Recovery rig thoughts

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
I think that the first aid kit is a must. And I am glad you thought of it because I had not given that any thought. Aux lights is also doable as well as the straps, chains, tree savers, gloves, warm weather gear, shovels, ax, and assorted tools. Why the boat anchor? It is like a poor mans pull pal? Front and rear winches may be out of my budget as well as the on board air and multiple air outlets.:(

LT.

yea, its pretty much poor mans pal. medical is prob the most important thing any rig can have, along with a fire extinguisher. the multiple air chucks is easily substituted by air line on a reel in the back of the truck with a decent size tank and compressor.

LT.

Well, I picked up the truck today. I had not seen it other than a few cell phone pictures before and there are a few things that puzzled me. The body is almost rust free. A spot on the front fenders behind the wheel wells and also a spot all along the tail gate but, other than that it is a solid truck. Now for the puzzling part. Both floor boards are rotten all the way through. There is a big enough hole to put your foot through. The holes are on either side of the seat on the passangers side and the drivers side. This is leading me to believe that the windows do not seal well and moisture was sitting on the floor. Now for the good parts. The tranny is a 4 speed manual. T-case is a NP-203 and it is in good working order. I have enjoyed my doubler on the Beater so I think that is exactly what this rig will get as well.

Now, I need a break on the motor. It is locked up and I am hoping that it is just a spun bearing. I talked to the old owner and he said he parked it where it was when I bought it. He also told me that it smoked a bit at that time. I am crossing my fingers because finding another 400 big block will be a little tough to find. I think I will have the motor pulled in a few weeks and I will find out then.

After listening to the great RME faithful I have decided to run the 14 bolt I have for the rear and will most likely end up with a Dana 60 for the front. I think it will only sit on some 37" tires to keep it reasonable and durable.

I should have thought to take some pictures but, I suppose most folks know what a 1977 Dodge step side looks like.

LT.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I would bet that there are a good number of RME users who have never seen a '77 step side before. :D Post the pics. :D

Speaking of stepsides, driving home tonight I saw a Chevy stepside for sale up the street. I have no rational reason for wanting a shortbed, regular cab truck, but something about it spoke to me. :D My uncle had one of the more-rare longbed stepsides as a plow truck many moons ago. There is something about the stepsides.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
ok I will bring up the winches... if you only have one I would mount it to a 2 inch receiver hitch with a plate and then wire it so that you can move it from front to rear bumper... this will allow you to keep some good approach and departure angles and when you get to a point where you need the winch you just pull it out of the bed and hook it up then use it and then put it away... Helps with theft as well! I have a ramsey re12000 that only pulls at 6 ft per min but I have used it on my expedition to pull semi trucks out of snow banks back when I lived in wyoming... Great winch and best of all I got it for free... but the new warns 16500 or even the big sucker 25000 would be more then you will ever need... if you can afford them!

thenag

On my bronco I had a 12,500lb Pierce winch. It was worm gear, slow as hell but pulled hard. It was designed to be on a wrecker and to be used every day. I bought a receiver mount for it and then added a second mount. I tucked it up so high that it did not really affect approach angle, the front leaf mounts were right there too.

I could move it to the rear. I also had a 25ft extension cable rather than running big ass wires to the rear. This would allow you to put the winch in someone elses receiver so long as you were 25ft away. (you could hook it to jumper cables too but that just seems bad to hook a winch to jumper cables)

The winch was awesome for the bronco, big american, heavy, leaked oil and tough as hell. just like the EFI460/np435/203/205/d-60/gm 14bolt

I wanted it to be mounted on the truck rather than in the cargo area so I wouldn't give up the cargo/passenger space. (in Badgers old xj the entire back was filled with his winch) Also this thing was over 100lbs so not something you can easily sling around.

as a note I never once winched from the rear or another vehicle.

this pic you can see the blue electrical connector and it mounted.
DSCN4857.JPG

here is a shot of the cross member that was in the frame. this winch and cross member will get incorporated into my f250 bumper, in the f250 the winch will be stored in the bed/garage.
DSCN4933.JPG

one of my receiver pins had a lock on it.

nathan
--99 xj
build thread
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=83436

LT.

