Ride Report; The O'Kokopelli campout/ride

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I spend 3 days riding around Moab with some of the Rockies members of ADVRider.com over the O'Kokopelli Campout. This was a fun event! I met a lot of new faces and wish I had ridden with more people than I did!

I spent much of the weekend riding with StmbtDave, TheAntiPaul and ArmyMedic on ADVRider. Over the weekend we covered Chicken Corners and the first part of Lockhart Basin on the 1st day, Friday, then the White Rim Trail on the 2nd day, then goofed off around Yellow Jacket Canyon and Dome Plateau trails on Sunday, the 3rd day.

829840145_t6cJ2-L.jpg

829841149_bsUu6-M.jpg

829842353_2C6fB-M.jpg

829843580_zuyo3-M.jpg

829843739_m5XkB-M.jpg

829843626_TWxxu-M.jpg

829844736_WhCg6-M.jpg

829843167_W9Vco-M.jpg

829841994_BPBMo-M.jpg

Greg

Admin
That's about as good as it gets :cool:

Great pics Greg thanks for sharing! I want to ride the White Rim on two wheels really bad.

It was a good time, I had so much fun! You should ride the White Rim Trail on the motorcycle, it's such a great ride.

looks awesome, any problems with the bike on the back?

Not really, it works well... a bit more body roll, but not bad. The carrier wobbles a bit in the hitch and the cheesy bracket/bolt system that is designed to take that wobble out is practically useless. On the road it's not really an issue though, it's stable enough. Every now and again when you look in the rear-view mirror you will see the bike move from side to side, but after several hundred miles, I trust it to haul my piggy DR650.

Caleb

It was a good time, I had so much fun! You should ride the White Rim Trail on the motorcycle, it's such a great ride.

Not really, it works well... a bit more body roll, but not bad. The carrier wobbles a bit in the hitch and the cheesy bracket/bolt system that is designed to take that wobble out is practically useless. On the road it's not really an issue though, it's stable enough. Every now and again when you look in the rear-view mirror you will see the bike move from side to side, but after several hundred miles, I trust it to haul my piggy DR650.
Did you get that rack from Rocky Mountain ATV? I just picked up their rack so if that's it, it's good to hear some feedback. Looks like a killer trip...I'm jealous. :cool:

Greg

Admin
Did you get that rack from Rocky Mountain ATV? I just picked up their rack so if that's it, it's good to hear some feedback. Looks like a killer trip...I'm jealous. :cool:

That would be the one. It works well enough, I picked up my current DR650 in Topeka, KS and hauled it back with that rack. I think it was around 800 miles one way. Tie it down front and back and hit the road, I had no problems.

You should have been on this ride... ;) There will always be more.

Greg

Admin
BTW... the guy riding this built CRF450 is Paul, from Highway Dirt Bikes here in Colorado.-

829841149_bsUu6-M.jpg

Paul is a good guy and he builds some killer parts. His most well known product are his revolutionary hand guards, which have been used on bikes in the Baja 1000. They are really years ahead of all other handguard products out there. Check out his website and think about adding some of his parts to your bike!

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/

I'll be saving up for some of those killer handguards. :cool:

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
Nice pics! I'm going to try out Moab on a bike soon. I hear its as good if not better than wheelin. I hope to do it soon though and see for myself:)

Ogre Palowakski

Maybe a silly question but here goes...

How do you get the bike on the rack? Does it tilt down so you can ride or roll it up the ramp and then lock it in the horizontal position (or something like that)?

Greg

Admin
Nice pics! I'm going to try out Moab on a bike soon. I hear its as good if not better than wheelin. I hope to do it soon though and see for myself:)

Thanks! Riding Moab on a bike it different than a 4x4, for sure. Obviously you can't pack as much, but on the other hand, you can cover more ground, quicker. Each one has it's payoffs.

Maybe a silly question but here goes...

How do you get the bike on the rack? Does it tilt down so you can ride or roll it up the ramp and then lock it in the horizontal position (or something like that)?

There's a ramp that you use to roll the bike up & down to the actual carrier. It's not bad to load, but unloading can be tougher with a heavy bike like mine.