RC Shock Advice

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I bought brushless slash 4x4 from a WC club member a week ago. I've taken it to the school down the street a couple times and managed to jump it into a light pole Wednesday night. It broke the front a-arm which I replaced with a RPM part. While I was changing that though I found that the shock shaft is bent as well. I guess I can see that I can buy a replacement shaft for a few bucks but is that an acceptable repair or should I be looking to get new shocks all around? The cap came off the shock but it doesn't appear to be broken. While at the WV hobby shop the guy helping me mentioned traxxas has a 4 shock replacement set for like $55. I guess I'm wondering if I ought to get those verses swapping out the shaft.

Plan is to bash it but Carl has called me out for a race so there is that. lol. I bought trenchers today too and I'm excited to see how they help out.

Nappy

Nappystunts.com
Upgraded Traxxas shocks are good. 4x4 Slash's are great fun for bashing. But if you're racing a Losi, Associated, or similar, their 4x4s will smoke you on a track. They handle much better on a groomed track. But if you're just racing out in the yard, it'll be more evenly matched.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I replaced a bent shaft on mine. Pretty straightforward, but you will need shock oil as well as the new shaft.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I already bought shock oil yesterday because it all drained out. I watched a video last night on swapping the shafts and it did seem easy.

@Nappy me and Carl apparently have the same trucks so it'll come down to sheer grit and determination in our race. :) I've been interested in an RC truck for a long while but when this one popped up for the price it was I figured I'd jump on it. The first night out I guess I was still in training mode and it was fun. The second night when I switched it to normal mode I couldn't stop laughing...and I couldn't keep it shiny side up. The shell isn't so shiny any more but I'm excited to get it back together and zip around some more.

Does anyone have a place they like to bash out on the west side? I scoped a place thats in the early stages of being developed the other day with some small trenches and dirt piles unless I get another suggestion. We're currently in West Jordan near Copperhills HS.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I bought enough arms for both ends and will look at the RPM bumpers. I did buy a 5000mAh 2s that I've been running but also have some smaller 1300 mAh 3s packs from when I was playing with quadcopters. It was fast enough on the 2s in regular mode for now though. I have no idea how or why people run 6s on these cars.

I'll probably stay away from concrete for now, at least until I get a better feel for driving it. (I'll pull out the 3s for my race with Carl though.)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I decided to save some money and rebuild the stock shocks with new shafts. It went well enough and I got through a couple packs afterwards without breaking anything.

One other question I had about the shocks. Should I be running the preload spacers on them? It came with 2 small and 2 bigger spacers on each shock.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Preload spacers mostly set your ride height. Although if your springs are slack at full droop you can lose the lower retainer.