Gear / Accessories Refreshing an old Warn M8000 for reliable use

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I picked up a very used, older Warn M8000 about a year ago and mounted it on my '48 CJ2a. When I bought it, the PO promised that it worked great. Once home and hooked up, it just clicks when you try to use it. I believe it needs new solenoids, the box for the solenoids is broken and the cable has seen better days. I picked up 4 new solenoids, with a new box cover and mounting plate. I also have a used MasterPull synthetic winch rope laying around that I want to add just for ease of handling. I'm hoping the motor and winding are good to go, but haven't dug into them.

Anyone rebuild or refreshed an old winch? Anything else I should look at? I really want to get this this winch working properly before EJS, so I have some work to do.

20180417_191254-L.jpg

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I've gone through a fair number of older winches, and in my experience, if the solenoid is clicking, it's working. Put a meter or a test light on it, and you can easily know for sure.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Open it up and check the motor brushes, I've had them fail on a couple of winches. If they're bad, just take them to a starter rebuild shop and they can match them up for dirt cheap. It's also the perfect time to go through the gearbox for cleaning and fresh grease. Every one I've ever pulled apart has some water damage in there.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've gone through a fair number of older winches, and in my experience, if the solenoid is clicking, it's working. Put a meter or a test light on it, and you can easily know for sure.

Good call, I figured one or 2 out of the 4 could be shot and I don't remember if it clicked when taking cable out or in.

Open it up and check the motor brushes, I've had them fail on a couple of winches. If they're bad, just take them to a starter rebuild shop and they can match them up for dirt cheap. It's also the perfect time to go through the gearbox for cleaning and fresh grease. Every one I've ever pulled apart has some water damage in there.

Great idea on the brushes, BC! I'll check the gearbox and add grease as well, thanks!