I would bet that there are a good number of RME users who have never seen a '77 step side before. :D Post the pics. :D

Speaking of stepsides, driving home tonight I saw a Chevy stepside for sale up the street. I have no rational reason for wanting a shortbed, regular cab truck, but something about it spoke to me. :D My uncle had one of the more-rare longbed stepsides as a plow truck many moons ago. There is something about the stepsides.

Next time I am up there I will snap a few pictures and post them up. They just closed the road again to the shop so it will have to wait until LLE opens it back up. Bad fires here in New Mexico caused the shut down.

LT.

LT.

ok I will bring up the winches... if you only have one I would mount it to a 2 inch receiver hitch with a plate and then wire it so that you can move it from front to rear bumper... this will allow you to keep some good approach and departure angles and when you get to a point where you need the winch you just pull it out of the bed and hook it up then use it and then put it away... Helps with theft as well! I have a ramsey re12000 that only pulls at 6 ft per min but I have used it on my expedition to pull semi trucks out of snow banks back when I lived in wyoming... Great winch and best of all I got it for free... but the new warns 16500 or even the big sucker 25000 would be more then you will ever need... if you can afford them!

I have given this some thought as well. And as of now I am undecided what to do or how to do it. I was thinking of at least a 12,000 Warn and if it is that big then I can't imagine using it as a multi mount. Too heavy to be lugging around the truck. If I were to use a 9,500 lb or less then I could see using it as a multi mount. I have also thought about the rope that I would use. Maybe a 12,000 could be used as a multi mount if the wire rope was replaced with a synthetic line (lighter weight overall). I had a 16.5 ti that was 140 lbs all by itself. It was a medical condition waiting to happen if you ever had to move it.

LT.

LT.

I could move it to the rear. I also had a 25ft extension cable rather than running big ass wires to the rear. This would allow you to put the winch in someone elses receiver so long as you were 25ft away. (you could hook it to jumper cables too but that just seems bad to hook a winch to jumper cables)

I wanted it to be mounted on the truck rather than in the cargo area so I wouldn't give up the cargo/passenger space. (in Badgers old xj the entire back was filled with his winch) Also this thing was over 100lbs so not something you can easily sling around.

I like the idea of using an extension cable as well. Good thinking. I have wondered about how to secure the winch if used as a multi mount. You don't want that sucker just free in the cargo area either. Maybe a simple receiver tube in the cargo area would suffice. But, then you still have to get into the cargo area, retrieve the winch, and mount it where it is needed. I am not sure I like the idea of moving something that heavy. Not sure what to do here.

LT.

thenag

I like the idea of using an extension cable as well. Good thinking. I have wondered about how to secure the winch if used as a multi mount. You don't want that sucker just free in the cargo area either. Maybe a simple receiver tube in the cargo area would suffice. But, then you still have to get into the cargo area, retrieve the winch, and mount it where it is needed. I am not sure I like the idea of moving something that heavy. Not sure what to do here.

LT.

That is exactly why I did mine that way. It was up front out of the way, it could be moved to the rear or another vehicle if needed but almost all of your winching is going to be from the front. I used rope instead of wire for weight.

I also did 2 receivers, I didn't want to do a 12,000lb pull on one receiver pin. Especially with any kind of side load.

You could also do a smaller 9000lb winch in rear bumper. having front and rear on a recovery vehicle could actually be useful. We had to winch a guy out of hells revenge with broken suspension mounts. They winched the guy down all the long down hills and ran out of cable on the one vehicle so they actually had a vehicle at the top of the hill with the winch spooled out, a vehicle in the middle of the hill with the winch spooled out lowering the un-powered vehicle down the trail.

If you have the money and don't mind the extra weight stick a 16.5 up front and a little guy out back, 9000lbs or so.

Nathan

LT.

Here are some pictures of the old girl. Hope you enjoy.

LT.

Attachments

• 2011-07-12_15-54-47_7.jpg
    2011-07-12_15-54-47_7.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 2011-07-12_15-53-36_967.jpg
    2011-07-12_15-53-36_967.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2011-07-12_15-54-00_186.jpg
    2011-07-12_15-54-00_186.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 2011-07-12_15-54-20_15.jpg
    2011-07-12_15-54-20_15.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 2011-07-12_15-54-33_331.jpg
    2011-07-12_15-54-33_331.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 52

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Actually i have never seen a dodge step side, looks a little weird but good. So i was thinking that if it were me id want a 4BTA diesel in that truck for good fuel eco. and pulling power but thats just me

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I don't think I'd even paint that thing. That'd be sweet how it is. It needs some 35-37" tires. :D Those look like the 5 on 4.5" axles, though. I don't think I'd run over a 32" on the front one?

attachment.php

thenag

That is a cool looking old truck, it looks like New Mexico plate on it which if it has always been there it should have virtually no rust.

