Rear 4 link

Freeman Jeep

So I am about to link the rear of my xj. I have a question for those that have done so. How did you mount your upper link brackets to the frame with the fuel lines in the way and that stupid evap emissions box in the way also? If there is a link to a build or a different way I am all ears and would appreciate the help. Thank you in advance.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
On my son in law's xj he put on frame stiffeners then welded the upper link brackets to the stiffeners.We routed the lines around the brackets. His was a 95 so the evap was up front.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I went to the bottom side of the unibody rails when I did mine. I had enough height that it worked for me that way. Granted, when I built that hunk o junk I was pretty much blind to what's "right", I was only 17 at the time. Wish I still had my up-close pics but I lost hundreds of pictures when imageshack died.
IMG_5841.jpg

Freeman Jeep

ya when i was running everything through the calculator i need my uppers 26" from the ground which puts them right smack in the middle of the frame for me. running the lines around might work i will have to look at it. the evap is in a terrible spot.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
It all really depends on what type of link setup you are going for. Single triangulated, double triangulated? Each would require something different. With a single triangulated you are going to get axle steer, this can be dealt with to a point but you will always have it. A double would be a better choice but harder to make fit with proper separation. I would look at the Clayton kit as to how they did theirs. Granted you"ll be left with the same problem of having to route the lines either around or cutting a notch into the cross member to pass them through.

So the first couple of pictures is how I did mine in a single. Again it had axle steer but I was lucky that it didn't really become an issue till almost full droop. The last picture is how Claytons does their rear links in a double. If I were to do it again it would be a double that is more like the Claytons rear setup. I was trying to get fancy when I built mine. It was made to all be unbolted and not welded on. I was using the XJ (95) as a test bed because I was looking for a two door to toss it under. The plates that the uppers are welded to were welded to the plates that wrapped the frame then also bolted through the floor along with a plate on the inside of the cab to sandwich the floor pan.

Attachments

• Recoverd_jpg_file(3051).jpg
    Recoverd_jpg_file(3051).jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Recoverd_jpg_file(5110).jpg
    Recoverd_jpg_file(5110).jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Recoverd_jpg_file(5108).jpg
    Recoverd_jpg_file(5108).jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Recoverd_jpg_file(5109).jpg
    Recoverd_jpg_file(5109).jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Recoverd_jpg_file(5170).jpg
    Recoverd_jpg_file(5170).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Recoverd_jpg_file(1283).jpg
    Recoverd_jpg_file(1283).jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Freeman Jeep

Well with the way i go it's gonna be close to a double but not really haha. Badger how did the plate sandwhich work out? I like the idea of being away from the frame rail a little.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Worked just fine. Like I said it was also welded to the frame sleeves. It also had a cross member piece that tied to the two side together as well as tying it all to the transfer case skid from the front cross member.

thenag

RockMonkey's build is sweet.

I have a Clayton setup tied to a pair of ruff stuff stiffiners.

I moved my charcoal canister to under the hood and actually used the one from my 87 Bronco it was smaller. But yeah the canister has to be moved.

On my 99, I was able to bend/relocate fuel and brake lines, I seem to remember the front upper was more of an issue for the lines. The Clayton kit hangs down pretty low, which was also nice for the np231/d300, I didn't have to try to push it through the floor board. I believe you will be building or having exhaust built too.

You will probably end up relocating the rear passenger side shock to behind the axle. Clayton has a nice little weld on bracket for that, I don't know if they sell it separately, or if you can get one from other companies.

You can look through my install pics on my build thread.

looks like suspension install starts around post #12.

https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/nathan-and-tanjas-99-xj-build-up.83436/

(big purple xj... Lehi... Ben?...)

Nathan