Registration

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Now that I have finally finished my buggy and I am on the (current) last step. Registration :mad:. The first attempt at the DMV was extremely frustrating and made me want to throw one of the cheap ass chairs they have at manager lady. Long story short is they wanted to see every receipt for every single part I purchased to build it. That wasn't happening as a lot of the higher ticket items I bought with cash locally (KSL), via RME or from the Pirate4X4 classifieds. I came home completely defeated...

Fast forward a few months while I worked some bugs out on the car. I remembered I have a title that came with a parts CJ (1985, more on this later) that I used to start the buggy with. So, my thought now is to take the title of the CJ in with me and simply register it as an off highway vehicle. Does anyone see any issues doing it this way? I have the VIN tags from the CJ as well as the title.

As I started thinking about the CJ's title I have and the thought came into my head that it could possible be registered as a vintage vehicle. Since safety inspections are no longer required I would just need to pass emissions. I may not be able to pass emissions so this is just a hypothetical scenario. I would need to add blinkers and a horn (I already have brake lights) just to keep from getting pulled over. I would almost never ever drive it on the street but the chance that I drive from Hells Revenge to Moab Rim would make things a ton easier in Moab. Loading and trailering for that short of a drive sucks. I know this rarely happens and would be a once or twice a year options but cool none the less. Would going this route even be an option?

I have not thought the vintage tag thing through 100% and have done little to no research. Honestly the thought came into my head as I started writing this post. So, yeah... not a whole lot of thought. I just thought I would add it here as some of you may shoot it down very quick and end that thinking.

Thoughts?

Here is a pic of the car for reference.
IMG_6791.JPG

RogueJeepr

Here!
Vintage (cj7) would be the way to go. No inspections or emissions.
My 32 was $75 the first year and $10yr after that.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
I just registered my new buggy last summer with no receipt bs. Because it was a newly manufactured rig i had to have a officer come out and verify there was no vin# and sign off a paper stating that, then back to the dmv for the new vin, then the officer come back out and sign off that the new vin# is installed and correct, and then back to dmv for registration. I also had the turn in two pictures of the buggy. The part i screwed up with was telling them i built it that year so now i get to pay $70+ dollars a year to register my 2017 buggy. Tell them you built it in 2000 so you can pay the minimum $34ish a year if you go this route and not the cj route. $.02

AaronPaige

I will never register another buggy as new or custom either... the title says special custom but taxes are way more and I had to do all the sales tax b.s. too I would buy a p.o.s. Just for the title before doing all that again

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
An 1985 CJ is going to have to be equipped with cats and a smog pump, which is why my CJ was titled as an 80. If you go the title route, you'll want to go with something pre-1984.

Bart

I have been through both scenarios and I think you've got an uphill battle on your hands with the Vintage Plate route.

First about the OHV registration. Your CJ title will make that a LOT easier to get through that process. I took in my original XJ pics, title, and plate and used that for a basis to register the Lovell buggy. Utah County was crap to work with so I tried the Point of the Mountain, and OMG, it was great. No questions, in and out in 10 minutes.

As for registering the buggy as a vintage vehicle you will run into 2 problems. First if the CJ has not been registered for a year or two, you will need an inspection place or police officer to verify that it is that vehicle, and it has has all of the equipment for that vehicle, like BC said. That's part of the paperwork you take in for the plate. The second problem is if a law enforcement officer sees the plate on a buggy they will more than likely pull you over and can impound the buggy.

With all of that said, you can still drive an OHV licensed rig around Moab with a current tag and the necessary safety equipment, turn signals, brake lights, horn,....

Evolved

Less-Known Member
First about the OHV registration. Your CJ title will make that a LOT easier to get through that process. I took in my original XJ pics, title, and plate and used that for a basis to register the Lovell buggy. Utah County was crap to work with so I tried the Point of the Mountain, and OMG, it was great. No questions, in and out in 10 minutes.

I think this may be my best/easiest option for now. I want to be legal for our Moab trip next week. Maybe I’ll just get the ATV non-street registration and work on the actual street legal OHV stuff later. I still need to get my horn and turn signals worked out. I know it was really tough or impossible to go from OHV back to street registration years back. Is it the same going from non-street OHV to streetable OHV? I imagine with the new law going into effect recently that a ton of people that had SXS’s as regular OHV changed them over streetable OHV fairly easy?

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts and recommendations. I will let y’all know how the process goes.

Evolved

Less-Known Member

Bart

I don't think it will be tough to from OHV to OHV street legal. It is next to impossible to from OHV to regular street licensed.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I think when I did mine originally, it was an 89 XJ vin to which I turned in and got assigned a new custom v
I don't think it will be tough to from OHV to OHV street legal. It is next to impossible to from OHV to regular street licensed.

it's not, when I got a vin for my current buggy (2012ish) I registered OHV. Recently went fullsize OHV street legal. No real questions asked, it was very easy after getting the initial inspection done.

I did have to explain to the shop that there is such thing as fullsize OHV street legal as their inspection book was out of date. They pulled it up on the UHP website and away we went.

Coco

Been there, done that. Not a fun process. Mine was slightly easier once the ball finally got rolling (after about the 3rd time to the DMV) but mine was registered as a 2015 Toyota 4runner (as it was originally on a Toyota frame) kinda interesting but whateves.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Well... so far so good. Step 1 (OHV registration) registration is complete. It was super easy; walked in, took a number, waited 10 minutes, got my number called, told the lady I wanted to register my CJ as an OHV, she took title, took my money and handed me the registration. Way better than my first attempt at the DMV. I guess they give you a new title when changing from a street vehicle to an OHV. I assume this is why it is virtually impossibly to go from OHV to a streetable registration. Over the summer I will look to get it registered as a streetable OHV. I think it would be rad to take the kids to daycare in my buggy. Cheers!

DToy

I'm just about done with my buggy and needing to get it registered. I'm putting the necessary equipment on it (turn signals, horn, etc.) so that it can be registered as fullsize OHV street legal. Where have those of you that have done this taken yours for safety inspection? I'd like to take mine somewhere where I don't have to educate them on it. Also, is it going to be possible to get a safety inspection before I go to the DMV to get a new title/VIN tag? I'd like to avoid multiple DMV trips if I can help it.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I'm just about done with my buggy and needing to get it registered. I'm putting the necessary equipment on it (turn signals, horn, etc.) so that it can be registered as fullsize OHV street legal. Where have those of you that have done this taken yours for safety inspection? I'd like to take mine somewhere where I don't have to educate them on it. Also, is it going to be possible to get a safety inspection before I go to the DMV to get a new title/VIN tag? I'd like to avoid multiple DMV trips if I can help it.