Rebuilt Title

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I am currently in the process of attempting to sell my 4 seat buggy to move to a streetable wheeler. On the menu will be a 2011+ one ton JKU on 40’s or 42’s.

When searching for a JKU to start with I really like the look of a paint matched hard top. So, my choice is either a Sahara or buying a sport and having the hard top paint matched. I can find a good sport for around $20K and pay the 2 grandto have the top painted (likely do new highline fenders at the same time). OR, I can find a rebuilt titled Sahara for around the same price. I have never owned a rebuilt title and it scares me. Especially since I don’t keep a vehicle long and will likely sell it eventually and want the best resale value possible.

here is the question; will a rebuilt title on a vehicle that has the axels upgraded to one tons, aftermarket bumpers, suspension, steering, tcase, armor and possibly a cage ruin any resale value since seemly 1/3 of the vehicle won’t be stock at all?

My budget for the Jeep itself will be around $20K, the more I spend on the Jeep the less I get to spend on the fun stuff.

Thanks for your opinions.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
When buying a rebuilt title, I am wary of the type of damage it had. I always preview before repair photos. Any engine/wiring areas of damage I avoid. So it's not a rebuilt or not issue for me. It's damage specific. YMMV.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
When buying a rebuilt title, I am wary of the type of damage it had. I always preview before repair photos. Any engine/wiring areas of damage I avoid. So it's not a rebuilt or not issue for me. It's damage specific. YMMV.
Absolutely! I will definitely do my homework when it comes to making a purchase. I’ve learned my lesson with past quick purchases, online purchases or just simply being impatient.

xjtony

From my experience the biggest issue will be the insured value. A rebuilt title can be insured but at a much lower value. I wrecked our Honda Odyssey several years ago and spent hours trying to convince progressive to rebuild it even though the cost of repairs was less than the insured value. That being said depending on the vehicle it can still be a good value

Pile of parts

I'm the type that drives them into the ground so resale is usually not a concern. In that case, I might look at a branded title (but never have). In your case, where it will be highly modified, I'm not sure that it will matter if you decide to sell it - If everything functions as it should. That's my thoughts anyway...

Pike2350

The thing to remember about resale value is that you will already be getting a deal on the vehicle when you buy it...so the question is more about the mods and worry of a rebuilt title. In all honesty, given the extent of modifications you have planned, I see a rebuilt title.being of little concern. As long as you have relatively good history with the vehicle while you own it I think you will be OK.

I forsee you selling it, when it comes time to some who will use it as a rockcrawler without much concern for title condition due to the mods. They will likely know what they would be getting into.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Give John at Impulse a heads up. He can keep an eye out for what you're looking for and has awesome connections/ideas on how to help you get the project to where you'd like to take it from there. He's super good to work with.

Like mentioned above, for your list of mods, I'd try to find something cheap enough to swap in an LS that has a "normal" title status (best of luck to you) or look for something that's totalled from the axle and possibly from fwd frame damage (that you won't care about as you'll be redoing links and such anyway). Anyone with a dealers license can buy from Co-Part or similar. I'm not sure if Agility has one (I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't) but I'd imagine they'd work with you similarly. I just have bought salvage from John in the past and it worked out very well. @skippy would be similar, I'm sure.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Think about the resale market of a jku on 40s with one tons. Not quite the same as the Honda Odyssey market, for example. If someone is looking for an already built Jeep, the condition of the title should be the least of their worries.

Bart

I've had a few branded titled Jeeps, but all TJs and YJs. They were easy to verify frame and body fitment. JKUs are a different animal because of the larger size and the electronics. Spend a little extra time looking deeper at the damage, and possible hidden problems. Like has been said, John at Impulse is a great source.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My buddy had a JKU with all the options except the top you're talking about, he bought it from someone that had done it all. The lack of "Rubicon" package even though it had aftermarket axles/armor/bumpers/etc better than the Rubicon I guess made it hard to hit the check boxes on the site they were attempting to sell it on.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My buddy had a JKU with all the options except the top you're talking about, he bought it from someone that had done it all. The lack of "Rubicon" package even though it had aftermarket axles/armor/bumpers/etc better than the Rubicon I guess made it hard to hit the check boxes on the site they were attempting to sell it on.

;)

:rofl:

Evolved

Less-Known Member
A lot of good thoughts and opinions here. Thank you guys for the responses. I was going to respond last night but I had a few drinks and after typing a few sentences I felt it best to wait until today :rofl:

Anyway, after reading what some of you guys had replied with I think my biggest hang up is just owning a vehicle with a title that is not clear and free. Growing up my Dad always harped on rebuilt/reconstructed/branded titles. I am not sure if he had a bad experience at some point in his life but it is definitely embedded into me. Anytime I search for a vehicle it is the very first thing I look for (at a dealership or on KSL). I completely agree with @UNSTUCK is saying about not worrying the title if everything under the frame is custom and re-worked. At the same time; if I am looking for a built streetable crawler to buy as a turn key, I am still looking at the title very first.

Noted on John at Impulse. A good friend of mine (Ryan) works over there. I have also been talking with the super model and instagram star aka @skippy about this whole deal. He and the Agility team will likely take on this job when it comes time.

I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it until my buggy sales and it comes time to actually make a decision. Anyone need a clean 4 seat buggy?!?!?