Gear / Accessories Recommendations needed for recovery strap

Homefryy

So I recently got my XJ set up with front and rear recovery points. I now need a recovery strap so I can make use of them and have no experience in this. Any recommendations on what I should get? I have been doing research and know that you don't want a tow strap for recovery and you want something that will have some stretch to it. I'm finding lots of straps that are called recovery straps like this Rugged Ridge one but it appears that it doesn't actually stretch so is it really just a tow strap? Should I be getting something like this Smittybilt Snatch Strap?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
You want both, IMO. A static strap/tow strap is most important and will serve in most recovery situations - you can tug somebody out of a stuck, you can extend a winch line, and obviously you can tow with it. For yanking a truck out of deep mud or snow it's helpful to get a running start, and that's where the snatch strap comes in. But the snatch strap is obviously not ideal for towing or winching. So get both.

Hard to go wrong with ARB, tends to be more expensive but you know the quality is there. Recovery can be dangerous enough without having to worry about sub par equipment.

Homefryy

You want both, IMO. A static strap/tow strap is most important and will serve in most recovery situations - you can tug somebody out of a stuck, you can extend a winch line, and obviously you can tow with it. For yanking a truck out of deep mud or snow it's helpful to get a running start, and that's where the snatch strap comes in. But the snatch strap is obviously not ideal for towing or winching. So get both.

Hard to go wrong with ARB, tends to be more expensive but you know the quality is there. Recovery can be dangerous enough without having to worry about sub par equipment.

Thanks. I was thinking both would most likely be the best to have.

^^ exactly what he said. That has the added bonus of being able to buy it locally. Cruiser Outfitters is a Vendor on here and has a shop in Sandy. They can get you hooked up

Awesome. I will hit them up tomorrow. The ARB Snatch Strap from them doesn't appear to be as expensive as I thought it would be.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have never used a snatch strap, so I can't speak fro them, they look cool. As far as static straps are concerned. I have had a bunch of different brands and they all worked the same. I think the best part of the ARB strap is the longevity. Like all things ARB they are super high quality. A cheap strap will still get you out of a stuck, maybe not as stylish or for as many years as ARB. Buy the ARB if you can afford it. If not, by a cheap one and go get stuck :)

X2 on no metal hooks. Most of my pullouts in my life was with a chain when I was in high school. I was scared every time :-0

gatchmo5710

I have that same smitty built snatch strap and love it. Used if plenty of times on mid sized vehicles and smaller with no issues. Been about 7 years and its just starting to show its wear. The outer protective wrap has torn/worn through and I think I will purchase the same one again. Ive been with others who have the ARB model and they do seem nicer, but this one works for 1/3 the price.

I carry both static and dynamic straps, along with tree saver straps. Id recommend the same.

NYCEGUY01

Speed Strap. Hands down.
Super easy to use and can be any length you need.
No hooks, shackles, d-rings etc..

You just wrap it around the tube or hook or whatever and then it weaves back and fourth on itself to fasten it

Youd want the 2" version for a truck...

strap.jpg