Recommend me a shop

Maddeh

First let me say that while I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I do not have the time, space, or tools necessary to do my own work. I also suck at tuning an engine.

I had my Bronco in to a shop to do a few things, one of which was tune it up nicely. While they did get it to pass emissions, it now runs worse than before. Takes forever to warm up, wants to die until then, and once warm it idles somewhere around 4k+ rpm it seems like. Also, for some reason my brakes are weaker now than before (this combined with the high idle makes it difficult to hold still in gear).

I've tried working with this shop but I am frustrated enough with them that I'm ready to just write it off and go somewhere else. The question is where?

Bronco is a stock 302 / carb setup. I want it to run like its supposed to, I want the choke to work right, etc. I also want my brakes back.

Who do you recommend that can do this and do it right and not keep my rig for months on end?

Houndoc

I have had work done at BK Automotive on Highland Drive and about 3200 South. Treated me very fair. I think their number is 484-4100.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Madsen Auto will treat you right... They are a Napa shop and the owner is the race car driver Gary Madsen. His dad is "wild" Bill Madsen; also a race car driver (retired).

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The Madsen family has been freinds with our family for a LOT of years. Gary was in school still :eek::rofl: My dad was on Bill's pit crew after he quit racing himself. This was all back in the mid/late 60's and up...

He wouldn't know me from Adam, but I met him while I was driving a wrecker, ummm..., well about 13 years ago now and dropped off a lot of cars to his shop. His customers always spoke highly of him and I always took a little time to ogle his roundy round car while I was in there. Solid dude.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
He wouldn't know me from Adam, but I met him while I was driving a wrecker, ummm..., well about 13 years ago now and dropped off a lot of cars to his shop. His customers always spoke highly of him and I always took a little time to ogle his roundy round car while I was in there. Solid dude.

Back in the day their race shop was out off of 21st and Redwood (by the post office) and I remember spending lots of days/nights there as a kid - I was in heaven!!!! I remember bringing back Wild Bill's car one night after a wreck from the old race track out west. They let me 'drive' it into the shop! I guess they figured it already hit one wall, another wouldn't do much more damage! :rofl:

Maddeh

Just an update for anyone interested... I took my Bronco to Ian (Kowe69), and basically he kicks ass. It runs great now, did everything I wanted, and then some. Top notch work for a very reasonable price. I know most of you guys do your own stuff but if you ever need some work done I highly recommend Ian.

Now I'm itchin to get it out on some trails. :D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Hey man, glad to see everything work out well for ya. However, converting to EFI (depending on the method/parts used) would be the long term solution IMHO.

You runnin' a Motorcraft 2 barrel carb currently? 302 I would assume, yes?

Maddeh

Yes its all stock, 2barrel, 302, C4 auto, etc. I would like to go to EFI eventually, not sure when it will happen though. I have always planned to do a full restoration and at that time I'd put everything in that I want, efi included. That's 2-3 years down the road at least.