Reaching a 19' ceiling in the middle of entryway.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I need to replace a chandelier that I had the builders install in my entryway. Problem is said entryway has a 19' ceiling.

1- Does anyone here have a 15'-ish A-Frame style ladder I could borrow for about an hour?

2- Does anyone have a better idea than my current best* on how to reach said ceiling? (see below)

Current Best Method:
Use "gorrila" style extendable ladder lashed to a second to make a-frame. Send wife Climb ladder while crossing fingers and toes that it won't fall over and break wife myself.

Space specs: 19'1 3/16" floor to ceiling, 10' 5 13/16" wide (skinny span). Chandelier is in the middle of the space opening so a ladder leaned against a wall won't do (even considering my excellent reach* ((*see below))

Consider that I'm not a skinny man when concocting any ideas. Super duper bonus points for not making me spend any more money to reach the ceiling. I do have excellent reach, current measurements are 8'3" flat footed.

Let me know if there are any additional details needed.

***This is why you don't send your wife to pick up excellently priced but lightly used, chandeliers found on KSL since she would drive right past them on her way home from work.***

4x4_Welder

Extension ladders*. Ladder #1 from bottom corner to upper corner, bottom of ladder #2 tied to middle of ladder #1, reaching to opposite wall. I saw it in some post about dumb workers, it'll be fine.

*Probably not a good idea. Rental places have step ladders, that would be my first try. Should be under $20 to rent for a half day.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Get a straight ladder, that is almost tall enough. Put a jack under the first rung, and jack it up until it’s wedged against the ceiling.

Or go to the local church house, grab their huge ladder for changing lights in the gym, usually about 20’.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
#1- upgrade life insurance
#2- check on disability insurance
#3- drive to home depot and get a... Laborer with good balance and fence climbing skills. Any race should suffice.
#4- grab coffee and donuts, so you have something to do while your hired monkey swings from your ceiling.

Jesser04

#1- upgrade life insurance
#2- check on disability insurance
#3- drive to home depot and get a... Laborer with good balance and fence climbing skills. Any race should suffice.
#4- grab coffee and donuts, so you have something to do while your hired monkey swings from your ceiling.

Racist ;)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Get a straight ladder, that is almost tall enough. Put a jack under the first rung, and jack it up until it’s wedged against the ceiling.

This is obviously the current leader.

i don't have scaffolding. I already ate my donut allotment for the day. HD laborers are too expensive.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Pull the kitchen table over and stick ladder on it? (Depends on strength/stability of table). I believe with you gorrila ladder you're at about 11foot and if you got a 8 foot reach you might make it... Get video if you don't...

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
That might be a solid lead, I do have one of those tall style height tables (that I hate by the way...) I'm not sure how much I trust the table.

On the other side we are going bed shopping today so if we find one I can put the old King on one side and the new king on another to break my fantastic fall down. (Why did the video to "Turn Down For What" just pop into my mind.)

Tonkaman

Nate please don’t do any of these ideas!

I have an 18’ A-frame ladder I can loan you from work. I’m out of town till Tuesday, but we could work it out someday next week.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
This thread had a lot of potential but I sold out yesterday and rented a 14' ladder from HD. It cost me $38.11 for 4 hours. I got the job done without any drama (or broken body parts) but do appreciate the comments and suggestions that were given here.

Tonkaman

This thread had a lot of potential but I sold out yesterday and rented a 14' ladder from HD. It cost me $38.11 for 4 hours. I got the job done without any drama (or broken body parts) but do appreciate the comments and suggestions that were given here.
I apologize I didn’t get you that ladder Nate. I remembered while you we’re gone to Disneyland, but spaced it off. I’m glad you got it done safely, sorry it cost you $40 though.