Toyota Rear bumper material questions....

jentzschman

Ok, I want to build a bumper similar to this:

rearbumper4ek6.jpg

I am pretty sure I am going to use a 5x2x1/4 or 3/16 rectangle stock. That is one question. Which wall thickness for the main piece? 1/4 or 3/16 or a different thickness all together?

Second:

What type/thickness to make the mounting bracket from the bumper to the frame?

I have seen these ideas:

PIC00316.jpg

tacocrazy.jpg

026_00A.jpg

Achats2007009.jpg

I am going to get a receiver tube to put in the middle, its in the first pic under the lic. and use it for towing... so I know I will need to make it beefy and gusset it really good. I am also going to add 2 D-ring shackle mounts as well like in the first pic.

Thanks.

jentzschman

Ok, I figured it out....

I'm pretty sure I know what Im going to use.

Next question, other then Wasatch steel, where are some other good shops for steel?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I just ran 1/2" flat stock off my frame and drilled some holes for the tubing. My build thread has a picture of my bumper and you can see the 1/2".Metal mart in lehi has a good selection of stuff.

jentzschman

I just ran 1/2" flat stock off my frame and drilled some holes for the tubing. My build thread has a picture of my bumper and you can see the 1/2".Metal mart in lehi has a good selection of stuff.

Sweet tacoma man!!!!

Metal mate has it! I wish you could get stuff in less quantities though... that is a PITA to get 20' of something you only need a few feet of.....

Corban_White

Here are some pics of Metal Mart's scrap pile. They have quite a bit of stuff and it is sold by the pound. The pricing and the scale are all right there so you can figure out what it will cost.

http://www.metalmart.biz/remnants.htm

I hear that Wasatch steel also has a scrap area and that they sell things by the piece-IE everything is individually priced.