Renewing car registration online

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I can tell you right now that you are on the wrong website. Is that a .gov or a .org site? ;)

You basically just paid a 3rd party to register your vehicle for you if you continued with that.
It’s the renewal express site which is the only online option Utah has. I’ve always used it but never seen this ridiculous fee before.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yup, that’s where it starts and then it takes you to where I was. It’s different
Something happened along the line there. Our payment process does not accept paypal or apple pay. I'm not messing with you man. I'm actually curious about how REX redirected you to that.

N-Smooth

Something happened along the line there. Our payment process does not accept paypal or apple pay. I'm not messing with you man. I'm actually curious about how REX redirected you to that.
That’s wild cause I literally followed the instructions and did it just as I have for years. I put in my license plate number and PIN number and everything. At some point it switched over to expressrenew.com

EDIT: I wish I could do it again to see when the redirect happened cause that’s SHADY but it just tells me it’s done… on the renewalexpress site.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That’s wild cause I literally followed the instructions and did it just as I have for years. I put in my license plate number and PIN number and everything. At some point it switched over to expressrenew.com

EDIT: I wish I could do it again to see when the redirect happened cause that’s SHADY but it just tells me it’s done… on the renewalexpress site.
I may have to call you tomorrow and get more details if you'd be ok with that.

Coco

We do on the spot renewals here at our shop, and have never seen that. Customers pay our shop $8 to do it, but they get the sticker in store, and they get charged whatever that fee is (in your case posted - the $98.25) to the state.

N-Smooth

We do on the spot renewals here at our shop, and have never seen that. Customers pay our shop $8 to do it, but they get the sticker in store, and they get charged whatever that fee is (in your case posted - the $98.25) to the state.
Yup that’s what I do when I have to do emissions testing, just do on the spot and be done. But this year the car doesn’t need it so driving to the shop to get it done and still pay $8 seems silly. I’d rather spend $18 and do it from home I guess… 🤣

85CUCVKRAWLER

This is off topic but im so happy Utah does (basically) a flat tax on all vehicles, $110 per year per vehicle.

Technically i lived in Virginia for 2 whole months this year and my county sent me a $600 personal property tax bill for my four vehicles. Which at the time was a 2003 Acura MDX with 200k miles, a 1996 Toyota T100 rusted to death, a 1985 K5, and 1 day of ownership of a 2018 Toyota Tundra.

That not even that bad for the east coast. Hence, **** the east cuast.

N-Smooth

This is off topic but im so happy Utah does (basically) a flat tax on all vehicles, $110 per year per vehicle.

Technically i lived in Virginia for 2 whole months this year and my county sent me a $600 personal property tax bill for my four vehicles. Which at the time was a 2003 Acura MDX with 200k miles, a 1996 Toyota T100 rusted to death, a 1985 K5, and 1 day of ownership of a 2018 Toyota Tundra.

That not even that bad for the east coast. Hence, **** the east cuast.
It's age-based and then they add another fee on top of it but yeah. The wife's car was $175.75

I swear that taxing us to death is the only thing the government is good at...

Houndoc

When I did registrations a couple weeks ago on my truck and horse trailer, it tried to kick me to a third party site if I just started to enter the website and don't type all the way to ".gov" Little bit of a scam of a way for a private company to get your money if you aren't really careful.