Recovery Kit - Thoughts on this one?

plaidfro

I am looking to get some items for a recovery kit. Amazon sells this Rugged Ridge 15104.27 Recovery Kit shipped free for $76.17, which is probably not the greatest quality... BUT for a starter kit to use and to learn how to do recoveries properly it should be OK, right? I plan on buying only an additional D-shackle with this kit. Unless someone can show me a similar priced set up with better components I think this is the one I will end up with. There is a Promark and Smittybilt kit for $99 that have similar components.

Anyways... your thoughts?

THSDragoon

I have a new Trooper :D
i know i dont know very much about wheeling, but i would recommend that you go to places like home depot, walmart, harbor fright, etc., and just build up a custom kit of your own. just my opinion.

Will

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
What type of vehicle do you drive?

Recovery gear is one area to not skimp, as most if not all recoveries are dangerous even for those with experience.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92109_2220.htm

is what I found searching on your description... it almost seems more targeted to the ATV crowd. The tow strap is listed as Premium 1” x 15’ 10,000lb Recovery Strap. If you don't have a winch the tree saver and snatch block pulley aren't going to be much help.

I'm a little skeptical about the 1" x 15' 10,000lb rating I see this http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/KEE0/02923.oap?keyword=tow+rope!s!strap and it's a 2" with a 10,000 rating.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92109_2220.htm

is what I found searching on your description... it almost seems more targeted to the ATV crowd. The tow strap is listed as Premium 1” x 15’ 10,000lb Recovery Strap. If you don't have a winch the tree saver and snatch block pulley aren't going to be much help. I'm a little skeptical about the 1" x 15' 10,000lb rating I see this

I don't think it's an ATV targeted kit, as that snatch block is rated for 20k. What it is, is a sketchy cheapo kit that is liable to cause injury and/or death. "Premium 1” x 15’ 10,000lb Recovery Strap" seems like an oxymoron to me.

I'd be concerned about anyone who markets a "Recovery Tow Strap".. What is it, a "tow strap" or a "recovery strap"? I say this because there is a big difference between a strap for towing, and a strap that should be used for 'recoveries'. For recovery use you want to find a strechable strap, so that the elasticity actually aides in the recovery process. A true "tow strap" will not have elasticity, as it is for just towing a vehicle. The elastic type straps are commonly reffered to as 'snatch straps'. I would feel 100% more confident in a strap that knows it's purpose from the manufacturer. Buy quality products for recovery, end of story. Granted, this particular strap does claim a "stretch and recoil action", but that sounds phony to me. I would run from that there strap.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I will take your advice and just do it right the first time. Maybe I will hit the cruiser shack in Sandy when they have an annual blow-out special on recovery kits. :D

There may be some discounted from the Smokin' Red Hot FIRE SALE that Cruiser Outfitters had a few months back. This would be some that are 100% working condition, new in the packaging, but the packaging and possibly the visible material has some minor soot or something. It's worth calling to see anyways.

I am a good candidate to stand a on a soap box and tell you to avoid my mistakes.. Buy Scepters rather than retired Swiss NATO cans regardless of how many Swiss cans you can get for the price of one Scepter. Unless you like paint flecks in your engine... :-\ Spend your money on good tires to begin with, just so that you spare yourself from the headaches that may come from retreads. Unless you like your tires cracking at 1,000 miles. :sick: I'm not sold on Swiss cans or retread tires.. Just do it right the first time.

plaidfro

There may be some discounted from the Smokin' Red Hot FIRE SALE that Cruiser Outfitters had a few months back. This would be some that are 100% working condition, new in the packaging, but the packaging and possibly the visible material has some minor soot or something. It's worth calling to see anyways.

I will call an ask... actually I will be near the Sandy area tomorrow morning... it may be a good time for me to stop in.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I will call an ask... actually I will be near the Sandy area tomorrow morning... it may be a good time for me to stop in.

Good man, tell Kurt that I twisted your arm and told you a sob story about retreads and Swiss NATO cans.. :rofl: Make sure to call him before swinging by too. 801-518-3937

Toad

Also make sure that you strap has eyelets and not hooks on the end. You count on this gear to save your bacon. Make sure you get quality stuff.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
^ A very good point. You DO NOT want the weakest link in your recovery gear to be a metal component. It is perfectly OK to up-size the D-rings, but do not up-size snatch straps; as the snatch straps are specifically engineered to give @ a certain amount of weight. If you're using a 35k lb strap for your YJ, it will not have the elasticity needed to stretch and rebound. It would be stiff and not yield any elasticity. Make sense?

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
definetly do not skip on the recovery gear! before you "need" to use it make sure you know how to use all your gear for a safe and effective recovery

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Good man, tell Kurt that I twisted your arm and told you a sob story about retreads and Swiss NATO cans.. :rofl: Make sure to call him before swinging by too. 801-518-3937

No insulting the NATO cans.... all of the rest of what SAMI is spouting is good info :)

Septers are better than NATO.. but a resealed NATO can works great too (you just can't forget the resealing it part) :p