Replacement CJ Steering Shaft Questions

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
My CJ still has some play in the steering after installing a brand new steering box which I'm assuming is coming from the original steering shaft (tie rod ends looks great).

Is it worth dropping $280 on a Borgeson shaft or going with a basic OMIX ADA or standard replacement for less than half the price?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I have the Borgensen. It is way nice. I don’t remember it being that expensive but it works. You might be able to source a similar setup for much less but it’s probsbly going to take a lot of your time. I would never buy another stock replacement set up I went through several back in the day. It was a bad design. Is Flaming River still in business? They were cheaper back in the day for what looked like the same basic shaft.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I too run one, it was about what you are looking to pay. Did I notice a difference, nope, buy knowing that I have strong joints in that shaft is nice.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The design of the stock intermediate shaft leaves a lot to be desired. I'd spring for an aftermarket one with real u-joints.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
What Bryson said. The CJ steering shaft joint at the box is about as precise as a broom handle in a bucket of peanut butter. I'm pretty sure that's where the design came from.

I modified a YJ steering shaft to fit my CJ. It helped quite a bit. It's been a while though. Those pictures were about the 3rd and 4th pics ever uploaded to RME.