Reloading How to, 9mm

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Some of you may not get over to the "other" gun site, So I thought I would post this here, Not sure if any one here would care to read it or not, But here it is!

I've been asked to go through the steps for reloading to show you that its not all that difficult as long as you go slow till you get more comfortable with reloading and check your work.

If you really want to learn how to reload, Go pick up a reloading book from the Library or any sporting goods store, Read through it, If you decide you DO want to reload follow the warning's and hint in the books, They are there for a reason, I was nervous the first few times I learned a new bullet, But its not difficult if you go slow till you know what you are doing, I still have plenty to learn

What I like to do first is remove the spent primer, This is done with the de-capping/resizing die, Just slip the shell holder in place, Then the shell, Give the lever a pull and you have just removed your first primer.

5376787453_0c501fa14a_z.jpg

5376787735_79dea448cf_z.jpg

5377388628_9765624b98_z.jpg

Many of the dies for the pistol sizes are carbide so you will not need to lubricate the cases.
After primer removal, I like to clean the cases in a tumbler with crushed walnut, I bought this bag at Petsmart, Its cheaper, The cleaning usually takes about 6-8 hours.

5377388918_42296cbb7b_z.jpg

After that, Its back to the press, This time we will be using the neck sizer die so it is easier to fit the bullet, Some people do some people dont use this sizer, I'm still new enough I don't have a preference.

5377389152_0de635e056_z.jpg

Once all that is finished, its on to pressing in the primers, There are all sorts of gadgets for reloading, This is a cheap but useful one, Its a primer tray, It basically flips the primers over to the correct side by shacking the tray slightly.

5377389374_95a6bbda68_z.jpg

5376789031_7e7371c475_z.jpg

Next is filling the primer arm tube, There use to be small plastic fingers that would hold the primers in as you pushed the tube down on them, But Mine is missing, I add the primers into the top of the tube.

5377389892_21b25ff061_z.jpg

By pushing the arm into the tube mount it drops one primer at a time.

5376789523_998f7ae3a6_z.jpg

See!

Then you simply raise the case so you can push the arm under it and seat the primer by pulling up on the handle, Your press may be different.

5377390650_1eb1b05d67_z.jpg

And there you have a seated primer.

5376790189_16cd5b7983_z.jpg

And now the fun begins!
Switch to your bullet seating die, My powder measure is held in place with the seating die, Make sure you have room to work around things, Mine is in a tight space, But everything is within reach.

5376790405_e198a5240e_z.jpg

You will need to figure out how much powder is need, All powder brands are different, With mine I need 4.2 grains of powder, A good scale in very important, I like the balance type, But many use electric, What ever floats your boat, Just be sure to learn it so you can use it properly.

5377391294_9085e9f040_z.jpg

4.2gr. Not much is it.

5376790845_26678328f5_z.jpg

Now that you have your measures correct, its time to start charging the cases, All manuals will say to check every 10 throws, I have done this, It keeps things even, Also be sure to keep track of your filled cases so you don't get a double charge.
50 rounds charged.

5377391758_6a3950b958_z.jpg

Now is the time to seat your bullets, A good way to figure out how far to seat them is to purchase similar bullets from a gun shop, That way you will know the total overall length, As you get better and know more of what you may need or want you can change this to suit your needs.

5377391990_057aa71d27_z.jpg

When seating the bullet, Be sure to help keep it fairly straight as you raise it into the die, But don't smash your finger, It will give quite a pinch if you don't watch out, Then lower it down and viola! you have made your first bullet!

5376791643_2f2ea768a6_z.jpg

I work in groups of 50, Its what I have trays for, Go at your own pace, Focus on what you are doing.

5377392544_a38d7d41fa_z.jpg

Please remember to read up before you try to reload any ammunition.

Here is even a cheesy video of how it works one at a time.

Brian Making Bullets

I am still new to this if you have any suggestions or comment please feel free to let me know.
Thanks.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
If the cases are clean I could easily do 100 in an hour.

With a Dillon 550B press I load 400-500 per hour and I feel like I go slow. It takes a little while to set up compared to the single stage, but it does move faster once you are going.

For the specialty loads for hunting or make a variety to shoot through a gun to find something that shoots well the single station like shown is the way to go.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Just out of curiosity, is there a limit to how many times a case can be re-loaded?

I'm not 100% sure, But I think it could be 4-5 times, However, You should always inspect each piece before reloading for any defects, like cracks and bulges, Each person would have an opinion on this, Some people may only use it once and buy new cases, Its hard to say.
I have read some people annealing the brass to make it malleable again, But I have yet to try that or really read up on it.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Good info, thank you. How much did you spend on your press, and tools overall to get setup on reloading? Not including the consumables.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Good info, thank you. How much did you spend on your press, and tools overall to get setup on reloading? Not including the consumables.

Only $100.00! However it was my fathers, He hadn't used it in at least 20 years(early 80's) I traded off dies and other items I didn't need for some stuff I could use on Ammo Brass Trader very nice people there, Check on KSL in the reloading section from time to time, There is all sorts of stuff.
Here is a thread about my Man Cave that I put together, Its fairly small but it works for me.
Good luck

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Cool, thanks for the info. I've been interested in getting into reloading, because buying at $20 a box is no bueno.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
In the old days we would reload up to 100 times or more but we always checked for cracked or deformed brass. Of course we were reloading mild charges for target shooting. I remember now, we called them wad cutters.

Last edited:

kyojin

Great info and pictures to help people get started.

Starting off I highly recommend a single stage. I reloaded about 10k bullets on a RCBS Rock Chucker. I got to know the reloading process very well. Since I got into competition and shot a lot more I needed something faster so I went the progressive route. I picked up a Dillon 550b set up for 9mm for $330 from a shooting buddy. I still use my single stage for my .223 decap/size/swaging.

D94R

I'm not 100% sure, But I think it could be 4-5 times, However, You should always inspect each piece before reloading for any defects, like cracks and bulges, Each person would have an opinion on this, Some people may only use it once and buy new cases, Its hard to say.
I have read some people annealing the brass to make it malleable again, But I have yet to try that or really read up on it.

Old thread to the top, but I wanted to include some info as being able to reuse the cases is usually one big part of why we reload.

In a typical pistol case that is straight walled, if taken care of, you could reload it 15+ times before it eventually splits from work hardening. While it expands to fill the chamber, it does not grown in length (much; or really not enough to worry). When we resize it you are working it back to its natural size.

In a typical rifle case however, that's not the same situation. Rifle cases, because of design, will grow with every loading and firing. That is why trimming the case can be crucial at a certain point in usage. Because it grows, the brass gets thinner. I haven't loaded enough .223 to test one cases limits, but I would say in a high pressure round like that one should be able to get atleast 4-5 loadings, and with proper sizing and care of the casing I'd bet you could get atleast 10 loads per case.

As pointed out by jackjoh, if loading low pressure for target shooting, then the life of the cases for pistol and rifle increases dramatically.