Recent info on AF Canyon trails

KWight

I will be visiting American Fork Canyon next week and plan on running Mineral Basin, Forest Lake and Mary Ellen Gulch.
I don't think I have been on the MEG trail before and need some directions from those who have been there.
Also, I have not been to Mineral Basin or Forest Lake in 10 years. What is their recent trail condition? I have a OME lifted and locked Land Cruiser on 35" tires but did not get the rock rails installed before leaving.
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
After passing the turnoff for Forest Lake, continue up the main road. Just before the main road goes right and over the bridge, there's a big camping area on the left. There's a small sign there that says the MEG trail is adopted and maintained by the Lone Peak Fourwheelers. That is the start of MEG. As far as trail condition, you'll be fine on FL and MB. I was on MEG a couple weeks back and got stopped by the snow at the old miner's cabin, but I'm sure it's gone by now.

KWight

Thanks Coreshot, that is what I needed. It sounds like the.other trails have not changed much since the last time I was up there. Who maintains the other trails? What about the trail to George Tyng's grave?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Not sure, but I think I've seen a couple other signs from LPF up there. I don't think anyone officially maintains most of the trails up there.

Nellie

I just ran FL and MB on the 3rd and did fine - you'll do better than me as I'm running 31's on a 2" BDS lift. I do have rock sliders as well. Have not done MEG - that's on my list this summer.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
MEG is trail 111. Was there on Sunday. My family was pretty worried about the washed out part of the trail at the beginning but wasn't a big deal to me. We didn't go all the way up but got out and hiked. Beautiful area.

KWight

We enjoyed running MEG as a family this past week. My wife and her two daughters enjoyed the scenery and we attempted to tackle Forest Lake as well. Unfortunately, I neglected to air down the tires and the rocks were muddy and slippery making this combination difficult. I agreed to turn around after my other daughter began to cry and worry about getting hurt. Best to leave it for another day when the trail is more dry.
I had hoped to run Mineral Basin and Miller Hill later in the week, but the roads got a good soaking up there and the older kids had enough of the bumpy roads by that point in the week. I am hoping our efforts to save American Fork Canyon will pay off and that I will be able to visit again in the coming years. Thanks for your input and I appreciate those groups who work to maintain and keep these trails open!