Ready Welder II Review

VerdeXJ

Go sell that cheap welder you bought from Harbor Freight (HF). the Ready Welder is all it is claimed to be.

My long month-long project started off replacing the rear leaf springs on the XJ. As most of you know, the front eye bolt seizes in the sleeve and the nutweld. Anyway, after cutting off the bolts to remove the leaf springs. I then borrowed a torch and burned out the bolt and a little carpet.

Once it all cooled, I saw just how big of a hole I made. Solution, weld a piece of metal over it.
Option 1, my neighbor just bought a welder. After a quick call, he had it permanently mounted, 220volt, in his garage.
Option 2, head over to HF, pick up a cheap welder. Reading the instructions, it wants a 50 amp fuse. I think I will risk it with the 20 amp fuse in the garage. After spending a day trying to get the wire to feed. I figure, there has to be a better option. It goes back to HF.
Option 3, pick up a 4X4 friendly welder. I went with the Ready Welder because you don't need to mount it in a vehicle, it is very portable. It can work with one or two batteries.

Pull out the credit card, a few days later UPS stops by.

My welding experience consists of an adult high school program about 7 years ago. After the first session, I realized the class was for people who knew how to weld, but didn't have any equipment. I think I attended two sessions. I cut a piece of metal with a torch and picked up a stick welder and fused is on the welding table.

So being a complete novice, I read through all of the RW instructions, several times and watched a few you tube welding shows. Now I think I can master this. I connected it to one battery. It would feed the line, but wouldn't weld. I then pulled the battery out of the minivan and connected them up. Wow, it looks like this thing really works.

I quickly mastered the art of burning holes in thin sheet metal. After clogging up all of the tips supplied with the welder, I ran to the closest Home improvement store and picked up a bunch more and some wire. When I returned, I graduated to thicker metal, 1/8in. Using the two batteries, I was unable to obtain sufficient heat. I then reread the manual and hooked up the batteries in reverse order. There is a way to connect the batteries, the Green LED or the Red LED. The Red way produced much more heat and I was able to penetrate the 1/8 metal. After a couple horrible beads and a practice weld. Time to hit the old XJ.

The manual suggests a stitch weld for thin metals to avoid burn through. With the thin unibody frame, I didn't want to risk it. After several welds, it looks like it is going to hold. The welds are not pretty, by any means, but I think they will hold.

My overall impression, the Ready Welder II is a great little tool. It enabled a complete novice like me to learn how to weld and make satisfactory welds in short order. I would feel comfortable making repairs on the trail or in the garage. Compared to the shop MIG welders, the Ready welder will stand up to any of them and not blow the fuse.

After spending the day practicing, the battery went back in the minivan with plenty of juice.

The RW has earned my appreciation.

Corban_White

http://www.readywelder.com/

10000.png

Erik d_lux

I carry mine on the trail. I love it!

Its a bit hard to get a good looking weld with when youre running flux .035 though. Especially when its thin wall metal youre fixing. It burns hot!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I carry mine for trail fixes. It works great and has welded all sorts of stuff in the middle of nowhere. I would also recommend.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I carry mine so other people can fix their broken junk and use up all my tips and not offer to replace them. :)

I've only actually used it on my own broken junk once.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I carry mine so other people can fix their broken junk and use up all my tips and not offer to replace them. :)

I've only actually used it on my own broken junk once.

If I ever have to use yours, I'll remember to not offer to replace any consumables. :)

I've been wanting to get one of these to pack in my rig. It could be a life saver for sure.