Recovery Help Solicited

Margarita

There is a report on the Division of Wildlife Resource's website that the recovery was successful. I am looking forward to a detailed report.

Bart

It was a blast, but like all recoveries, took longer than expected. It snowed the whole time, and at times was a white out. The recovery was truly a group effort. It was great meeting Chuck (Driller) from RME. He's a great guy and has an awesome YJ.

Stacey got some pics but is not on the forum. I hope the pics make it over. My wife was not thrilled that I got off a plane from Charleston SC 4 hours before loading up the TJ and heading off on this adventure.

I still am amazed he was able to get as far as he did in the rain. Those roads were slimey.

It was easy to get him off the tree, we just pushed and the truck slid sideways. There was no way to get past him the way he was stuck. The hardest part was getting Riley up about 500 feet out of the canyon he was stuck in. Brett winched him about 150 feet, and I winched him well over 200 feet. My alternator didn't like the last 50' but hung in there.

Once we were at the top of that canyon, Brett was able to strap him out the rest of the way. As much as I hate to say it, the Freakshow shined. He had the power and weight and to make the difference.

Riley, Dustin and Stacey were awesome too, and knew they were in way over their heads on this one.

It was a good time with a good ending. Glad we got him out. He was seriously thinking about leaving it there for the winter, even after I told him the story about the XJ above Bountiful.

reddevil

'93 Cherokee
I thought of you as I headed home to Springville at 6 last night and saw the storm that seemed to be centered over SF canyon. Wished I was there. Good work to the RME minute men!

Hard to add to what Bart said, other than Bart's teej and Chuck's YJ with waggy axles kicked arse and both those guys worked their butts off. It was a total group effort.

Contrary to what Riley said (though I can understand his perspective) just about any of you guys would have been an asset on that recovery, though with the nature of the trail and the hill, any more rigs would have turned it into a cluster muck, if you know what I mean.

Glad we got him out. He was nervous but stepped up and actually drove quite well. I've added my narrative that I posted to jeep-slc.

Thanks all!

They took some pics but haven't emailed them to me yet. I don't know if they will turn out.

I hit the sack at 2:12am. The scrambler is still sitting out on the trailer, caked with mud and crud.

That was a nasty freakin' hill. Bart and Chuck rule! Bart's winch rules! Super swamper SX's rule!

I tried to pull him up the hill, and got stuck. We had to back down and I got up to where I could winch him (strapped to a tree). We had to do a compound pull to get him around some trees, with Bart rigging the snatch block to different trees (winch in, spool out, reconnect, winch again). Once I got him up to me, Bart tied off at the top of the hill and we hooked all the straps together (3-4?) and then Bart pulled him up one strap length at a time. Meanwhile, I had to winch myself around (since I was hanging from a tree on a hill you could barely stand up on). I thought we were gonna have to winch Chuck up the hill too, but he aired down his KO's and made it up. Without his 2 straps (and efforts) we'd have been screwed. Bart's teej did an awesome job, very nicely built rig that he could just drive up there, kick ass, and then drive home. Chuck's worked great too...he just finished it and was heading to the snakes before he found out about the recovery.

We hooked up again at the top to pull him, what a wild freakin' ride. Ruts are your friend! Bart went up ahead to tell me what to expect, and Chuck stayed behind to help pull him back out if he got screwed up. There were still quite a few hills, one of them pretty nasty. Hammer down! After a while, the terrain mellowed and we unhooked. A few minutes later, he was stuck, and Chuck couldn't pull him. So we hooked up again and strapped him the rest of the way. Did I mention that SX's kick ass? Rutty, gloppy, sloppy snow covered deep snot clay mud.

Thanks Bart for letting Matt sleep in your reclined passenger seat!

Brett

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I just read the entire thread on the DWR site. You guys did a great job. I just wish I could have been there. I have several rigs that could have helped out. When we went hunting in that kind of stuff we used a set of oversized chains on all four wheels and could go all over the place. The chains were diesel truck chains resized to fit our old truck. I still have them in the garage for just such an ocassion. The truck drove like a tank when they were on. I need to see if those chains would fit my jeep, I'd love to see how four chains and front and rear lockers would do in the mud.

I just read the entire thread on the DWR site. You guys did a great job. I just wish I could have been there. I have several rigs that could have helped out. When we went hunting in that kind of stuff we used a set of oversized chains on all four wheels and could go all over the place. The chains were diesel truck chains resized to fit our old truck. I still have them in the garage for just such an ocassion. The truck drove like a tank when they were on. I need to see if those chains would fit my jeep, I'd love to see how four chains and front and rear lockers would do in the mud.

Chains kick arse in that kind of mud, and like the guy said at the dwr site, Riley probably could have driven out if he'd have had chains. In fact, I had a pair for 31's that I was going to take with me but forgot to put in. Had I remembered, we'd have chained up his front end, and I'm confident that he could have driven out on his own.

Riley sent me some pics...I'm gonna try and post them.

Attachments

• IMG_3156.JPG
    IMG_3156.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3157.JPG
    IMG_3157.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3155.JPG
    IMG_3155.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3158.JPG
    IMG_3158.JPG