Trip Report Rattlesnake and Constrictor cleanup run AKA Britney broke a nail

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

We met at the trailhead at 9 am, unloaded, and aired down. @DaveB and son started picking up trash around the parking area and all of the sudden we were like “Oh yeah, we’re here for that reason today” so we all grabbed a bag and followed his example.

Most of the trash we picked up down in that area was dust-covered and a little less obvious, but if you stood around long enough with your eyes open, there’s plenty to pick up.

We then jumped in our rigs and stopped every few hundred yards to fill more trash bags. Plenty of used 12 gauge shells in this area.

85F537D9-F570-448E-8C9F-81E56E7824C6.jpeg

A little ways up the actual trail on Rattlesnake, the guys came across a recently abandoned campfire that was still way too hot to abandon.

7106493A-5519-4CD3-A296-2EC792E78224.jpeg

You could still feel quite a lot of heat coming off this campfire and there were plenty of coals still smoking. We scattered the rocks, spread a little dirt over it, and spread a little water on it as well. We didn’t have much water to spare, so it might be a good idea to bring an extra 5 gallon can of it if anyone heads out there these days. There are a lot more people camping out there than ever before, and it’s already quite dry this year.

I didn’t take too many pics, but we worked our way up to the Wayne’s World area.

8F11F912-1BF4-4344-8953-D667DCD5C673.jpeg
0751A284-50BE-4C83-940E-FB1A72B9BBB9.jpeg

Shane and Tony walked right up Wayne’s World and I followed suit. I got to top and asked if anyone took video. No one had, because they were busy being responsible stewards of our public lands and were filling their garbage bags. So I backed down WW to drive it again for the gram. WW is a fickle obstacle. It was totally dry, and it denied me for probably 8 attempts and at least 1/32” of tire tread. Having been sufficiently humbled, I finally made it up for the second time.

Before reaching the Eagles Nest, Tony pointed out that the input seal I had recently replaced on my steering box was once again roached. Awesome. Small beans though, as another failure would shortly rear its ugly head.

I expected to need to winch up the Nest, but I gave it a half-hearted try when suddenly bad noises came out from behind me. The upper link mount I’d built way back in the day on the rear axle was not up to the task, and it had torn mostly away from the housing, which let the pinion rotate upward and ripped the ujoint caps off.

A9F23DC2-8FD7-4FEA-B2A3-F35337FB7E34.jpeg
We zip-tied the driveshaft out of the way and winched me up the Nest the rest of the way. I decided to limp it back to the trailer from there in front wheel drive. It was a pretty slow and bumpy drive, and the axle would walk side to side depending on terrain. After dodging 38 families of motobikes who were quite surprised to find another vehicle on their trail on blind corners, Britney dragged her broken ass up on the trailer with several pieces of SXS body parts and a full trash bag on board. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nice work on the trail cleanup guys, glad you were successful removing trash & putting out the fire! Thanks for getting this done despite my absence.

Sucks about the carnage, time for Britney to hit the gym and focus on Leg Day!
The damage isn't really too bad. Needs some brake lines and a new truss/bridge. They didn't have options for trusses back then, and I'm pretty sure Carl hadn't built his table yet.

xjtony

I'm amazed that the springs held on all the way back to the trailer. By the time we were headed back down the truss was completely separated from the axle.

I only got video of Wayne's World toying with you but I did get some pics when you made it up.
20210515_112903.jpg
20210515_112933.jpg
20210515_112935.jpg
20210515_112937.jpg

It was a good trip overall. We got quite a bit of trash, and had good weather. I made it up Eagles Nest unassisted for the first time! I didn't get a ton of pics but I got a few.
20210515_110437.jpg
20210515_110430.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That was a fun quick trip. Not so fun picking up after others but always good to help keep the area open.

As with the others, I also spent more time picking up trash and wheeling than I did taking photos... but I did get a few good photos and videos:

IMG_5243.jpeg

IMG_5244.jpeg

Tony gets "Smiles per gallon"
IMG_5247.jpeg

It was awesome seeing this jeep back out on the trail. She still works great!
IMG_5251.jpeg

IMG_5258.jpeg