regarding the mosquitoes in Moab

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Are they as bad as the news is claiming? We have been planning a trip for October but my wife is concerned about the baby getting bit or infected.

The_Lobbster

Camped right on the Colorado about two months ago at one of the BLM sites. Got absolutely raped by mosquitoes. Even with bug spray, it was insane from evening to dark, but once it was completely dark, they seemed to stop biting. Also hiked through Left hand fork canyon and got mauled there as well around evening, our group of 3 guys were literally sprinting the last 1/2 mile trying to get back to the car because they were so bad.

Trate D

Was there two weeks ago and stayed in cayonlands campground and I didn’t notice any. We walked to dinner a few times and had no issues then. They where however driving around Main Street spraying repellent out of the truck beds.

Gawynz

Asked a buddy who stayed down there last week riding The Whole Enchilada and doing some climbing, he said they didn't have any issues with mosquitoes. They did camp in the La Sal's though where it was pretty chilly.

shortstraw8

Been wondering about this also, we have a trip for first of Oct, hoping with it cooling down more during the night they will be gone by next week.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
It was earlier in the season but we camped on the white rim trail near the water. Just as the started to get dusky we got full on attacked by those flying bastards. It was the worst I have ever seen. We had to hide in the tents all evening.

Worse than that I had to pee in the middle of the night. I got out the tent and zipped back up as fast as possible, peed with great force as not to allow for any bites on the 3 piece set, and back in the tent. A few blood suckers got in so I spent the next 15 min killing them so we didn’t wake up a bumpy mess.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
It was earlier in the season but we camped on the white rim trail near the water. Just as the started to get dusky we got full on attacked by those flying bastards. It was the worst I have ever seen. We had to hide in the tents all evening.

Worse than that I had to pee in the middle of the night. I got out the tent and zipped back up as fast as possible, peed with great force as not to allow for any bites on the 3 piece set, and back in the tent. A few blood suckers got in so I spent the next 15 min killing them so we didn’t wake up a bumpy mess.

You can pick up an old Nalgene bottle or similar at the DI for a few dollars to use as a pee bottle so you never have to get out of the tent during the night.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My father had a really weak bladder...got up multiple times in the night to pee. That is one trait I'm thankful I didn't inherit.

rholbrook

My prostate is bigger than my bladder.
I was told a few months ago I have a prostate of a 75 yr old. They thought I had cancer but with every test I am good for now. They gave me some medicine to TRY but I will never be able to peel the bark off of a tree with pressure. I try to stop drinking before 6 pm so I dont have to get up several times a night to pee because with prostate issues comes not being able to empty your bladder. Sucks