Replacement headlights

Omgbecki

Can't see nothing lol. Between old age, dang near 2 decades working graves, and moving out of the city it's getting very uncomfortable driving into Ogden from Corinne in my 04 Grand cherokee every day for work. Especially if the roads are wet at all. I've done the polish thing a few times over the years but thinking I should just open the wallet and get new housings. If anyone can direct me to a site that is decent quality and price I'd appreciate it. I'm plum dumb when it comes to ordering body parts. No idea if sites like Carparts.com are legit. Jeep is a stock daily so can't justify 300+ for headlights. I appreciate the assistance.

Omgbecki

I know what you're talking about, new headlights are crazy bright, in my VW I have a shadow in front of me where my headlights should be when I get a new truck behind me.

if you're just looking at replacement headlight housings maybe amazon?

There may be other options out there with a Jeep, maybe something that will blind all the other drivers ;)
Not intentionally trying to blind anyone. Might be a jerk move but if I can't find a decent balance of blinding someone or seeing the road. It's kind of a easy choice. I've blinded people with my LED lights on my TJ. I've been blinded as well. I've also had people complain that I'm blinding them in my stock height Jk with stock headlights. Moral of a long story, I can't please everyone. I will check Amazon and hope I can trust reviews

Omgbecki

I think you'll be happier if you put some LED bulbs in your stock housings as long as they're not totally perished.
I have thought of that. Kinda falls into the same category of not knowing a company to go with. My limited research has a few mentions of the light pattern changing based on how the bulbs are manufactured which are concerning. Trying to see the road not owls. I have also experienced snow build up on my TJ that has LED lights. Although I do know that the snow days are limited. In my opinion they are pretty faded or fogged up. Probably could clean them up a bit if I used a drill with a polish and pad. And some time. Got any suggestions for bulbs?

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
No specific recommendations to offer other than I had good luck scouring reviews on Amazon for complete housing assemblies for my '94 F350. I had swapped bulbs for middle of the road Sylvanias and polished my lenses. These China replacements are much better and hold their aim.
I think you'll find a fresh OEM style set to be an improvement, especially if you clean up all the electrical connections during replacement.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Brighter lights are fine as long as you get legit ones with projectors or bulbs that have a “cutoff” line. Adding LED bulbs to factory housings just blinds everybody.

Sorry but that's a blanket statement that isn't exactly true. You're confusing two different styles of lights.
If the light emmitance distance is the same as the original it will act as the original just brighter. Most LED bulbs either triple LEDs placed in a triangle or double LEDs facing back to back. You've got to do your research style is correct for your factory style housing. And it's very important to orient the new bulbs correctly in the housing as well.
You can also buy new LED housing that designed with an LED in mind and usually come with the corresponding LED pre-installed.
What you're referring to is e-codes.
This was a big problem when people would slap HIDs and factory housings without the correct projector style " ecode" housing The point at which the aftermarket HIDs emit light was so far different stock halogen bulbs that you'd get that blinding miserable light.

There are multiple forums dedicated to just relaying different folks results with different setups this is a great place to start if you really want to do bright lights on the cheap.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
All that being said I just have better halogens in my daily driver (actually prefer a more yellow stock style light if I'm going to pick a color temperature) but LEDs in my motorcycles because I want to be as visible as possible. And the stock stuff on my Ducati is about as good as a candle in a mason jar... LOL

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Sorry but that's a blanket statement that isn't exactly true. You're confusing two different styles of lights.
If the light emmitance distance is the same as the original it will act as the original just brighter. Most LED bulbs either triple LEDs placed in a triangle or double LEDs facing back to back. You've got to do your research style is correct for your factory style housing. And it's very important to orient the new bulbs correctly in the housing as well.
You can also buy new LED housing that designed with an LED in mind and usually come with the corresponding LED pre-installed.
What you're referring to is e-codes.
This was a big problem when people would slap HIDs and factory housings without the correct projector style " ecode" housing The point at which the aftermarket HIDs emit light was so far different stock halogen bulbs that you'd get that blinding miserable light.

There are multiple forums dedicated to just relaying different folks results with different setups this is a great place to start if you really want to do bright lights on the cheap.
All I know is it’s still a problem. I see people all the time in cars and trucks that didn’t come with bright lights that now have what are clearly aftermarket lights with enough lumens to cook an egg, going every which way. That and people that drive down the road with light bars on just completely drive me nuts. Makes me feel like a grumpy old man but whatever, it’s not safe.