Recommendations - JK D44 Front Axle Swap and other exciting items

plaidfro

It has been awhile since I have posted here since I sold my last Jeep years ago. Whether a good thing (or bad thing) my wife pushed me to buy another Jeep, and I recently did.

Let me begin with the Jeep's history: 2008 Wrangler Rubicon 2door. 4" short arm lift (wished it was long arm), new 35" BFG KO tires, off-road bumpers, winch, 230k Miles, but the Motor and Trans only have 50k miles. This Jeep was originally bought and built by 'the Jeep guy's Dad (the shop out of Lindon). I paid $10k so I knew I had some room for some replacements and minor upgrades.

The known bad upon purchase was that this thing drove terrible, worse than any vehicle I have ever driven.... the vehicle has a mind of its own on steering. After a new wheel bearing and an attempt at an alignment, that led to the diagnosis that the stock D44 is bent. The recommendation is for a new front axle housing (which I agree with). Here is what I am thinking I can afford and should do... but please chime in and let me know if I am crazy and should look at other options:

TeraFlex D44 front axle housing w 0.50" walls = $2,000 (local Jeep mechanic charges $600 labor for the swap)
HD Ball Joints (if needed) $250
HD Tie Rod Ends (if needed) = $90
Possible new Wheel Bearing on other side $100
FOX 2.0 Adventurer Shocks $550 (current shocks are Bilsteins and are shot)

Total Estimated Budget = $3600

I think that it should drive solid after getting these fixes/upgrades. I am ok with spending $3600 to get it driving solid, but hope that I am not overlooking anything. I know there is always something to upgrade and replace... but I think this is a solid start. This will be a drive to the trail type of Jeep. I don't plan on any hardcore wheeling, but I do need it to be off-road trail capable.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I might look for a used rubicon 44 front before I drop that kinda coin on new housing.

but that's an excellent starting point, if you decide you want to ditch the project; I'll give you your money back on the Jeep ;)

plaidfro

I might look for a used rubicon 44 front before I drop that kinda coin on new housing.

but that's an excellent starting point, if you decide you want to ditch the project; I'll give you your money back on the Jeep ;)
Everything that I read online about Stock D44 Rubicon front axles are that there are only 3 types: 1. Bent Axles 2. non-bent axles because they have never been off-road. and 3. Soon to be bent axles. I also am now a bit leary of a used stock D44 because I don't think I could spot if it was bent or not and may put money into swapping everything onto a bum axle. I think with the TeraFlex D44 I would not really ever have to think about it again... and since its a Jeep there are going to be plenty of other parts I will need to replace or upgrade eventually (although I am trying really hard to not think that way)

Agility Customs

Vendor
JK axles typically bend the tubes and Inner Cs, the tubes can be trued up and made great again but we havent had good luck getting the Inner Cs back where they need to be in order to make them drive correctly

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
A new front axle housing is a wise choice. They are simply questionable. I haven't upgraded mine yet, but I expect I will need to at some point.

I would go with the Falcon shocks over the Fox shocks. My 2015 2 door came with the Mopar 2" performance lift and Fox 2.0 shocks. This winter I upgraded to Falcon 2.1 shocks, Speedbumps, Outback 3" coils and the Teraflex 2" stretch. It drives SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo much better now than it ever has.

Attachments

• 28A1F307-E3EA-41D8-A79E-3C0185422243.jpeg
    28A1F307-E3EA-41D8-A79E-3C0185422243.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 7D49530D-FC28-46E5-9F24-89D4C8CB1A4B.jpeg
    7D49530D-FC28-46E5-9F24-89D4C8CB1A4B.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 68B4EE07-9D87-45A7-8FF6-0589ADDD60E7.jpeg
    68B4EE07-9D87-45A7-8FF6-0589ADDD60E7.jpeg
    795.7 KB · Views: 4

plaidfro

A new front axle housing is a wise choice. They are simply questionable. I haven't upgraded mine yet, but I expect I will need to at some point.

I would go with the Falcon shocks over the Fox shocks. My 2015 2 door came with the Mopar 2" performance lift and Fox 2.0 shocks. This winter I upgraded to Falcon 2.1 shocks, Speedbumps, Outback 3" coils and the Teraflex 2" stretch. It drives SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo much better now than it ever has.
I have been trying to decide between the Fox 2.0 or the Falcon 2.1 since they were in the same price range. I am glad to hear such a positive review I was not set on FOX so that could be an easy switch

Pile of parts

While you're checking for what's wrong with the front end, make sure you look at the track bar mount and suspension mounts on the axle. I realize that those will all be addressed with a new housing but it might be part of the problem right now.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
When your mechanic swaps the gears/locker between axles, you will need a new master instal kit as well. $150-200. Its also a good time to look into changing gear ratios if it doesnt have new gears already. Absolutely go with the Falcon 2.1s over the Fox shocks. Teraflex has them dialed for the JKs. If it doesnt have aftermarket front upper or lower links, the caster is off after lifting it and will cause it to drive poorly.

Also, if you arent planning on going bigger than 35s, you could get a Dana HD D44 front axle thats a bolt in. The sell for right at $3k and come with new ball joints, gears, shafts, locker, cover, etc. No need to take it to a mechanic. Its just an afternoon bolt in job.
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...le-assembly-4-10-ratio-factory-mopar-e-locker

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The front teraflex housing is a sweet upgrade. DO it and forget about any future housing problems. I have a couple here at the house (installed and uninstalled) if you want to come and take a look and actually put your hands on one. I am not to far from you.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
While you're checking for what's wrong with the front end, make sure you look at the track bar mount and suspension mounts on the axle. I realize that those will all be addressed with a new housing but it might be part of the problem right now.

That was one of the biggest faults of the factory JK/JKU axle housing, IMO.... the brackets are stamped sheetmetal, incredibly weak. I found that out after tearing my track bar mount off the axle during a Moab trip. I decided to just pony up for the TeraFlex 44 axle housing and was glad I did, beefy control arm brackets, track mount, thick wall tube, well designed diff housing, massive knuckles, etc. It was a chunk of change, but now I don't have to worry about the front axle!

Last edited:

plaidfro

That was one of the biggest faults of the factory JK/JKU axle housing, IMO.... the brackets are stamped sheetmetal, incredibly weak. I found that out after tearing my track bar mount off the axle during a Moab trip. I decided to just pony up for the TeraFlex 44 axle housing and was glad I did, beefy control arm brackets, track mount, thick wall tube, well designed diff housing, massive knuckles, etc. It was a chunk of change, but now I don't have to worry about the front axle!
I am pretty convinced that this is the route I want to go so I can just not worry about it anymore

plaidfro

I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are and if your willing to swap the axle housing yourself, but I did mine in my garage.
I probably could try to do it myself, and would probably benefit from the knowledge gained doing it... but I am 100% fine with the local labor quotes I've received to have a professional who has done this before get it done and get it done right.

plaidfro

C's were bent... and the tube looked slightly bent. I now own a .5" walled TeraFlex D44 housing, so hopefully I never have to think of that again. The Front Control Arms were also shot which was adding to the sucky wander as well, so I replaced those. Rear Upper Control Arms are worn out and those are the next to replace