Reloading...educate me a little

Caleb

I have a full setup to reload. I know nothing about it other than it's an RCBS setup. I need to pull it out and figure out what I have. What I do know if that I don't have the necessary dies to reload .223/5.56. So, I've been looking for dies, but I'm not sure what I need. I figured it'd be as easy as going and getting a .223 die, but I've looked at a couple different stores and there's several different types of dies so I'm not sure what I need.

So, tell me what I need...please. Do I need a casing resizer or is that something I'll likely already have if I should be setup to do other calibers (I'm 99% sure I could reload .357 if I wanted to for example). What other dies do I need? Neck resizer, shell holder? Etc? Last question, can you reload .223 and 5.56 with the same die sets or are there different sets for each of those?

Thanks

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The .223 dies come as a set. You should have a sizing die and seat die in the set you buy. Nothing wrong with sticking with RCBS. I'm far from a master, so I don't feel super qualified to give advice. I've reloaded 100 30-06 rounds now. My experience level is minimal

You'll need a new die for each caliber. It's not difficult to load, but extremely wise to follow your recipe to the letter. Small changes, check results (including looking carefully at your brass after being fired), adjust as necessary.

i had a tutor to show me how to match a load for my particular gun (had to reload five rounds per "step" and see which one my particular weapon grouped well with). Each caliber will have specs you need to follow. Different powders burn differently. Different grain/shape bullets fly differently with different powder charges. You want to match your powder/bullet/cartridge length/neck diameter/etc to what your weapon responds to. Learned a lot from my tutor, then learned quite a bit by reading my manuals, watching YouTube videos and reading forums. I still go back to my hands on tutor in my mind a lot.

im just getting setup to reload .223/5.56. I'm starting with a 69 grain bullet (Sierra) and will try my hand at matching a load to my AR-15. Curious what will work. In my experience shooting it, my AR-15 responds extremely well to some brands of ammo and I get a varying "group" with other loads.

like anything else, it seems consistency and small improvements will net you a quality load for your weapon

Last edited:

Caleb

Cool, so I decided to not be lazy and actually go see what I have been given :D So I was given an RCBS Master Reload Kit (it's pretty old, but never been used, it was my Dad's). It looks like it's comparable to their current Supreme Deluxe Reloading kit. So I think I should be pretty set and just need to get some .223 and 5.56 dies. I also found I have "3 die sets" for 9mm, .357, 30-30, .38, and .308 along with some rifle powder, pistol powder (didn't realize there was a difference :D), several packs of large rifle primers, even more packs of small pistol primers, and a bunch of casings for the above calibers. So, it looks like I need to figure out how and where to set it up and then start learning. :D

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Get a reloading manual and read up, I have been at it for a couple year, but like mbryson, I am no master, I use Ramshot powder, everyone uses their powder for some reason or other, Ramshot has their reloading guide online, Which I would imagine many do.
I'm new at reloading .223/5.56, but I have read you will need to check the overall length of the brass after shooting to make sure it is within spec. also, Remington has a crimp on the primers, which sucks to remove, then you need to swage or ream out the pocket a little to get the new primer in.
There is a ton of info out there.
Best of luck!

Caleb

Thanks, I actually was also given a couple different manuals. I went through your thread on utahfirearm.com on reloading and that atleast helped me understand the primary steps that are needed. I also found a step by step guide on ribs site which also helped me understand what's needed. I think once I have the dies I need, I'll do some more reading and then give it a shot.

SpeedyVic

Here is a good toot on how to load the .223 round. The guy that did this has almost the exact same setup as I have.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Reloading-223-ammo-for-an-AR15-or-other-rifle/

I just use mobil 1 oil for the case lube. Since my brass is used, I usually tumble it twice. Once before I do anything with it. The second time after I de-prime and size to help clean the lube off.

My brass tumbler is from harbor freight. It works very well and was cheap. Especially if you have a 20% off coupon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

Tumbling media is crushed walnut shells. I get mine in a big bag from Petsmart. Cheaper than from the gun shops.

If you get a tumbler, then seriously consider getting something like this too. It'll make your reloading life much easier.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...s+separator+&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I haven't loaded a batch for a while, so there are probably some tips that I've forgotten. I strongly suggest that you get your hands on a copy of The ABC's of Reloading. It's a good reference manual. You could borrow my copy if you ever get up my way, or I could bring it down next time I'm headed your way.

Sent from my hacked Droid tablet. How do you like them Apples?