I remember living in New Mexico... actually being able to get your u-bolts off with a wrench and not a cutting tool...

nathan

Bart

Looks to be in decent shape, but you can bet there is more rust than is meeting the eye. As for the floor boards, check under the hood in the back corners. If it was parked under a tree it could have filled the drains with leaves and it could have overflowed into the cab. OR, it might have a leaking windshield gasket.

Going to be cool.

oxbronco

Have you thought about running a 440? It will bolt up right in place of the 400. I have a '76 that use to have a 400 in it. 440 was the best upgrade Ive done.

LT.

Actually i have never seen a dodge step side, looks a little weird but good. So i was thinking that if it were me id want a 4BTA diesel in that truck for good fuel eco. and pulling power but thats just me

I really had not given any thought to running a Diesel motor. That maybe something I need to look into.

LT.

LT.

I don't think I'd even paint that thing. That'd be sweet how it is. It needs some 35-37" tires. :D Those look like the 5 on 4.5" axles, though. I don't think I'd run over a 32" on the front one?

Right again. The older Dodges ran a very small bolt pattern on their axles for some reason. I have a 14 bolt full floater sitting at the shop. I think I even have most of the money saved for the front Dana 60 that I want to run. I hope to have the axles swapped in soon. Maybe in a month or two.

LT.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I really had not given any thought to running a Diesel motor. That maybe something I need to look into.

LT.

As you know, a first gen Cummins will be VERY similar frame wise if not exactly the same. An early intercooled 6BT would be pretty peppy in there and would make it quite the recovery vehicle. You could swap the whole running gear from the donor truck into there. Axles, trans/case/motor, interior and all.

Here's an excellent candidate. :D

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=4387802

Last edited:

LT.

That is a cool looking old truck, it looks like New Mexico plate on it which if it has always been there it should have virtually no rust.

I remember living in New Mexico... actually being able to get your u-bolts off with a wrench and not a cutting tool...

nathan

Yep, I live here in the land of entrapment. The truck should come apart without too much drama, I hope. In the desert of the southwest cars are fairly rust free.

Looks to be in decent shape, but you can bet there is more rust than is meeting the eye. As for the floor boards, check under the hood in the back corners. If it was parked under a tree it could have filled the drains with leaves and it could have overflowed into the cab. OR, it might have a leaking windshield gasket.

Going to be cool.

So far the only rust I have found is on the front fenders behind the front tires and the floor boards between the edge of the seat and the door. Even the rocker panels are solid and looks to be OEM equipment. I am guessing that the door seals or the window seals are not doing their jobs well. I suspect that the water entered through one of the seals and just sat there. It is the lowest part of the floor and with the stock jute and carpet I think it sat long enough to rot out the floors.

Have you thought about running a 440? It will bolt up right in place of the 400. I have a '76 that use to have a 400 in it. 440 was the best upgrade Ive done.

I actually used to own two 440's. I was going to swap one into the Beater but, decided that it was going to be too much hassle to change from a small block to a big block. I feel really stupid now that I sold both of them. Oh well, hind sight is always 20/20. I am now looking for another big block or raised block Dodge motor. If y'all come across one please let me know. Thanks.

LT.

thenag

Yep, I live here in the land of entrapment.

LT.

I should have noticed Los Alamos by your name on the post.

Is the NMVJC still around, those guys always had so many wheeling trips going on. I remember one three day weekend I wheeled with 3 different groups on 3 different trails in 3 days. (I think it is dead they haven't updated their site in a while. funny thing is there are 2 pics of my now gone bronco on this scrolling pic thingy http://nmvjc.org/about.htm)

I was raised in Abq NM moved to Salt Lake in 2005. I have been in Utah long enough that I am not used to seeing hippies anymore, when I see a hippie I am like "really" then I realize that Utah doesn't have many hippies. Not saying hippies are bad or good just something you don't see much of in Utah.

I miss the cover band Vanilla Pop, they are from Taos but play all over NM.
http://vanillapop.com/

-Nathan