Registering salvage title vehicle

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I bought a salvage jeep from a friend that had it totaled through insurance. I figure somebody here has done this so I thought I would ask the RME crowd.

What is the process for inspection? Do I have an officer look at it or just go get it safety inspected?

It has dents, but the lights and all that work. Do dents make it not pass? I have never done anything like this. :)

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I haven't done it, but I believe it just has to pass regular safety (and emissions). No frame cracks or nothin like that.

I know that salvage-titled vehicles (and 10,000+ lb commercial vehicles) are the exemption to the new bill that eliminated the required state safety inspections. But I don't believe salvage titled vehicles are held to any different inspection standard than what other vehicles were held to; prior to the elimination of safety inspections.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I registered one a few years back. At the time, the only difference was no odometer statement required. Still needed safety and emissions

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Can I get safety and emissions done at a regular shop or is there a special procedure?

SnwMnkys

I just rebuilt and registered a JK in July. I needed a windshield, and a few other parts I was waiting on before it would pass safety. Went to motor vehicle registration, paid my taxes (may or may not of left off a number on the amount paid ;)) and asked for a temp permit. Fixed what needed to be fixed, then had the regular safety & emissions inspection performed and picked up my plates.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Since I wasn’t clear. The vehicle has not been titled yet since it got totaled. It is not a salvage vehicle yet. I am hoping to get a branded title for it.

Looks like I still just go get the inspections done. I just thought I would clarify.

I have had a bunch of salvage vehicles, but I bought them that way. I wasn’t trying to get them re registered.

Thanks for all the help!

Caleb

Why do you want a branded title?

This. I don't remember the details but if it's never been titled/registered as branded title, I believe there is a way to get it "unbranded". Once it's branded and registered as such, there's no turning back. Getting it registered with a clean title will instantly net you money in your pocket (unless you over-paid, which I doubt).

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I bought a salvage jeep from a friend that had it totaled through insurance.

Okay.

The vehicle has not been titled yet since it got totaled. It is not a salvage vehicle yet.

Except, it already is. When an insurance company totals a vehicle, they have declared it a total loss. They have classified that it is damaged past the point of fiscally reasonable repair, they have written off its value (and paid their insured accordingly), and they have reported these facts to the state motor vehicle department. This classification--along with the date it was reported to the DMV--will then be linked to that VIN on that date, even before another title is issued (if one is issued at all).

Issuing a salvage title is not what makes a damaged vehicle a salvaged vehicle. An insurance company declaring the vehicle a total loss does that. Issuing a branded title is merely a reaction to the salvage process.

I don't remember the details but if it's never been titled/registered as branded title, I believe there is a way to get it "unbranded". Once it's branded and registered as such, there's no turning back.

There are some states in the Union that can 'launder' a title. They have a process wherein you start with a salvage/rebuilt/branded title, but after you jump through the proper hoops that state will issue a new 'clean' title. But even when that happens, any title search will quickly reveal the shenanigans (which is why we title check every vehicle during the appraisal process).

mesha

By endurance we conquer
It isn’t that I want branded title. It was wrecked and that is the proper title for it. I know how to register a clean vehicle. I didn’t know how to register a branded vehicle.

I misspoke when I said it didn’t have have a salvage title yet. Of course it does since it was totaled by insurance. I meant the title in my hand didn’t not show it and I wanted to go through whatever process so I had the right paper work to register it with a branded title.

I am not trying to hide anything or hack the system. I said those things because it is the first registration since the accident. I didn’t know if there was something special in the registration process of a vehicle on its way to getting registered as a salvage title. I have registered several vehicles that were salvage and had already been registered. I have never done one that I had to take through the initial process.

Sounds like I get it inspected anywhere and go to the dmv with the current title and they will take care of the rest.

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
It isn’t that I want branded title. It was wrecked and that is the proper title for it. I know how to register a clean vehicle. I didn’t know how to register a branded vehicle.

I misspoke when I said it didn’t have have a salvage title yet. Of course it does since it was totaled by insurance. I meant the title in my hand didn’t not show it and I wanted to go through whatever process so I had the right paper work to register it with a branded title.

I am not trying to hide anything or hack the system. I said those things because it is the first registration since the accident. I didn’t know if there was something special in the registration process of a vehicle on its way to getting registered as a salvage title. I have registered several vehicles that were salvage and had already been registered. I have never done one that I had to take through the initial process.

Sounds like I get it inspected anywhere and go to the dmv with the current title and they will take care of the rest.

For me, the safety/IM inspection (yes, you need a safety inspection to register a rebuilt vehicle still) and actual registration process at the DMV had to be preceded by an inspection by an officer of the law. It consisted of a simple form the officer needed to fill out verifying that the vehicle was not rebuilt using stolen parts from what I could gather. I had the form downloaded and printed already, but I'd imagine the officer would have the form available as well. Just call the local dispatch, and the officer will come to you.

In short:

1 - Rebuild the vehicle
2 - Get the police inspection NOT REQUIRED ANYMORE
3 - Get the usual safety and emissions testing done
4 - Now you go to the DMV and apply for title and registration.

***EDIT***
I just called the DMV (I'm bored at work) and they said that the officer inspection is no longer required. As long as the vehicle has a Utah title or salvage cert., all you need is the typical safety and emissions inspections after repairs, then you can go to the DMV.

If the vehicle was from out-of-state, then the DMV said it will require form TC-656 as well as everything else the in-state vehicle would require.

Last edited:

Agility Customs

Vendor
I have done this a ton, Just get it inspected and registered like you would a normal vehicle if they need the VIN inspection form they will do right at the DMV while you wait.