Recovery rig thoughts

LT.

Here are a few pictures for y'alls viewing enjoyment. For some reason I cannot get the pictures of the bed to really shine like it does in person.2012-09-09_10-46-58_444.jpg2012-09-09_10-47-20_773.jpg In this picture you can see where we pulled the bed back some. This was to create more room for the rear tires.2012-09-09_10-47-33_690.jpg

2012-09-14_14-10-20_207.jpg2012-09-14_14-20-19_562.jpg2012-09-14_14-20-28_812.jpg These are the pictures of the rear gears and the rear locker. This means I can now check one more thing off the list. Checking things off the list is important as it gives me a feeling of accomplishment and it means the truck is just that much closer to being done. I am sure Cheston's wife will be relieved when I pick my junk up. Lol.

LT.

Attachments

• 2012-09-089512.27.41.jpg
    2012-09-089512.27.41.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 28
  • 2012-09-089513.13.21.jpg
    2012-09-089513.13.21.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 40

LT.

Here is the original list as well as the completions all done in red.

1. Dana 60 front axle with 5.13 gears and a Detroit. (This is done except I went with 4.88 gears.)
2. 14 Bolt FF with 5.13 gears and a spool. (The rear axle is under the truck but, I ended up going with the 4.88 gears and a rear Grizzly locker.)
3. NP-203/205 doubler again from Off Road Design. (Still waiting on this one. It may not happen right away anyways.)
4. New clutch. (Done, Thanks to Cheston.)
5. Rebuilt motor. If anyone knows of a big block Dodge please let me know. (Done, even better than expected again thanks to Cheston.)
6. 17" bead locks. (Skipped the bead locks and went with some old school wagon wheel designed 17's.)
7. Radial tires in the neighborhood of 37" to 40". (Done. Went with 40" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's.)
8. Big winch on the front and maybe even one off of the rear. 12,000+ (Done. 16.5 Warn winch for the front.)
9. Pre runner styled bumpers front and rear with a full sized spare tire in the bed. (Being worked on after Cheston gets back from Idaho Top Truck.)
10. New exhaust. I don't have a reason for liking to work on exhaust so much but, it is important to me to have a great sounding/working exhaust system. (Also waiting for Cheston to get back from Idaho Top Truck.)
11. Replace the wood on the bed floor. (DONE again all thanks to Cheston.)
12. If time allows I would like to address some smaller issues. Electrical, interior, and the bed. (A lot of the smaller issues have been addressed along the way. Again, all thanks to Cheston.)

Other things can be bought as money allows. I have decided on not cutting up the truck. I really don't want to hack up classic sheet metal. This is one of the reasons I bought this truck. Classic, good looking, solid, and a little stylish (at least in my opinion). Another problem for any Dodge or Chevy is the wheel well size on the front. I may try and shift the front axle forward an inch or inch and a half to try and keep the tires out of the fender at full compression especially while turning. As a rule I would also like to address smaller issues as I work on it. Say, the front shackles and maybe even the rear shackles. Perhaps grease-able bolts and bushings as I do the suspension. (All of this has been addressed already as well. I bought all new hangers front and rear. All new springs, and I even moved the axles around to make the tires fit.)

LT.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The truck is looking good LT, I think that wood kit was a good choice... it really tops off the bed and looks like it was done right!

LT.

The truck is looking good LT, I think that wood kit was a good choice... it really tops off the bed and looks like it was done right!

Thank you! But, all the praise needs to go to Cheston. Cheston is a trim carpenter by trade and it was kind of funny that I had a trim carpenter job for him on a truck. He did an outstanding job on it. I can't thank him enough for all his fantastic work.

LT.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Its funny how one small problem slows this whole build down.

I was cutting out brackets for the bed mounting about a month ago and my NEW plasma cutter blew up. Send it back for warranty. Got it back last week and it still isnt working right. Thats what I get for buying Chinese junk I guess.

Anyhow.......I got the brackets cut out so the bed is all but mounted now. I think it should be a good solid design compared to factory wood mounting blocks. It will now be mounted with some fancy Summit Machine bushings.

I sure cant wait to bend some tube for this!

And thanks for the compliments!

LT.

You have earned all the praises! To tell you the truth I am excited to see you bend up some tube as well. I figure that with the tube bumpers and spare tire carrier it will help tie this whole build together. I am still looking for some deals on some old school KC lights. I can't decide if I should get black housings or go with the chrome ones. Chrome was all the rage when this truck would have been in its prime but, black is a little more modern and more my style. And yes, I am pretty stuck on the old school KC lights. I think they would help tie in the build a little bit more. Say, four mounted on the front bumper somewhere? What do y'all think?

LT.

kawzx10

The dodge is looking good. I always wanted a step side. I seen Chestons scout on i15(Cheston that was me and my dad waving to you in the silver silverado) that thing is huge. It really put the size of your dodge into perspective.

LT.

The dodge is looking good. I always wanted a step side. I seen Chestons scout on i15(Cheston that was me and my dad waving to you in the silver silverado) that thing is huge. It really put the size of your dodge into perspective.

Christine did come out a little on the tall side. But, I had made a gentleman's agreement with the original owner that I would not cut the truck up. After I had found a good deal on the tires, from a member on this forum, I was kind of stuck. I think it will turn out okay still but, she is a little long legged for sure.

Wow it's looking great. Nice job.

All the praise needs to go to Cheston and his brother Mitch. He and his brother Mitch have worked tirelessly on my junk and made it into what it is.

Time for another update and a question or two. The shocks should be shipping out on Friday this week! This will be another huge hurdle covered as soon as they get there. Cheston has been waiting for quite a while for them and unless something goes wrong the shocks should be to him sometime next week. Whew.

Now, for some small detail questions for the RME faithful. I am looking into some differential covers. I have narrowed the search down to three different companies and I have ordered from all three in the past. But, I don't know which ones to go with. I am open to opinions but, I am pretty set one going with just one company for all my parts. Which one would y'all choose? Blue Torch Fab found here. http://www.bluetorchfab.com/Category/34/Kryptonite-Diff-Covers.aspx Ruff Stuff Specialties found here. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/diffcovers.html Or DIY4X found here. http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=18

I want the diff covers front and rear and a pinion guard for the rear axle. All three offer what I want and the parts are made from the same material but, I want the best parts. Any advise would be greatly appreciated and as always, thank you in advance.

LT.

Last edited:

LT.

Small update time. According to the UPS tracking numbers the shocks for Christine should be showing up today! This is another huge hurdle covered as Cheston was starting to run out of stuff to do with out them. I can't wait to see them for myself.

LT.

LT.

I got some more parts ordered yesterday. I ordered: the master install kit for the rear axle, crush sleeve eliminator, new front yoke for a 1350 joint, front diff cover, front ram assist mount, rear diff cover, and a rear pinion guard. I still need the ram assist, lines, pump, resivor, and the rest of the kit. A new beefier tie rod will also ne in place.

LT.

LT.

Sounds like you're getting close to having the truck ready?

It is coming along nicely. ChestonScout has his work cut out for him for a while. Poor guy, I think he is starting to feel a little overwhelmed with all the parts. Overtime here is starting to slow down so, parts will be tougher to get for awhile. I am hoping that I have enough waiting for him that I can now just send him some money.

LT.

LT.

Randy's ring and pinion delivered on tuesday. Now i am just waiting for DIY4X to deliver. When that happens i will fly up to Cheston's and drop off the goods. I was hoping it would happen this week so i could take them up the first part of next week but, we will havr to wait and see.
LT.