Retaining wall / garage build

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
So apparently there was some misunderstanding/miscommunication on my part in regards to the trusses. I had asked for storage space in the trusses and assumed that would mean they would be built like an attic truss...only smaller scale for the 5/12 pitch.

The contractor called them "light duty storage" so I knew he understood the storage part. I finally got a schematic foe the trusses and it's not quite what I thought. They are building them, what looks like to me to be a normal truss. There isn't a center vertical web board nor are the webs off the center of the bottom chord at a 70* angle or so. Instead there is about a 6'6" span of open space along the bottom, in the center..but the webs still go up at an angle to the peak of the truss....so instead of creating a square opening in the middle of the truss its a triangle.....which seems to lessen the affective storage.

I dont want to delay the build and supposedly the attic truss style would be quite a bit more expensive. Can these be modified after the fact to be more verical? Would it even be worth it? Will I have decent amount of storage up there at all?
What I am getting vs. What I thought I would be getting
View attachment 129553

Man that is a rough one, if it were me, I would push for what you want. It is not something easily redone, but should be easy to be done right the first time...

But I have no building experience, so we should let the other guys chime in.

Pike2350

Not nearly as much to update as I would like. The lumber,or part of it was dropped off last Wed. The framers finally came on Friday. They put up 2 walls, although slightly incomplete and have not been back since. 🙄

The sheets and some studs and 2x6's were sitting out in the gutter this whole time....until yesterday morning when I go on my morning walk. The 10 or so sheets if chip board are gone...but whomever took them had the kindness to leave the studs and 2x6's🤬

Supposedly the framers have been waiting for the LVL beam for the garage door.....but the GC thought it was delivered on Tuesday..which it wasn't.

Now I feel I'm in the typical waiting game trying to not to get too irritated. I feel this is the typical way it goes with contractors. 20200807_144516.jpg

Pike2350

So another 10 days and framing is still not complete :mad:. The framers were supposedly waiting on the LVL beam for the garage door. That was delivered middle of last week. They still waited until Friday to show up and only worked for 3 hours. They framed the 3rd wall (man door and 2 windows) and sheeted most of the first 2 walls. This was 2 weeks between showing up and doing work.

The trusses were delivered yesterday....i just left them as is. I may worry about it later...but who knows. Framers should up today for 2 hours. Finishing framing on the 3rd wall and sheeting most of it. Still no 4th wall (garage door wall) i sent my contractor a very irritated text about this and the lack of communication about why such slow process. I'm finally told that the LVL beam was cut 3-4" short by the lumber company 🤬. Another, extra long one was delivered this afternoon.

Now I should have everything for the framers to finish by Friday.....but who knows.

20200825_192601.jpg20200825_192703.jpg20200825_192751.jpg

Pike2350

Question for any construction peeps here. I'm thinking in the future I'd like to make a bigger opening to get up in the storage area. Will the trusses be able to handle me using joist hangers to hang 1 of the trusses off a joist that runs between 2 trusses?

I would have the joist hangers inside the truss connections but want to take out the bottom stringer so I will have about 32" opening to access the storage. Red are new joists and blue is joist hangers. 20200826_184248.jpg

I'm looking to do 2 of these to access the storage area easier. Can these trusses handle that?

Pike2350

You cannot remove the bottom stringer. Trusses are a unit. Remove one link and they loose all their strength.

I'm not removing the bottom stringer completely...only a portion between the joints of the webs. I plan to keep all webbing in tact just hang the stringer off a hoist running between 2 trusses. The web joint (whatever you call it) would be on the stringer. The stringer would have about 6-12" from the web joint to the joist hanger...thus not jeopardizing the web and truss strength...at least that's my thought. I would likely cut it at the splice on one side as well. This would also only be 3 joists or so...just making access to various parts of the storage area easier to access. The part in green is what I would remove and hang the bottom chord off a joist and joist hanger right thereScreenshot_20200827-163830_Chrome.jpg

Tonkaman

I'm not removing the bottom stringer completely...only a portion between the joints of the webs. I plan to keep all webbing in tact just hang the stringer off a hoist running between 2 trusses. The web joint (whatever you call it) would be on the stringer. The stringer would have about 6-12" from the web joint to the joist hanger...thus not jeopardizing the web and truss strength...at least that's my thought. I would likely cut it at the splice on one side as well. This would also only be 3 joists or so...just making access to various parts of the storage area easier to access. The part in green is what I would remove and hang the bottom chord off a joist and joist hanger right thereView attachment 130371
No way I’d cut a truss, especially on the bottom chord. Nope

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Look at the top of your picture, imagine the arrow from "Apex (Peak)" is a force vector. (snow load, etc) The span of the truss is supported at two points, the walls. That puts that bottom chord in tension, keeping the whole thing rigid and strong. Cutting the bottom, regardless if you leave in the webs, will just make it want to pivot at the apex like a hinge.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Good call on the truss idea, it would have definitely caved under a good snow load. But if I may criticize one thing, it’s the windows. That’s just what a thief is looking for.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Easy entry for a thief, plus they can see what’s inside. I don’t put windows in garages I’ve built.

May not be super attractive, but you’ve got the option of fabbing up some interior bars. The windows in my shop are all 16’-ish from ground level and 2’ tall, but I still plan to have some sort of anti-window entry nonsense. If someone ever gets in, they have every tool to easily cut their way out. ...or simply go “Killdozer style” using a Kubota.

Pike2350

More progress. The siding was put on over the course of a few days. Last part to get signed off is the electrical.....and unfortunately due to the storm RMP is going to be slow getting the meter changes to the garage. That as well as some tie downs for the framing is all that's needed to get the permit closed out.

Then I have to rip out the old single car garage and convert back to a carport....finish the wall to the front driveway and have the new driveway poured from garage to existing driveway 20200921_193314.jpg20200918_173013.jpg