. I have had two fail because of heat. It's too close to the exhaust combine that with 109 on Coyote Canyon and done. It's noisy but not annoying. The squeaks of the springs, on the other hand, are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I've got the factory hood clips.
Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 11.10.10 PM.png
They just have too much play in them. They let the hood bounce around way too much.

I am thinking of moving to something that has positive locking. But they are spendy... and way nicer than the rest of the rig.
Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 11.13.51 PM.png

I am going to try some replacement "grommets", now that I know the term to search. I always thought of grommets as the o-rings that protect wires through the firewall. I keep searching for bumps or the like...

$1.50 I can handle.
Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 11.18.06 PM.png

Part of my problem is the fiberglass tub. It seems to move more then one would think.

RockChucker

I used autofab hood pins to hold my hood shut. They work good. I'm going down the path of getting rid of rattles and squeaks too. Going to be using some sort of floor cover (might use stable mats to damp sounds) and some DEI heat shield under the tub to keep out some heat. I want to "seal" the gaps in the cab too to help keep noise out more.